Gopher Basketball better off playing in the NIT this year!!!!....................

I think it could better be stated thusly:

If you had to choose, would you rather see the Gophers:
1. Lose in the 1st round of the NCAA? or
2. win 4 or 5 games in the NIT?

I understand the NCAA has the prestige factor -but from my perspective, I like seeing the Gophers win games. So, I would rather see them go on an NIT run as opposed to going 1-and-done in the NCAA.

Now, if you can guarantee me a 1st-round NCAA victory, then I take the NCAA over the NIT any day.

As a fan a 4 or 5 game run in the NIT would be more enjoyable than a 1 and done in the NCAA, but this is an experienced team made up of upper classman, a run in the NIT would do nothing for them.

As a fan a 4 or 5 game run in the NIT would be more enjoyable than a 1 and done in the NCAA, but this is an experienced team made up of upper classman, a run in the NIT would do nothing for them.

If fans in general thought that the NIT was more enjoyable, the Barn wouldn't be so empty for NIT games. There seems to be considerably less interest in an NIT game than in an exhibition game.

I get frustrated with these type of threads. Play big man. Never settle that an NIT run would be better than an NCAA bid. Never ever.

NCAA Bid > NIT Title.

Austin Hollins deserves to go out firing in the big dance.

People who favor the NIT favor participation medals and trophies for the winner of the toilet bowl in youth tournaments

People who favor the NIT favor participation medals and trophies for the winner of the toilet bowl in youth tournaments

Also the ones who would rather use the term "friendship bracket" instead of "loser's bracket" in a youth tournament.

Is that really a term being used or suggested?

I've seen it used on a couple occasions at youth baseball tournaments. I about lost my lunch in laughter. Heaven forbid we have to tell our kids they're in the loser's bracket instead of the winner's bracket. They might be stunted for life.

I've seen it used on a couple occasions at youth baseball tournaments. I about lost my lunch in laughter. Heaven forbid we have to tell our kids they're in the loser's bracket instead of the winner's bracket. They might be stunted for life.

Some of these youth league parents need a good 2X4 swat across the back of the head.

Also the ones who would rather use the term "friendship bracket" instead of "loser's bracket" in a youth tournament.

I always thought the Friendship Bracket was for the teams that went 0-2 in a double elimination tournament that guaranteed 3 games.

They had already lost in the losers' bracket.

I would put it like this:

NCAA - Winners' Bracket - the best teams

NIT - Losers' Bracket - still play good teams

CBI - Friendship Bracket - yuck

If you want to call a half season of great play before the wheels come off and a tourney win over an uninterested group of underachievers momentum, to each his own I guess.

That uninterested group of underachievers won the Pac-12 outright. We beat them by 20.

Welcome to Gopherhole, where we reminisce about our vacated Final Four and scoff at the legitimate success we have.

That uninterested group of underachievers won the Pac-12 outright. We beat them by 20.

Welcome to Gopherhole, where we reminisce about our vacated Final Four and scoff at the legitimate success we have.

Winning in the NIT is not legitimate success. Also the guys we are recruiting weren't even alive when we went to the Final Four

Well i would consider winning a 5 round, 32 team tourney of all above average teams to be the opposite of just worthy participation medal. Wouldn't getting a one and done in the NCAA tourney be more of a participation medal accomplishment? There is only one place that matters in that tourney anyways, but as they say on here to each his own i guess.

Winning in the NIT is not legitimate success. Also the guys we are recruiting weren't even alive when we went to the Final Four

I was referring to our NCAA tournament win last year. And I meant legitimate success as in we didn't cheat. And I never mentioned anything about our Final Four with regards to what recruits think of it.

I always thought the Friendship Bracket was for the teams that went 0-2 in a double elimination tournament that guaranteed 3 games.

If they have those bracket's it would be purely because all the teams paid the same fee to enter the tournament and therefore those running the tournament want to give all teams the same number of games due to the equal entry fee for all teams.

This "alternate tournament" mentality is hilarious.

We need a tournament that invites the 64 college bb teams with the worst records.

If ya win a game, you are out. You go home happy with a win.
If ya lose a game, you move on.
etc, etc, etc, until....
the final game is between the worst two teams.
The winner goes home happy,
The loser wins the championship trophy.
Everyone goes home happy.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

This "alternate tournament" mentality is hilarious.

We need a tournament that invites the 64 college bb teams with the worst records.

If ya win a game, you are out. You go home happy with a win.
If ya lose a game, you move on.
etc, etc, etc, until....
the final game is between the worst two teams.
The winner goes home happy,
The loser wins the championship trophy.
Everyone goes home happy.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

You should probably quit using the L word Doc. It might ruin someone's life.

As my father always used to say (in a very high pitched voice) when I was a kid playing traveling basketball, "Everybody is in a winner in the friendship game!"

Well i would consider winning a 5 round, 32 team tourney of all above average teams to be the opposite of just worthy participation medal. Wouldn't getting a one and done in the NCAA tourney be more of a participation medal accomplishment? There is only one place that matters in that tourney anyways, but as they say on here to each his own i guess.

The team that loses in the first round of the NCAA was more successful than the NIT champ. End of story. There's a reason Badger fans were chanting NIT at us in the barn back in 02

I'm not sure winning the PAC-12 last year is really something to tout. The MWC was probably a better basketball conference out west. Arizona and UCLA were the top seeded team as 6 seeds. UCLA's athletic department thought so highly of their coaches success that they fired him immediately after the loss to the Gophers. Please, if you are going to argue that win was a great achievement, do better than that.

What does that make the CIT?:D

What does that make the CIT?:D

A consolation tournament exclusively for mid-majors. I've never seen a power conference team in the CIT. I don't think they get invited. I think the original stated purpose of that tournament was to give lower conference schools who were ignored by the NCAA and NIT a chance at postseason.

I'm not sure winning the PAC-12 last year is really something to tout. The MWC was probably a better basketball conference out west. Arizona and UCLA were the top seeded team as 6 seeds. UCLA's athletic department thought so highly of their coaches success that they fired him immediately after the loss to the Gophers. Please, if you are going to argue that win was a great achievement, do better than that.

While it might not be something to "tout".......it was a victory against the winner of a power conference. We did it in fairly dominant fashion too.

Oh....and keep in mind....while UCLA fired their coach after the loss to the Gophers, we fired Smith as well.

I would prefer to see the Gophers in the NCAA tournament.

However, I will be cheering hard for them no matter where they end up.

While it might not be something to "tout".......it was a victory against the winner of a power conference. We did it in fairly dominant fashion too.

Oh....and keep in mind....while UCLA fired their coach after the loss to the Gophers, we fired Smith as well.

I'm unsure if you're with me, against me, or just stating obvious facts with your post. :confused:

Top Bottom