Gopher Coaching Numbers vs. NCAA Qualifiers Since 2000

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I've been updating these numbers yearly on GopherHole.

COVID19 threw us a curveball this past season, so I had to make a decision on the fly. Because all of these stats center around NCAA qualifying opponents, do I simply ignore all games played last season and exclude them from the totals, or do I deem as "NCAA qualifiers" the 68 teams I put into my final "Field of 68" projection? (for conferences that did not complete their tournament, the automatic qualifier is defined as the top seed or highest remaining seed in the tournament)

I have chosen the latter.

For the record, these are the opponents the Gophers played in 2019-20 that I'm deeming NCAA qualifiers: Butler, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Rutgers, and Wisconsin. The Gophers were 5-13 vs. those teams.

A reminder, these totals begin with the 1999-2000 season.

Gophers Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 82-193 (29.8%)
1 Tubby Smith: 29-53 (35.4%)
2 Richard Pitino: 31-68 (31.3%)
3 Dan Monson: 21-63 (25%)
4 Jim Molinari: 1-9 (10%)

Gophers Home Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 54-65 (45.4%)
1 Dan Monson: 21-19 (52.5%)
2 Tubby Smith: 16-20 (44.4%)
3 Richard Pitino: 16-23 (41%)
4 Jim Molinari: 1-3 (25%)

Gophers Road Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 12-96 (11.1%)
1 Richard Pitino: 8-33 (19.5%)
2 Tubby Smith: 4-24 (14.3%)
3 Jim Molinari: 0-6 (0%)
4 Dan Monson: 0-33 (0%)

Gophers Neutral-Site Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 16-32 (33.3%)
1 Tubby Smith: 9-9 (50%)
2 Richard Pitino: 7-12 (36.8%)
3 Jim Molinari: 0-0 (--)
4 Dan Monson: 0-11 (0%)

Gophers Combined Road/Neutral-Site Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 28-128 (17.9%)
1 Tubby Smith: 13-33 (28.3%)
2 Richard Pitino: 15-45 (25%)
3 Jim Molinari: 0-6 (0%)
4 Dan Monson: 0-44 (0%)

Gophers NCAA Tournament Appearances: 6
1 Tubby Smith: 3 (2009, 2010, 2013)
2 Richard Pitino: 2 (2017, 2019)
3 Dan Monson: 1 (2005)
4 Jim Molinari: 0

Gophers NCAA Tournament Record: 2-6 (25%)
1 Richard Pitino: 1-2 (33.3%)
2 Tubby Smith: 1-3 (25%)
3 Dan Monson: 0-1 (0%)
4 Jim Molinari: 0-0 (--)

Last edited:

The Home-Road splits are interesting, especially for Monson's teams. 0-44 in road and neutral sites, but 21-19 at home. You would think they would have had to beat at least one decent team on the road - but it didn't happen.

The Home-Road splits are interesting, especially for Monson's teams. 0-44 in road and neutral sites, but 21-19 at home. You would think they would have had to beat at least one decent team on the road - but it didn't happen.
That is interesting. It used to be my biggest frustration with the Gopher program as a whole was its inability to win on the road, against anyone, really. Now I've kind of switched to being primarily frustrated with our inability to beat good teams (read: NCAA qualifiers) at home.

As woeful as his teams were away from Williams Arena, Monson held his own at home. The Gopher program is good enough and most seasons has had good enough players to be above .500 in those types of games. Really want to see this program start protecting its homecourt better.

st seasons has had good enough players to be above .500 in those types of games. Really want to see this program start protecting its ho
That is interesting. It used to be my biggest frustration with the Gopher program as a whole was its inability to win on the road, against anyone, really. Now I've kind of switched to being primarily frustrated with our inability to beat good teams (read: NCAA qualifiers) at home.

As woeful as his teams were away from Williams Arena, Monson held his own at home. The Gopher program is good enough and most seasons has had good enough players to be above .500 in those types of games. Really want to see this program start protecting its homecourt better.

The question is, how much of the home court troubles are due to the team versus due to a weak, relatively non-participatory fanbase? Impossible to sort these two things out but I suspect we'd have done better at home in an IU-type atmosphere.

The question is, how much of the home court troubles are due to the team versus due to a weak, relatively non-participatory fanbase? Impossible to sort these two things out but I suspect we'd have done better at home in an IU-type atmosphere.

that atmosphere is a result of not winning games. Make the NCAA tourney 4 times a row. I bet the crowd improves.

that atmosphere is a result of not winning games. Make the NCAA tourney 4 times a row. I bet the crowd improves.
Also they are correlated.
If you win more at home, more people go to games, probably leading to higher likelihood of having more wins at home.

Top Bottom