Gopher football must have a gag order

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Gopher football must have a gag order on questions to the head coach about officiating calls. From a fan perspective that’s a question a reporter HAS to ask! What did you think about the biggest play of the game coach (duh)? The hit on Brown -Stephens. I’m amazed how incompetent and tame these guys and gals are at asking their questions. It feels like 3rd rate sports reporting. Feels like we’re not in a power 5 conference. I take all this back if the press conference is actually longer than what Gopher Sports posted on YouTube and the question was actually asked.

Good point. Is there a record of anyone in the media asking about this? PJ's post-gamer didn't have it from what I saw.

PJ can’t question officiating without getting fined. Sad. Yet, the officials go on their merry way thinking they’re God. In past years when asked, the B1G office ALWAYS responds “if officials are questioned in a press conference setting, we wouldn’t be able to hire anyone to do the games”. My response B.S.

PJ can’t question officiating without getting fined. Sad. Yet, the officials go on their merry way thinking they’re God. In past years when asked, the B1G office ALWAYS responds “if officials are questioned in a press conference setting, we wouldn’t be able to hire anyone to do the games”. My response B.S.
At the very least the Big Ten should have a rep that speaks for the refs to the press.

B1G office ALWAYS responds “if officials are questioned in a press conference setting, we wouldn’t be able to hire anyone to do the games”. My response B.S.

I've only been a ref for Gus Macker 3:3 tournaments and recreational co-ed city league broomball in Minneapolis, and I understand. I had more balls thrown at my head than I did in my actual career as a TE.

In fact, folks at those levels get it worse because there aren't national TV cameras present.

I didn't like the calls either, but in the era of social media vengeance, doxxing, and maniacs they have to protect the refs to a certain extent.

Can't they submit the call to the NCAA for review or something like that?

And Sid isn't around anymore to complain about the officiating.

if Sid was alive, I guarantee that he would have at least asked about all of the "bad calls" against the Gophers.

PJ would probably give the "I can't comment" answer - but at least Sid would have asked the question.

I've only been a ref for Gus Macker 3:3 tournaments and recreational co-ed city league broomball in Minneapolis, and I understand. I had more balls thrown at my head than I did in my actual career as a TE.

In fact, folks at those levels get it worse because there aren't national TV cameras present.

I didn't like the calls either, but in the era of social media vengeance, doxxing, and maniacs they have to protect the refs to a certain extent.
This is ridiculous. I’ve officiated high school football and HS baseball. A coach commenting on a call is not going to make it any easier to find out who the ref is. The coach can simply say they didn’t agree with it, we’ve asked for an explanation, here is the explanation we got. In fact Fleck has said the latter before. It would actually help relieve angry fans like myself who can’t believe it wasn’t called and get even angrier that it’s never addressed. Something that egregious deserves an explanation/answer/follow up.

Can't they submit the call to the NCAA for review or something like that?
They do that every single week. But it is pointless to bring it up in the press conference because Fleck can’t talk about it anyway.

I can see the refs on the field missing the call or even being hesitant to make the call. Stuff happens and I'm not making excuses for the refs. But as a minimum this should have been a review ordered by the official in the booth. What's really curious about the play mentioned is that offIcials did review the play but only FOR A FUMBLE. Not one mention of target. I think those booth review calls should be recorded and played back later so we can understand the decision process or lack thereof

Not true. Just looking for an explanation and some clarity.
Would be nice to know why there is lack of consistency. Consistency would be nice.

Not true. Just looking for an explanation and some clarity.
Never going to happen. Officials already have a really tough job, if they had to go out and justify all their calls to the public it would be so much worse.

I know people like to assume there are no consequences or evaluations going on behind the scenes but that simply is not the case. Officials are graded on all their calls from the games, they go through constant training and evaluations. They are doing a ridiculously hard job and they 100% make mistakes in every game.

All that said, I do question the lack of targeting on the Ohio State DB. It would not have changed the outcome of our game but it obviously would have had a negative impact on OSU for their week 2 game. I don't know if that factored in at all but it certainly felt sketchy.

Targeting has been a constant source of confusion and discussion since the rule was introduced. And the enforcement of it still seems really uneven. Way too much confusion as to what the call should or should not be in each situation.

Y’all worry too much about this stuff. Fleck blasting the officials isn’t going to get the Gophers more calls in the future.
sooooo......being silent about egregiously bad calls against the team will..... improve the situation?

Everyone has their opinion on this. Mine is i prefer to simply move on from officiating. Officials are human and make mistakes,even in replay. Players and coaches makes mistakes as well. I see officials as doing a damn good job and without bias.

Everyone has their opinion on this. Mine is i prefer to simply move on from officiating. Officials are human and make mistakes,even in replay. Players and coaches makes mistakes as well. I see officials as doing a damn good job and without bias.
Perhaps. There seems to be a huge inconsistency with the targeting rule. I'm assuming that its the guy on the field making the decision. Perhaps it needs to go to someone in headquarters making those calls for some consistency. Making mistakes in replay to me is uncalled for, particularly the blatant ones.

Officials are human and make mistakes,even in replay.
LOL this wasn't a mistake.

They didn't want to lose him for Oregon.

Guy in the box could've very easily said "look, it's targeting ... but they're down 2 TD and don't have enough time left to win this ... do we really want to take this guy out for Oregon? Let it go"

Missed calls and erroneous calls are part of the game (I never complain about those) but that non-targeting call against OSU is something different. Targeting is reviewed over and over. A non-call in that situation whiffs of willful bias. If you profess to be concerned about players getting hit with helmet to helmet contact, how can you not call that? I saw an Oregon State player disqualified against Purdue two nights later for far less of a helmet contact hit.

sooooo......being silent about egregiously bad calls against the team will..... improve the situation?
You have no idea what they do behind the scenes. If it isn’t public apparently it doesn’t happen? Amazing he can recruit without telling everyone he is recruiting. If they send 10 missed calls to the big ten office and he doesn’t mention it in a press conference…they still sent the calls to the powers that be

You have no idea what they do behind the scenes. If it isn’t public apparently it doesn’t happen? Amazing he can recruit without telling everyone he is recruiting. If they send 10 missed calls to the big ten office and he doesn’t mention it in a press conference…they still sent the calls to the powers that be
Gopher football has been on the short side of the stick against all the major Big Ten power programs when it comes to officiating for at least several decades. Gophers and the athletic department have largely remained publicly silent. If you think this tactic is "working" to better this gap, then I wonder what failing looks like to you.

Gopher football has been on the short side of the stick against all the major Big Ten power programs when it comes to officiating for at least several decades. Gophers and the athletic department have largely remained publicly silent. If you think this tactic is "working" to better this gap, then I wonder what failing looks like to you.
Hahahahaha. Prove to me they are on the short end of the stick. You’re a biased fan saying this. There was missed calls both ways against Ohio State. I’m not saying they were great but your statements are without fact.

My older brother officiated D2,3 FB/BB for many years. I do believe that refs do not decide the outcome of most games. However, in this example the OSU player using his helmet does increase the risk of injury and concussions. That was one of the reasons for adding this penalty and even though there will always be a grey area this should have been penalized.

If PJ wanted to say something I would think he would.

I'm guessing they know he has nothing to say.

It is always interesting when I watch games of teams that I don't care about the outcome. That's probably a fairer assessment of how the officials are doing. Sometimes it seems they do a good job and sometimes not. I would say usually the mistakes are just incompetence and not bias. The bias idea definitely creeps in when it's OSU though. Have seen it too many times before.

Of all the sports I watch, college football and basketball seem to have the worst reffing for what it's worth.

I look forward to the day when we completely automate referee jobs. I'm surprised no one has invested in it yet. Would require really sensitive sensors on the ball, field, sidelines, players, etc. Take the bias out of it - let the computers figure it out.

I look forward to the day when we completely automate referee jobs. I'm surprised no one has invested in it yet. Would require really sensitive sensors on the ball, field, sidelines, players, etc. Take the bias out of it - let the computers figure it out.
I dunno...
voting_software_2x.png

Top Bottom