Gopher Defense....

jaymil

Reaction score
Is now 1st in the big ten allowing 5.5 yards per pass attempt.
1st in the big ten in interceptions with 8 (2 more than the 2nd place team).
1st in the big ten in opponent QB rating.

4th in the big ten in total yards per play allowed.
Allowing 3.6 yards per carry, good for 7th in the conference.

I had pretty high hopes for the secondary but it's the front 7 that has been better than I expected. Assuming we stay relatively healthy, the D should only get better as our young defensive linemen continue to develop. Richardson has been good from day 1 but Elmore has made a huge jump in just 4 weeks.

Those young DL are getting some great reps. We'll need them fully seasoned for the IA, UNL and WI games. Richardson created havoc all game and Elmore is really progressing and making plays

Who would have thought we'd be playing 4 true freshman on the D-line, and none at WR?

How about Stelter and Moore? I didn't catch their numbers yesterday, but I assume they both got PT.

Is now 1st in the big ten allowing 5.5 yards per pass attempt.
1st in the big ten in interceptions with 8 (2 more than the 2nd place team).
1st in the big ten in opponent QB rating.

4th in the big ten in total yards per play allowed.
Allowing 3.6 yards per carry, good for 7th in the conference.

I had pretty high hopes for the secondary but it's the front 7 that has been better than I expected. Assuming we stay relatively healthy, the D should only get better as our young defensive linemen continue to develop. Richardson has been good from day 1 but Elmore has made a huge jump in just 4 weeks.

Second in the country in TO's gained. Of course many teams have only played 4 games so far.

Claeys has established a solid defense that is fun to watch. He just throws his D-lineman at the opposition and he can do that the way the back seven is playing. When I was watching Richardson the other day, I couldn't help but think of great shorter DLs like Rich Glover (Nebraska early-1970s) and Russell Maryland (Miami-FL early-1990s). Kid just creates mayhem out there.

It would have been interesting had Gardner played earlier (or started). What hurt the Gophers last year is that Gardner would break contain and cause all sorts of problems for the back seven. I think the improved play in the back seven would have prevented that this season. CBs and Ss are just playing super football right now. As I've said in other posts, I think the biggest thing Kill and company have done is improve the team's depth and match guys to specific assignments. I think Claeys is especially effective at this.

Bottom line, this is the best defense I've seen at Minnesota in a long, long time.

Is this defense better than '99? If so, can we say this is best defense in 30+ years? My memory seems to recall the '99 D being a touch more dominant, but this one is shaping up pretty well. I'm not sure how the stats line up, but I don't care much about most stats anyway...

Too bad we lost two starters off that defensive line...could have been epic.

Les, Philly is no Debbie compared to afurry.

Les, Philly is no Debbie compared to afurry.

I'm a debbie for saying Cobb won't win the Heisman and that Wells gets hurt a lot?

1. Cobb won't win the Heisman. He might be an All-American.

2. Wells has been hurt 2 years ago, last year, and now this year. Sorry for calling it like it is.

OK! fine. And you are always a downer. Sorry for calling it like it is.

I'm a debbie for saying Cobb won't win the Heisman and that Wells gets hurt a lot?

1. Cobb won't win the Heisman. He might be an All-American.

2. Wells has been hurt 2 years ago, last year, and now this year. Sorry for calling it like it is.

More like these 2 things on top of just about every other post you make.

More like these 2 things on top of just about every other post you make.

You sure do like being an asshole don't you? First me, then cncmin, then back to me again.

Take your kool aid and shove it up your ass.

Mods, feel free to delete this one. It was worth it anyways.

You sure do like being an asshole don't you? First me, then cncmin, then back to me again.

Fuzzy, you have been abominable. STFU!!!

Mods, feel free to delete this one. It was worth it anyways.

Someone seems a bit angry

P.S. Of my last 90 posts. 8 can be categorized as "debbie downer" material.

So if that percentage bothers you, feel free to ignore me.

Top Bottom