Gopher Illustrated's Ryan James hints that a transfer big is coming to Minnesota

I would take Shakur Juiston. Even if he's coming off an injury. We're never going to get a replacement for Murphy, but the best we can do is hope our depth at the 4 spot is better and Oturu continues to improve. I would take a depth chart of Juiston, Curry and Ihnen. Supposedly Ihnen can play some 3 so you might have some position flexibility.

Ihnen wants to play the 3, which has me worried.. I don' think he's a good fit. He should go to Tennessee or TCU.. we should be going hard after Sherfield and Crowley

Ihnen wants to play the 3, which has me worried.. I don' think he's a good fit. He should go to Tennessee or TCU.. we should be going hard after Sherfield and Crowley

Coffey isn't going to be here forever, from his film he looks like a great SF replacement for Amir.

if you can get talent, you take talent

What film are you watching? Him playing against nobodies in a tiny German gym?

The basket is the same dimensions as the basket in Williams arena! He looks good filling it from the outside!

Coffey isn't going to be here forever, from his film he looks like a great SF replacement for Amir.

Hey, if Pitino is recruiting him hard he must have talent. Having said that, I just got a bad feeling about him. He's an international player who is looking for the perfect situation. Not sure we can provide that. If Coffey does come back (which he likely will), will this Ihnen guy want to sit on the bench for a team not ranked in the Top 25? I feel like the Big12 is the perfect conference for him. Not sure Minnesota and the Big10 is

Hey, if Pitino is recruiting him hard he must have talent. Having said that, I just got a bad feeling about him. He's an international player who is looking for the perfect situation. Not sure we can provide that. If Coffey does come back (which he likely will), will this Ihnen guy want to sit on the bench for a team not ranked in the Top 25? I feel like the Big12 is the perfect conference for him. Not sure Minnesota and the Big10 is

He is being recruited by Tennessee. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

If Coffey is back and we get a decent PF, we will be ranked very close to the top 25.

By the way, how soon can transfer start announcing where they are taking their talents?

why is the Big12 the perfect conference for him?

If Coffey is back and we get a decent PF, we will be ranked very close to the top 25.

Sorry to be the killjoy, but that's a big if. How many teams are NOT looking for help at power forward or shooting guard? I hope it happens, but the supply and demand curve are not in our favor.

why is the Big12 the perfect conference for him?

the Big12 typically values length and athletes. look at Iowa State. most if not all of their wing players are 6'6+

that's not a given in the Big10.. if you are a 6'9 wing player in our league, you might have to guard a 6'4 combo guard.. that doesn't work well in a man-to-man defense

Not really following you. Coffey is going to be a senior, so if he's good enough, he could be our starting SF for 3 years. There also isn't a rule that PFs have to live in the paint. If he's playing the 4, he can still effectively play like a 3 on offense, he would just have to defend a bigger player. We need shooters and a replacement for Coffey once he's gone. Ihnen seems like a great fit to me.

?

Huh? You take this kid if he wants to come here.

Furthermore, we only played 2 true posts for last 4 years because murph couldn't shoot from outside. In pitinos ideal offense, we would have guys 1-4 able to shoot and a 5man setting screens and staying on the low block (but by all means, work on your outside shooting!)

We really dont have a "this guy is a 3 and this guy is a 4" anymore.

Sorry to be the killjoy, but that's a big if. How many teams are NOT looking for help at power forward or shooting guard? I hope it happens, but the supply and demand curve are not in our favor.

The supply of grad and traditional transfers will be the highest its ever been with the transfer portal and there already was a plentiful supply before it. I like our chances.

Averaged 10.4 and 5.3 last year, redshirted this year so I think he is a grad transfer.

If Carr/ Washington point guard team works out, Curry & Omersa improve, Coffey returns , Oturu bulks up, and We land a stellar transfer OMIGOD !!! SWEET 16!!!!!

If Carr/ Washington point guard team works out, Curry & Omersa improve, Coffey returns , Oturu bulks up, and We land a stellar transfer OMIGOD !!! SWEET 16!!!!!
Just calm down, Francis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The basket is the same dimensions as the basket in Williams arena! He looks good filling it from the outside!

But they do use a smaller ball though overseas although the 3 point line is farther back than both HS and college. Not as small as a women's ball but smaller than the men's ball. So I don't know if it is easier or harder to hit 3's there than it is here.

The supply of grad and traditional transfers will be the highest its ever been with the transfer portal and there already was a plentiful supply before it. I like our chances.

I hope you're right. I'm not a fan of the grad transfer, but play by the rules of the game. Thanks for keeping us updated on the possibilities.

We need a big guy in the worst way. Way too much assuming that Curry can be a significant contributor coming back from brutal injuries. If he does, great. But it cannot be assumed in the spring recruiting cycle. I'm sure Richard is looking for my advice.

I just heard that Louisville had three grad transfers on its roster this year. Not sure who they were and how much they played, but it clearly was a strategy to populate the team in their transition mode, and they had a pretty good season.

Last edited:

No doubt about it, that stroke would be deadly paired with Oturu and Coffey. Two pure shooters, two slashers and a good post man is nice balance.

he's 6'8 and rebounds.......Gophers need a player like this. To your point, balance.

But they do use a smaller ball though overseas although the 3 point line is farther back than both HS and college. Not as small as a women's ball but smaller than the men's ball. So I don't know if it is easier or harder to hit 3's there than it is here.

FIBA ball is 29.5"
USA mens ball is 29.5"
Women's ball is 28.5"

Top Bottom