Gopher Equipment Sale ?

e.bigelow

Reaction score
Just noticed I got a e-mail about Gopher Equipment sale. Just wondering from fellow GHer's who have gone about things they sell and if they have found specific things they are looking for. I.E. jerseys, helmets, ETC. I have never gone and live over two hours away. I would just hate to make the trip without knowing what some previous people have had for an experience with the sale and if it is worth the time. Thanks everyone! :) (Sorry if this has been previously discussed in another thread)

Gopher Fans:

The University of Minnesota Athletics Department is pleased to announce the 2012 Gopher Equipment Sale. The sale will take place on Saturday, May 12 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. in the Sports Pavilion.

Some of the items for the sale will include:

Team jerseys
Shoes
Clothing
Other assorted gear from all the Gopher teams

Please note that there will be a limit of 4 Football jerseys per person.

We hope to see you on May 12th! Go Gophers!

Just noticed I got a e-mail about Gopher Equipment sale. Just wondering from fellow GHer's who have gone about things they sell and if they have found specific things they are looking for. I.E. jerseys, helmets, ETC. I have never gone and live over two hours away. I would just hate to make the trip without knowing what some previous people have had for an experience with the sale and if it is worth the time. Thanks everyone! :) (Sorry if this has been previously discussed in another thread)

I've been there before and many years ago it was decent, but to be honest it's kind of a let down now. In my opinion the selection has been much more limited and the prices higher than before. Granted, this year could be different, but based on last time I'm not planning to go.

Depends what you are looking for. If you are hoping to get memoriablia quality stuff it would not be worth the drive IMO. They do sell football jersey's, but limit them to 4 per customer. There are some collectors who will enlist 3-5 helpers and get there early enough (like wait in line outside the door upto a few hours prior to open) to clear out 20 or so a pop pretty quickly. So if you are looking for that type of item, get there early! Can't remember ever seeing helmets or other similar gear IIRC. They used to sell hockey jerseys and gear bags, but those were not at the last few sessions and I heard they were doing something different with them. If you are just looking for (generally) larger sized workout gear or maybe a non-revenue team jacket type things it can be a pretty good deal. Lots of stuff like logo'd shorts, non-logo'd compression tops etc... I will probably plan to go, but if I wasn't a metro resident, I don't think I'd make the drive personally.

I've wanted to go to one of these sales for years, but never been able to make the trip up. Wondered the same thing, if it was actually worth it. Sounds like it is completely dependant upon what you are looking for.

How many people usually show at these? I imagine stuff get's pretty picked over quickly. Any baseball gear ever make an appearance?

Yeah, a lot of larger-sized logo T-shirts, shorts, etc. Occasionally some other stuff, but that's about it.

I've gotten several nice pairs of sweatpants out of there, as well as a backpack for quite cheap.

I've wanted to go to one of these sales for years, but never been able to make the trip up. Wondered the same thing, if it was actually worth it. Sounds like it is completely dependant upon what you are looking for.

How many people usually show at these? I imagine stuff get's pretty picked over quickly. Any baseball gear ever make an appearance?

It really depends on what sizes you're looking for. If you are a XXL, or larger, then there is some football stuff for you, or if you have an oddly sized head there are great deals on baseball hats. There is a little be of something from every sport which makes it interesting, but the utility of most of the what is there is marginal.

That being said I'll probably try and get there early.

Edit: Someone can correct me but if I remember correctly the one 2 years ago was cash or check only. Nothing's too expensive but if you're going to make the drive you might want to stop at an ATM just to be safe.

Depends what you are looking for. If you are hoping to get memoriablia quality stuff it would not be worth the drive IMO. They do sell football jersey's, but limit them to 4 per customer. There are some collectors who will enlist 3-5 helpers and get there early enough (like wait in line outside the door upto a few hours prior to open) to clear out 20 or so a pop pretty quickly. So if you are looking for that type of item, get there early! Can't remember ever seeing helmets or other similar gear IIRC. They used to sell hockey jerseys and gear bags, but those were not at the last few sessions and I heard they were doing something different with them. If you are just looking for (generally) larger sized workout gear or maybe a non-revenue team jacket type things it can be a pretty good deal. Lots of stuff like logo'd shorts, non-logo'd compression tops etc... I will probably plan to go, but if I wasn't a metro resident, I don't think I'd make the drive personally.

Thanks for the comments! I had never knew that they even did these before and was just curious as to how others experiences have been. Ideally, I would be looking for a football jersey or two, and maybe some random other things that would catch my eye. I guess I will have to be a gametime decision on whether I attend or not. Also sounds like I would have to arrive rather early. As far as quality of Football jerseys, I was mainly looking for one that could possibly be framed and another that I could wear sporadicly to games. But, from the sound of it, getting one of framing quality could be tough. :(

I double checked with U equipment dept. They said no old helmets will be for sale. Damn!

Just got back from the sale. As long as you get there before the doors open, its pretty sweet. The FB jerseys, hockey sticks, and non-cleat shoes went fast. I got a white jersey, maroon jersey, 2 volleyball items for the lady and some gloves for only $90. Not bad considering a jersey alone, if I were to want to sell one, would probably be worth that.

One gold and one white; game-worn jerseys. Total $75. Well worth it.

Couple pairs of basketball shorts, some nice Nike dri-fit polos, and flip-flops for $45 total.

Tons of basketball stuff there this year, didn't see any wrestling or baseball. I've bought a couple pairs of wrestling sweatpants at the last sales.

Ugh.. I'm jealous. If I were better prepared I would have gone.

Got there 30 minutes before it opened and there were maybe 75 people in front of my group already. That said, my wife and I got a haul:

- 5x Nike dry fit t-shirts for working out, 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair sweatpants, 1 mens track jacket and 1 for the wife, couple pair of dry fit socks, and maybe something else for $79 total. Workout and cold-gear for the next 2 years. Almost everything we got was brand new.

Seems like of all the items there the best "deals" were the hockey sticks - $200+ sticks going for $50 new, $25 slightly (if at all) used with tape on the blade and handle. Can't even get an all-wood crummy stick for under $30 anymore in the stores. Too bad people were taking them 6-7 at a time...

Does anyone know if other schools do something like this? I feel like it's a great way to reach out to some of your hardest-core fans and reward them with super amazing deals.

Couple pairs of basketball shorts, some nice Nike dri-fit polos, and flip-flops for $45 total.

Tons of basketball stuff there this year, didn't see any wrestling or baseball. I've bought a couple pairs of wrestling sweatpants at the last sales.

Hey GopherRock, did you get Gopher game shorts or practice shorts? I've been looking for a pair of Gopher game shorts for awhile without luck. One potential reason why there might have been a lot of Gopher basketball stuff at the sale is that the team is supposed to get new uniforms next season.

Hey GopherRock, did you get Gopher game shorts or practice shorts? I've been looking for a pair of Gopher game shorts for awhile without luck. One potential reason why there might have been a lot of Gopher basketball stuff at the sale is that the team is supposed to get new uniforms next season.

They had both practice and game shorts for sale. Practice for $5 a pair, and game for $10 a pair....

I am really dissapointed I missed this, but the weather was way too nice in West Central Minnesota. Hopefully I can make it next year! :(

I am really dissapointed I missed this, but the weather was way too nice in West Central Minnesota. Hopefully I can make it next year! :(

Gonna have to wait until 2014. Its a biannual thing....

Yeah, I got one pair of each shorts. Couple that with the uniform shorts I got a couple years ago and I've got all the workout/loafing around gear I need for some time.

Top Bottom