Gopher Donors

wels0081

Reaction score
Someone was posting Brewster's job is safe until the big donors get disgruntled and I got to thinking, I'm not sure who those guys are...

I mean, T Denny is obviously a big donor and could've been an even bigger piece of the stadium... McNamara is another I can think of.

Aside from those two--- who are the big, current donors that may have clout in the eyes of Maturi and the Regents of the University system?

Someone was posting Brewster's job is safe until the big donors get disgruntled and I got to thinking, I'm not sure who those guys are...

I mean, T Denny is obviously a big donor and could've been an even bigger piece of the stadium... McNamara is another I can think of.

Aside from those two--- who are the big, current donors that may have clout in the eyes of Maturi and the Regents of the University system?

I don't think T Denny isn't a true donor in the sense of consistent money to the FB program. His was a 1 time thing for the stadium and they had to work hard to get it (he was pissy at the U for a long time b/c they wouldn't let him set the terms for his original 35 million dollar donation to the stadium way back when). While I'm sure he could have a say, I doubt he has the established relationship with the AD that makes his voice influential, ya know?

McNamara would be the kind of person you'd be looking for. I think the folks who ponied up the extra $500,000 for the brick around the field level wall (names fail me) would be another example. On the whole I'm sure the high level donors to the stadium would all count, but I'm guessing there are some exceptions like T Denny to be found.

I've thought about that a little, too. I don't know this for sure, but I have always thought that one of our big problems is that we don't have enough big donors -- or big enough donors -- who care enough about Gopher sports to demand improvement in the major programs.

Forgoing why you want to know in the first place, here's an idea:

Next time you go down to TCF Stadium go to main entrance. Then look to the left (North) and see the plaque with the list of donors. Focus on the left side where all the big money names are. I would guess that those names are many of the ones you're looking for.

I live in Knoxville, TN--- home to the U of Tennessee.

Everybody here knows who the big-time athletic donors are. They put their names on academic buildings, weight rooms, and athletic housing.

I'm not a Volunteers fan, I'm a Minnesota fan, a graduate of the U of MN, and a (small) donor to the University but I have no idea who our donors are.

That's why I ask. I just think it's a key piece of the success of the university and athletic departments and all I see are corporations, not necessarily alums or community members.

Top Bottom