Gopher Football '09 Season!!!!

froggopher

Reaction score
As a new fan that recently joined "the hole" I would like to share a few thoughts on the upcoming season.
This absolutely has to be THE year for Golden gopher football!!
I am expecting an 8 or 9 win season this year with no exceptions! None!!
The gophers have been in need of a huge breakout year for a long,long, time and this year, 2009, must be the time to do it.
Yes the new stadium is fantastic, recruiting has greatly improved, and Tim Brewsters coaching staff has been doing a super job so far.

But all of this great stuff will not do much for another average season/bowl game. Plus, the only way the Gophers will attract top national talent ( especially the fellow from Cretin-Derham Hall) is to have that fantastic first year in the TCF Bank Stadium. I really believe it will happen.

GO Gophers!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This absolutely has to be THE year for Golden gopher football!!

and this year, 2009, must be the time to do it.

Welcome.

As long as 2009 isn't a disaster (4-5 wins or less), 2010 is the year.

I personally of course hope you are right but if I had money on it I'd say 7-5 or 6-6. That being said, your "blue sky" prediction is at least possible. We have watched other Big 10 teams take their turns and have magical seasons for years now. Meanwhile, we have had some teams capable of having breakout years and just the opposite has happened... those well documented collapse/bad bounce situations.

Although it may be unlikely, this team is probably just good enough to give a glimmer of hope for that kind of season. I can't imagine the emotion and 'bad vibe purge' that will take place when the Gophers finally do win the Big 10 again. I realize you aren't predicting that, but I would also love to see your current prediction come true.

Gopher '09 season!!

Thanks for the replies gents. I do realize that injuries play a sometimes big role in a teams win/loss collumn. I am not really sure how good the Gopher's depth is this year, but I think it is better than last year's.(?)

Go Gophers! :D:D:D

2010 is the year.

Maximus,
I'm just curious why you think we will have a better outcome in 2010 than in 2009?
We lose at least 7 senior starters (Decker, Kuznia, Tow-Arnett, Eric Small, Simoni Lawrence, Sherrels and BPT) in 2010. We play USC. Plus we play what I would consider to be an average to difficult conference schedule.
I hope that we can get better every year (including a 2010 improvemewnt over 2009), but I don't get why everyone thinks 2010 will be "the year."

Gopher '09 season!

I certainly agree with the above poster. The 2010 year season is looking a little scary. We are losing many starters and it comes down to the age-old question of depth and talent.
Will it be there for 2010?
I hope so!:cool:

Maximus,
I'm just curious why you think we will have a better outcome in 2010 than in 2009?
We lose at least 7 senior starters (Decker, Kuznia, Tow-Arnett, Eric Small, Simoni Lawrence, Sherrels and BPT) in 2010. We play USC. Plus we play what I would consider to be an average to difficult conference schedule.
I hope that we can get better every year (including a 2010 improvemewnt over 2009), but I don't get why everyone thinks 2010 will be "the year."

Sorry, I was referring to 2010 as the year in terms of Brew's career outlook. I wouldn't say that 2010 is guaranteed to be better than 2009, but:

Weber - four year starter; Gray experienced
All running backs return
Hageman/Lair replace Tow-Arnett
Offensive line back (minus Tavale who's playing time has been cut; Stommes and Ruckdashel - six games played combined last year)
Carpenter, Green, Stoudermire as weapons

Obviously lose some key players on defense....Simoni isn't irreplaceable. Need two corners and two d-tackles.

Brew's 17th rated recruiting class will be juniors/sophomores with this year's class being sophs/redshirts.

Assuming systems/coordinators stay in place....which of course you can't assume.

If this was Mason....break through year three (relatively speaking...just 5-3 in the BT)...fall back year four and five. Brew was hired to break that cycle. We'll see if he can do it.

Gopher season

I am really looking forward to see how much playing time Marquis Gray will put in this year. Maybe Brewster will use him in certain running situations or trick plays.
I heard the guy is a hell of a passer.
Anyone agree with me?

Go Gophers!:confused:

I Agree

This year has to be the year. We are the most experienced team in college football this year according to Steele and we actually have some depth.

In 2010, we are going to be worse. We lose 8 starters on defense and a total of 30 seniors after this year. In 2010 our offense might be the greatest show on turf but our defense could be weak. I even think in 2011, we might not be as good as this year.

I really do think this year might be our best chance for a breakthrough season compared to the next two years.

I wish I had your enthusiasm.......

LAST YEAR could've been "THE YEAR" but we all seen what happened, we were good, much much much improved from the year before and even though we proved we weren't as good as the early part of the season had led us to believe it certainly showed how 1 year can make a difference. I think 8-9 wins this season would just be effin great but I'm looking at more 5-7 and at worst 3 or 4 which I highly doubt.......

gopher football

Thanks again everyone for your very good thoughts and strategy.
I think the coaching changes have certainly been a factor in last years record. The longer coaches stay with the same team all football players have a more comfort zone with the whole picture.
I have to feel sorry for Michigan's Rich Rodriguez. Man, is that guy ever on the hot seat in Ann Arbor. If Michigan has 1 more lousy year, they will be screaming for his head. Literally!!

Go Gophers!!!!:):)

"In 2010, we are going to be worse. We lose 8 starters on defense and a total of 30 seniors after this year. In 2010 our offense might be the greatest show on turf but our defense could be weak."

Agreed 100%, next year's defense scares the crap out of me, especially with how similar the schedule is in difficulty.

In 2010, we are going to be worse. We lose 8 starters on defense and a total of 30 seniors after this year. In 2010 our offense might be the greatest show on turf but our defense could be weak.
Agreed 100%, next year's defense scares the crap out of me, especially with how similar the schedule is in difficulty.

In 2010, we are going to be worse. We lose 8 starters on defense and a total of 30 seniors after this year. In 2010 our offense might be the greatest show on turf but our defense could be weak.

I'll start by saying I agree with the camp that says this is the year, that said, I think it is premature to predict exactly how the defense will look over a year from now. A lot can change, especially as the talent of incoming players has improved.

I'll start by saying I agree with the camp that says this is the year, that said, I think it is premature to predict exactly how the defense will look over a year from now. A lot can change, especially as the talent of incoming players has improved.

Based on Cosgrove's track record lets hope that he doesn't make it worse and that he has little influence on recruiting on the defensive side because he hasn't been a successful recruiter for several years now.

As long as we beat WI and Air Force for the TCF opener i'll be ok with the season

Top Bottom