Gopher Game Day Experience

adam0688

Reaction score

I recommend getting rid of the PA guy, and ending the practice of him reading 100 ads during every dead space. Bring in a grizzled guy with a rich tough voice to recap the ball carrier, tackler, down distance, etc, and get rid of GOOOOOLLLLDEEEEEEN GOOOPHERRR TOUCHDOOOOOWWWWNnnnnn and all the WWF nonsense. Lets act like a big time program and lets get rid of the Busch league antics to try to draw families.

First down chant was less annoying last year, but I stress that in a game we are losing or having trouble moving the ball, dispense with the "ANOTTHER!" Nonsense.

Took survey. Hope to see the results soon! Will be interesting to see!

Myself, I would have liked to see some additional questions if you rated a certain category low or high, what were the things that led to that rating as far as before and in game experiences go.

Took survey. Appreciate it. It made me realize that the in stadium atmosphere is really important to me. Perhaps more important than almost anything else. Perhaps that's why I've pined for the divided Ski-U-Mah chant so much in the past. And handful of coordinated cheers and a packed student section that stands up and yells and I'd be jacked up for every game.

I've missed some of the big games but it is damn fun when it's full and things go well. Interception vs Syracuse on first play comes to mind.

I recommend getting rid of the PA guy, and ending the practice of him reading 100 ads during every dead space. Bring in a grizzled guy with a rich tough voice to recap the ball carrier, tackler, down distance, etc, and get rid of GOOOOOLLLLDEEEEEEN GOOOPHERRR TOUCHDOOOOOWWWWNnnnnn and all the WWF nonsense. Lets act like a big time program and lets get rid of the Busch league antics to try to draw families.

First down chant was less annoying last year, but I stress that in a game we are losing or having trouble moving the ball, dispense with the "ANOTTHER!" Nonsense.

Definitely agree.

Minnesota's PA guy =

I just finished the survey. Went out of my way to praise the PA announcer as I think he does a really nice job.

Done. Curious as to the final results. Hopefully this gets distributed to far more groups than just us Gopherhole rubes, lest we bias the results.

Oh, and for the record, I also like PA Announcer guy. Does a solid job. Wish we could get the Cenex guy back (more ad $$$ Cenex, pony up!) "C'mon Gopher fans. Let's get energized." Total deadpan. And it has a nice subtle sarcastic tone to it when we are down 4 scores going into the 4th.

I just finished the survey. Went out of my way to praise the PA announcer as I think he does a really nice job.

AMPLATZ, CASE I H, TIME FOR SNICKERS WACKIEST FAN, ANOOTHHHHEER. GOLLLLDEN GOPOHEEERRRRRRRRR,!!,! Touchdown Cornhuskers.

You must love nails on a chalkboard and phony people. :)

AMPLATZ, CASE I H, TIME FOR SNICKERS WACKIEST FAN, ANOOTHHHHEER. GOLLLLDEN GOPOHEEERRRRRRRRR,!!,! Touchdown Cornhuskers.

You have a problem with Amplatz Children's Hospital Ads??? Seriously?

You have a problem with Amplatz Children's Hospital Ads??? Seriously?

Ads generally, I couldn't remember other ones. Those ads make me sad though, so I guess I do dislike them.

A few things...

I took the survey and was surprised at how few questions there were - it seems like they could drill deeper.

The PA Guy has no control over the number of, or wording of, advertisements - so get off his back on that topic.

Personally, I like the PA Guy. I respect other people's right to dislike him, but I think he is trying to get the crowd involved. Having been to other team's stadiums I can say that other PA announcers are a little more subdued - but I think that is because the crowds at other stadiums don't need any help getting into the game.

A few things...

I took the survey and was surprised at how few questions there were - it seems like they could drill deeper.

The PA Guy has no control over the number of, or wording of, advertisements - so get off his back on that topic.

Personally, I like the PA Guy. I respect other people's right to dislike him, but I think he is trying to get the crowd involved. Having been to other team's stadiums I can say that other PA announcers are a little more subdued - but I think that is because the crowds at other stadiums don't need any help getting into the game.

Does the PA Guy have any control over how many times he says "Rah" throughout the game? Judging by your handle, I may be asking the wrong cat.

Well, considering he says it at the end of the Rouser, where it's supposed to be said, I guess not really. Travel around to other stadiums and all the PA guys read advertisements and say things excitedly for their own team when a big play happens. The students love the first down cheer (and to be honest, it's one of the few things we do that isn't blatantly copied from another school). Jamie does the football and hockey games and is the voice of being at a Gopher game to me.

I think the OP should check out the recent thread around student atmosphere - creating a framework for them to have fun is key. Why? It gets them to the stadium (which many are not today). It creates traditions and nostalgia directly surrounding the football program (not just drinking in their own garage, which they can and do any other time of the year). These make them want to continue coming back to games when they graduate. Scrape for a ticket a year when they can't get season tickets (afford or break the wait list), and eventually become diehard every-gamers.

Many of the things the U could do to allow for a natural, fun environment for students will also have a positive effect on regular STHs and guests. Just my take.

They really need to address the differences between the first and second half. The 1st half they almost never play music inbetween play and is where they do all of the 'downer' type stuff like those ridiculous health tips promos 'you will be healthier if you excersise more or drink more water' REALLY?!? which is just an insane use of time and decreases energy and enthusiasm in the stadium. Then the second half they play all the music and less promos or videos and what do ya know the crowd is more enthusiastic, up dancing, and cheering louder than they were in the first half.

They really need to address the differences between the first and second half. The 1st half they almost never play music inbetween play and is where they do all of the 'downer' type stuff like those ridiculous health tips promos 'you will be healthier if you excersise more or drink more water' REALLY?!? which is just an insane use of time and decreases energy and enthusiasm in the stadium. Then the second half they play all the music and less promos or videos and what do ya know the crowd is more enthusiastic, up dancing, and cheering louder than they were in the first half.

A couple of things--

I don't think the PA guy and the scoreboard crap is any different anywhere else. It's obnoxious everywhere, just different obnoxious.

As for the second half doldrums--my family and I have noticed that forever. No matter what happens in the first half, the second half of Minnesota games always start quietly and politely.

I hate to say it, but part of it is just "Minnesotans". We're a bit too passive agressive, and a bit too self-loathing. Killer instinct is taught and learned. Maybe we could start out the second half, including the kick-off and the complete first drive with some sort of raucous participation event that involves lots of noise???

We used to joke that once halftime is over that Minnesotans are trying to figure out what time they can leave to beat the traffic to get ready for Sunday church

We should to the Ski-U-Mah cheer for third down. The problem with doing Ski-U-Mah on the kickoff is so few people are aware of it. The moment comes and goes with only a few people doing the cheer. But yelling on third down does on for a good 30 seconds or more. People don't need to have prior awareness of the cheer, they can join in. People yell on third down, but in an uncoordinated way. and the yelling can die out by the time of the snap.

And as far as the PA guy and the "... and that's another Golden Gopher... first down!" that's one thing the fans actually participate in. Take that away, and the atmosphere gets worse.

took the survey. biggest part that disappoints me is lack of fan engagement during the game. Thinking back to the Cuse game (we were 3-0, night game, etc.) where we should've had fans ready to go, really no one wanted to stand up and cheer our defense to make a stop until I or someone else stood up and told them to get up. And even then only half of them would get up and cheer (until the 4th quarter when it looked like we would win). It seems to be that either the age of the fans (not purposely knocking our older fans, but they appear to be less likely to engage in the game) or the disappointments of the past are preventing fans from wanting to cheer in game.

It just kind of makes me sad to see the team on the sideline waving towels to get fans going when they are trying to feed off the crowd and the majority of the upper deck sits on their hands.

took the survey. biggest part that disappoints me is lack of fan engagement during the game. Thinking back to the Cuse game (we were 3-0, night game, etc.) where we should've had fans ready to go, really no one wanted to stand up and cheer our defense to make a stop until I or someone else stood up and told them to get up. And even then only half of them would get up and cheer (until the 4th quarter when it looked like we would win). It seems to be that either the age of the fans (not purposely knocking our older fans, but they appear to be less likely to engage in the game) or the disappointments of the past are preventing fans from wanting to cheer in game.

It just kind of makes me sad to see the team on the sideline waving towels to get fans going when they are trying to feed off the crowd and the majority of the upper deck sits on their hands.

This survey isn't going to be very useful IMO. Too superficial, and too vanilla.
Honestly it's not brain surgery, go to a successful college football program's gameday, or several, and see what their fans(all fans, students, rich donors, casual, hardcore, families, young alums, etc) enjoy. Bring that back here in some form.

I honestly can't comprehend why it's so hard for them to realize why they are not selling out. I hate to accuse the U of honestly just not wanting a raucous atmosphere and simply paying lip service towards improving it, but it just is so infuriating that nobody can "figure it out"
It's a crappy gameday, and a crappy atmosphere because it's not driven by the students and the hardcore fans. Those are the groups who will put the most energy into the stadium and the pregame festivities.

Our pregame, stadium, and gameday atmosphere is driven by who?
The U itself, in as controlled and generic way possible.
With help from corporate sponsors and with an eye towards catering to older fans who donate, and to families who will not offend the neighborhood groups around the stadium. Yippee do.

This survey isn't going to be very useful IMO. Too superficial, and too vanilla.
Honestly it's not brain surgery, go to a successful college football program's gameday, or several, and see what their fans(all fans, students, rich donors, casual, hardcore, families, young alums, etc) enjoy. Bring that back here in some form.

I honestly can't comprehend why it's so hard for them to realize why they are not selling out. I hate to accuse the U of honestly just not wanting a raucous atmosphere and simply paying lip service towards improving it, but it just is so infuriating that nobody can "figure it out"
It's a crappy gameday, and a crappy atmosphere because it's not driven by the students and the hardcore fans. Those are the groups who will put the most energy into the stadium and the pregame festivities.

Our pregame, stadium, and gameday atmosphere is driven by who?
The U itself, in as controlled and generic way possible.
With help from corporate sponsors and with an eye towards catering to older fans who donate, and to families who will not offend the neighborhood groups around the stadium. Yippee do

there is a good bit of truth in this statement. especially the very last part of it. that is part of the problem with living in a state where so much stuff is run by politically correct, passive aggressive, bleeding heart, need to please everybody, liberal jack-offs who often deep down despise organized sports as well as the average joes/janes who happen to like organized sports and the raucousness that comes with it.

Do you think the PA Announcer recites those ads on his own, for fun, with no direction by others to do so? Really?

Let's make sure we aren't throwing a PA Announcer under the bus for something he can't control.

And for the record, I do NOT like all the ads during Gopher games, regardless if they are taking up a sizable portion of the video screen, being read by the PA announcer, or paraded in front of me with boxes of snickers. I don't like it, but as others have said it is also far to common in other college stadiums too and I can tell you from first hand experience these ads happen elsewhere all the time. I just would never think to shoot the messenger over this unfortuante development in college football stadiums.

The U's responsibility lies in creating and fostering an environment for raucous sell-out crowds. It's the fans that make it so, though.

Honestly, I'm not overly worried about this 'problem' at all. Why? Because we've had the environment we crave in TCF before, it's not that it's never happened. The Air Force, Michigan State, and Syracuse games proved that. I'd also say we were very close to matching those games in crowd support for the Cal and USC games.

During Brewster's first season, I went to a road game at IU. The Hoosiers were 7-1 at the time, an unheard of record for them. It was a beautiful day, 80 degrees and sunny, with acres of parking right next to the stadium for tailgating. All this, and their stadium was half full, at best. THAT'S when you worry about game day experience and fans turning out.

As the Gopher's improve their product on the field, we'll have better and more energized crowds, and that will carry on to season-tix sales in the following year.

The U's responsibility lies in creating and fostering an environment for raucous sell-out crowds. It's the fans that make it so, though.

Honestly, I'm not overly worried about this 'problem' at all. Why? Because we've had the environment we crave in TCF before, it's not that it's never happened. The Air Force, Michigan State, and Syracuse games proved that. I'd also say we were very close to matching those games in crowd support for the Cal and USC games.

During Brewster's first season, I went to a road game at IU. The Hoosiers were 7-1 at the time, an unheard of record for them. It was a beautiful day, 80 degrees and sunny, with acres of parking right next to the stadium for tailgating. All this, and their stadium was half full, at best. THAT'S when you worry about game day experience and fans turning out.

As the Gopher's improve their product on the field, we'll have better and more energized crowds, and that will carry on to season-tix sales in the following year.

agreed. and i think that teague truly "gets" this and is going to do his darned best in trying to twist some administrative arms as much as he can to help foster it and then let the fans take responsibility for building it from there. whether it be through policy changes or changes to different "unwritten rules" the administration may have forced athletics to live by in the past to try and keep far to many different parties "happy" as it concerns events, fan behavior during game days.

That's why there are four major league sports teams in the Twin Cities, because people here hate organized sports so much. :rolleyes:

That's why there are four major league sports teams in the Twin Cities, because people here hate organized sports so much. :rolleyes:

didn't say that average people dislike organized sports. my point was a good number of the liberal, PC turds in political places of power in this state are deep down not big fans of it nor are they big fans of the people that do enjoy them. but nice work with the selective reading. :rolleyes:

The U (and the city of Minne-piss) has to stop or at least drastically reduce the controlling and "scripting" of the fun! This alone will lead to organic growth of an excellent game day experience...

Because of my Job (I have to work every Saturday - usually until Noon or so) I have never been able to attend a game at TCF. I used to go to some of the night games at the Metrodome. (It's a 3-hour drive for me to get to the U campus.)

My point is - I don't remember all of these ads and announcements during the Dome era. Is this something New?

As far as the PA announcing - I notice that when I watch games on TV (ususally have to DVR the early kickoff games), and I don't like it. If you have to tell the fans to cheer for a 1st down, then what does that say about the fans. To me, it feels like the PA is intruding into the game.

didn't say that average people dislike organized sports. my point was a good number of the liberal, PC turds in political places of power in this state are deep down not big fans of it nor are they big fans of the people that do enjoy them. but nice work with the selective reading. :rolleyes:

This is quite a stretch considering it's been Democrats who have led the way for Minnesota getting new sports stadiums in the last 10 years.

Because of my Job (I have to work every Saturday - usually until Noon or so) I have never been able to attend a game at TCF. I used to go to some of the night games at the Metrodome. (It's a 3-hour drive for me to get to the U campus.)

Time to get thee to a night game. They've been the best, atmosphere-wise anyways. My suggestion to you is to procure some seats for the August 29 home opener vs. UNLV. Get there man!

My reading isn't selective at all. If people in power hated sports, there wouldn't be four major league teams in the Twin Cities. Instead of having Target Field, the Twins would have been contracted. Instead of a new Vikings Stadium, the Vikings would be playing in LA. The Timberwolves would have left years ago and the Wild never would have come here. And there would have been no TCF Bank Stadium. I'll stick with evidence.

Top Bottom