Gopher football must have a gag order

I look forward to the day when we completely automate referee jobs. I'm surprised no one has invested in it yet. Would require really sensitive sensors on the ball, field, sidelines, players, etc. Take the bias out of it - let the computers figure it out.
This should have been done in MLB for stikes and balls a long time ago. They've got the tech to do it.

Y’all worry too much about this stuff. Fleck blasting the officials isn’t going to get the Gophers more calls in the future.
I could care less about that, officiating is part of the game. Where I get angry is when a rule that was put in place to protect players’ brains is violated so blatantly, and results in a player going limp due to the textbook violation of the rule. Much, much more accountability is needed.

Perhaps. There seems to be a huge inconsistency with the targeting rule. I'm assuming that its the guy on the field making the decision. Perhaps it needs to go to someone in headquarters making those calls for some consistency. Making mistakes in replay to me is uncalled for, particularly the blatant ones.
This^^^^^^^^. This 1 million percent. 3 guys at a central location review every targeting call for every Big Ten game.

Can't they submit the call to the NCAA for review or something like that?
I was just thinking about that. There had been a post-game review request to the NCAA during the Kill era. I don't recall which game. The NCAA admitted that it was a blown call is all I can remember.

Refs are human. I can understand that. So are fans and coaches. One has to wonder if there was interpretative tOSU bias on the Brown-Stephens hit. Somebody mention there was a targeting call and an ejection in the Purdue game with a less egregious hit.

The NCAA wants decorum and control. So, I don't the gag rule.

I could care less about that, officiating is part of the game. Where I get angry is when a rule that was put in place to protect players’ brains is violated so blatantly, and results in a player going limp due to the textbook violation of the rule. Much, much more accountability is needed.
agreed 100%. After review it seemed obvious.

Gopher football has been on the short side of the stick against all the major Big Ten power programs when it comes to officiating for at least several decades. Gophers and the athletic department have largely remained publicly silent. If you think this tactic is "working" to better this gap, then I wonder what failing looks like to you.
Nearly every fan base thinks the refs are out to get their team. Go on any fan site after a loss, I guarantee you will find someone blaming the refs.

Gopher football must have a gag order on questions to the head coach about officiating calls. From a fan perspective that’s a question a reporter HAS to ask! What did you think about the biggest play of the game coach (duh)? The hit on Brown -Stephens. I’m amazed how incompetent and tame these guys and gals are at asking their questions. It feels like 3rd rate sports reporting. Feels like we’re not in a power 5 conference. I take all this back if the press conference is actually longer than what Gopher Sports posted on YouTube and the question was actually asked.

From Randy Johnson’s Strib article

September 06, 2021 - 5:42 PM

P.J. Fleck pondered the question carefully Monday morning, his economy of words speaking volumes.

The Gophers football coach was asked about two plays from Thursday's season opener against Ohio State in which Minnesota offensive players took hits from Buckeyes defenders that appeared to fall under the targeting umbrella but eventually were not called as such.

"I'm all for player safety — opponents, my team — I'm for player safety," Fleck said.

Fleck added that he sent video clips of the two plays as part of a weekly package of officiating questions he forwards to the Big Ten office. He was waiting for a response from the conference.

From Randy Johnson’s Strib article

September 06, 2021 - 5:42 PM

P.J. Fleck pondered the question carefully Monday morning, his economy of words speaking volumes.

The Gophers football coach was asked about two plays from Thursday's season opener against Ohio State in which Minnesota offensive players took hits from Buckeyes defenders that appeared to fall under the targeting umbrella but eventually were not called as such.

"I'm all for player safety — opponents, my team — I'm for player safety," Fleck said.

Fleck added that he sent video clips of the two plays as part of a weekly package of officiating questions he forwards to the Big Ten office. He was waiting for a response from the conference.
Thank you Bamor! I appreciate it. I need to find the video now. Finally someone asked him, KUDOS to that individual!!!! All anyone can surmise is the reason the targeting wasn’t called on the hit against Brown-Stephens is because it was Ohio St, and that’s a HUGE problem with the big ten conference. F¥CK the Big Ten replay booth, it’s complete dogshit.

Top Bottom