Gopher Heisman Candidates - 2020

gopherall

Reaction score
Per The News Gazette: Top 100 Heisman Candidates the Gophers have 3 of the top 100

24. Tanner Morgan
Minnesota, Quarterback
Kentuckian made massive strides as a sophomore, throwing for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns. A big reason the Gophers are the team to beat in the Big Ten West.

65. Rashod Bateman
Minnesota, Wide receiver
From beat writer Megan Ryan of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune

With Tyler Johnson off the NFL, Bateman is now the big star of the receiving corps. That can be good and bad.

The junior excelled last year with his 1,219 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns oftentimes because opponents double-teamed Johnson, leaving Bateman ready to strike.

Now he’ll have to endure the extra attention, which undoubtedly will take some adjustment.

But he’s an incredibly talented receiver, capable of making eye-popping catches. And he’s already projected as a potential top-10 pick in next year’s NFL draft

86. Mohamed Ibrahim
Minnesota, Running back
Injuries slowed him in 2019, cutting his production from 1,160 yards in ‘18 to 604. Ran for 140 in the Outback Bowl win against Auburn.

I think while we are at it we may as well add a couple of tied for 101s.

101. Daniel Faalele
Unlike Daniel from the bible, this Daniel is the GIANT. At a towering 6’8 and 375 pounds of pure muscle the Gophers expect another huge jump in skill from Faalele in his Junior season, for Daniel it may just be enough to get him a look at some Heisman votes.

101. Boye Mafe
A physical specimen that needs to fine tune his game. Uf he can do that he may just crack into the Heisman list.

101. Tyler Nubin
A very long shot but he will be filling one of a few holes in the defensive backfield this year and has been heralded as playmaker

101.Chris Autman Bell / Demetrius Douglas
With Bateman getting all the attention as the lead WR this year that will mean plenty of looks for Douglas and Autman Bell both are explosive and had been stuck behind Bateman and Tyler Johnson. One or both could have a huge year especially with Douglas showing some promise returning punts.

Pretty clear with Mo that they are just looking at stats and making assumptions on why his numbers took a hit last year. Doubt he will do enough to get into the Heisman talk but really excited to see what he can do.

Unfortunately the Heisman is basically just for QBs these days so Morgan would need some really eye popping numbers similar to what Burrow did last year to offset the fact that running is not a huge part of his game.

Still, fun to see our guys listed as even possible candidates.

Pretty clear with Mo that they are just looking at stats and making assumptions on why his numbers took a hit last year. Doubt he will do enough to get into the Heisman talk but really excited to see what he can do.

Unfortunately the Heisman is basically just for QBs these days so Morgan would need some really eye popping numbers similar to what Burrow did last year to offset the fact that running is not a huge part of his game.

Seems like you almost have to be in the national title discussion too. If we go 8-4 but Morgan has crazy stats would they consider him?

Yeah he wasn’t hurt. PJ wanted to allow Rodney to finish out his career. I do think Mo could have a huge year this year though, as you said it’s a QB’s trophy now but he’s a good back however you cut it

Seems like you almost have to be in the national title discussion too. If we go 8-4 but Morgan has crazy stats would they consider him?
No (see: anthony gordon)

No (see: anthony gordon)

Edit - I see you are agreeing with me. Here are the last 20 Heisman winners and their team records. The average record is 12-1. Only 3 winners had 3 losses, none with 4. It's a longshot with 3 losses and almost no chance with 4. I do think PJ helps our cause though, as he is good at getting our brand out into the spotlight.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

The News Gazette can suck it! If you include the defense, the Gophs have at least 22 of the top 100 players up for the Heisman!!!! Big Dan leading the way.
OK, back to reality..... It still is surprising to actually be in this type of conversation. But I think Harblow and his diarrhea pants are overrated, and with that, I don't see the Gophs losing more than 2 games. Iowa and Michigan at home should be wins. Of course the home crowd unknown allowable attendance might be a factor. But if the Gophs go 10-2, and Morgan has the same season as last, other than Fields, and Lawrence, can a case be made that he is top 3 and at worst goes to New York for the revealing? Of course there a lot of studs all over the country, but if Morgan repeats last year, what do you guys think?

The News Gazette can suck it! If you include the defense, the Gophs have at least 22 of the top 100 players up for the Heisman!!!! Big Dan leading the way.
OK, back to reality..... It still is surprising to actually be in this type of conversation. But I think Harblow and his diarrhea pants are overrated, and with that, I don't see the Gophs losing more than 2 games. Iowa and Michigan at home should be wins. Of course the home crowd unknown allowable attendance might be a factor. But if the Gophs go 10-2, and Morgan has the same season as last, other than Fields, and Lawrence, can a case be made that he is top 3 and at worst goes to New York for the revealing? Of course there a lot of studs all over the country, but if Morgan repeats last year, what do you guys think?
He’s going to have to add 2000 passing yards on his total or run for about 1000 more yards to have a shot. Burrow threw for 5600 yards last season and kyler ran all over the field the season prior

He’s going to have to add 2000 passing yards on his total or run for about 1000 more yards to have a shot. Burrow threw for 5600 yards last season and kyler ran all over the field the season prior

Thanks. I didn't look up the stats from last year, but that would make sense as to why he is not being mentioned higher than he is. I had no idea Burrow threw for 2,000 yards more. As the late, great Harry Carey would say: "HOLY COW!!!!!"
I think running for 1,000 more is out of the question - he doesn't have the hair for it. Although, his mustache begs to differ.....

Thanks. I didn't look up the stats from last year, but that would make sense as to why he is not being mentioned higher than he is. I had no idea Burrow threw for 2,000 yards more. As the late, great Harry Carey would say: "HOLY COW!!!!!"
I think running for 1,000 more is out of the question - he doesn't have the hair for it. Although, his mustache begs to differ.....
Yeah, he will beed some gaudy stats to get Heisman consideration

Top Bottom