Good to see Gray in there today

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Though he was .333 passing, he had the knack of providing some momentum to the offense and he's an obvious running threat. Weber hit two thirds of his passes, much better than usual, but couldn't sustain drives. I'm convinced that if Gray had been put in against Illinois last year and started every game since, he'd now be better than Weber at QB and the Gophers would have won some games this year and more last year, including the bowl game. But he had to be brought along and developed at the position- and wasn't.

whats got you convinced watching gray play WR?

I am a firm believer that there is a major reason we have not seen more of gray at QB. we see these guys for 4 hours a few weeks a year the coaching staff watches them 365 days a year.

ace

whats got you convinced watching gray play WR?

I am a firm believer that there is a major reason we have not seen more of gray at QB. we see these guys for 4 hours a few weeks a year the coaching staff watches them 365 days a year.

Normally I would agree with you but, at this point I have little or no confidence in this coaching staff.

Normally I would agree with you but, at this point I have little or no confidence in this coaching staff.

Bingo. What has this coaching staff done to convince you they have any clue evaluating players, talent, etc. Weber is awful. Although Gray was not perfect, he does show running ability and throws a better ball. For crying out loud, Weber still throws ducks. Plus, Gray had a nice pass to Lair that Lair dropped. Lair holds onto that ball we are in striking distance. Although since the gophers would have started gaining momentum I am sure Horton would have put Weber in there to kill the momentum.

That was a great run he had on third down and his throw to Lair was beautiful.

He doesn't start at QB because he's not very good. You honestly think the staff could not recognize his ability? Please.

Gray threw one into the ground, one about eight feet over the receivers head...

I didn't see anything special about his throwing. He did have a couple of nice runs.

His highlight of the day was his td catch, I thought. Somebody complained that a te dropped a really nice pass from Gray. Well, welcome to the wild and wacky world of Gopher receivers! I've seen all of the Gopher receivers drop some really nice pass this year.

He didn't lead the Gophers to any points while he was qb-ing though. IF you are going to to trash Weber for his qb-ing, we will also have to trash Gray when he did the same things Weber gets trashed for by you Weberbasher types.

Gray will need pretty much the same things that Weber would need to win a lot of games: a really good offensive line, a really good running game, some really good running backs, some really good wide receivers and a really good defense to go alown with all of the offensive fire power. He would also need a really good kicking game and really good special teams play in order for him to look really good. Really good football teams make qb's look really good! ; 0 )

He didn't lead the Gophers to any points while he was qb-ing though. IF you are going to to trash Weber for his qb-ing, we will also have to trash Gray when he did the same things Weber gets trashed for by you Weberbasher types.

I'll trash Gray if he's still consistently missing throws as a 5th year senior, okay, Wren?

Let's at least be consistent when evaluating QB's please. Gray did not throw the ball particularly well today. He airmailed a receiver down the right sideline by several yards and put another throw at his receiver's feet (on third down?). If you're going to rip Weber for his mistakes then be consistent with Gray.

Let's also realize that we ran something new (or rather old) with Gray today that I haven't seen so far this season and that is the Zone Read out of the shot gun. So he had a big advantage in that MSU hadn't seen either Gray or the Zone Read from us previously this year.

So Gopher Gack, in order to be fair to Weber vs Gray, we will need to let Gray start every game for the next 3+ years to evaluate whether or not he can be better than Weber. Weber misses guys after 40+ games started. I am not sure if Gray has even had 40 plays, and definately not pass plays, to be evaluated on.

Give me an f-ing break. It is unfair to compare Weber and Gray straight up. Going into today's game, Weber took all but like 3 snaps this year and he still is completely worthless and the worst qb in the B10. Gray comes in midway through the game and takes three snaps in a row and you expect him to play like he has been starting all season. Anyone who makes that comparison is a complete idiot. You can not expect Gray to come in over half way through the season and half way through the game and just start playing qb and completing passes and running the offense as though he has been starting since the beginning of the season. Give me an effing break. I would be willing to bet that if Gray played a whole game or if he would have played this whole season, our team would LOOK a hell of a lot better.

I don't understand someone can be critical of Gray when he is getting 10% of the QB snaps in practice but yet think Weber is a good QB.

Sure Gray had some bad throws. HE HAS BEEN A WIDE RECEIVER ALL YEAR. The "QB" has been making worse throws all year.

i wonder what Gray's status is, he is one guy that could transfer, sit out a year, and still have two years of eligibility left. I hope he didn't request exposure at QB so he could sell himself.

If Lair catches the ball that hit him in the hands. Gray is 3/6 for 40+ yards through the air. You can't take anything from the sample size, but you ESPECIALLY can't take anything negative.

As I have been saying all year this and last, I dont know enough about Gray other than he has loads of potential. I do know that Weber is mediocre on a good day, and that he has had about 6 good days in 4 years as a starter.

I'll trash Gray if he's still consistently missing throws as a 5th year senior, okay, Wren?

I'm so sick of the weber/gray pissing match! weber has been put into a no win situation and his development was hurt more than any other player under the brewster watch. the coaching change and offensive change destroyed anything weber could have become!

as for gray, his fanbase believes he is the better version of vince young! none of us have seen him play qb for an entire game! and from what we have seen he isn't a dominating presence behind center!

gray appears to have a real future at wr! frame and speed appear to be on point and he has very good hands! I hope he gets a fair shot next year to start if he is better than alipate or whoever else is in the qb mix!

I think it will be a 2 man battle for the starting qb next year! and if gray is not the best canidate, how many of you over the top gray fans are going to bitch about how the new coaching staff are all morons because its obvious to gophernation from the 30 hours we see the team play that gray must be the best player?

I started to ramble a bit, my bad! but still I'm sick of everyone telling us how great gray is when none of us have a clue!

Key to keeping the game close(r)

was when we had 3rd and 1 to go when the 2nd period started and we put Weber back in. Gray would have run for the 1st down but instead we stack everybody together telegraphing the defense that we are going up the middle and get stuffed. It happened again in the next half too!

I don't think there is a single person that watches the Gophs that wont agree that Gray is the best athlete on the team...why do we not want the ball in his hands on every play?

Simple truth is...at receiver he touches the ball 5-8 times per game...at QB he touches it 70 times per game...I like the idea of our best player and athlete getting that many touches...

I love this quote

It was from Marcus Fuller's report on Gray playing.

Junior Troy Stoudermire, a receiver turned cornerback, said he didn't know Gray was going to play quarterback.

"When I saw MarQueis at quarterback, I was looking like, 'Wait a minute, is that MarQueis?' " Stoudermire said. "He did pretty good, too. Hey, if he's doing good, why not just keep him in there?

This is the tip of the problem. The players realize MarQueis can do it, give him a few reps, but the coaches have not given him the time of day. Discounted his ablity and readiness with the same old Weber gives us the best chance to win. I think everytime the offense hears that the snicker, or cringe. They know Weber has been given EVERY opportunity to show what he can do. There are only two games left coach, don't blow it. Weber has a chance to lose 34. You wouldn't want to deprive him an oppportunity like that this late in his career. 15-34, he can do it.

I don't think there is a single person that watches the Gophs that wont agree that Gray is the best athlete on the team...why do we not want the ball in his hands on every play?

Simple truth is...at receiver he touches the ball 5-8 times per game...at QB he touches it 70 times per game...I like the idea of our best player and athlete getting that many touches...

then he should be the running back! if all he can do is run I want nothing to do with him at qb! tough for gray to play qb if he can't pass.

I also want to know what gray has done to be considered a better athlete than mcknight, or anyone else for that matter

I haven't read a lot of people saying how great Gray is at QB. A lot of people are saying he needs to get some reps in so he can develop as a QB. Giving a 5th year senior QB every single snap in a 42-point loss is idiotic, and there is absolutely no rational way to defend it.

I know of one player's facebook picture is Marquis with Dollar bills around him.It may just be an inside joke or something though

It was from Marcus Fuller's report on Gray playing.

This is the tip of the problem. The players realize MarQueis can do it, give him a few reps, but the coaches have not given him the time of day. Discounted his ablity and readiness with the same old Weber gives us the best chance to win. I think everytime the offense hears that the snicker, or cringe. They know Weber has been given EVERY opportunity to show what he can do. There are only two games left coach, don't blow it. Weber has a chance to lose 34. You wouldn't want to deprive him an oppportunity like that this late in his career. 15-34, he can do it.

What does Troy know? Our coaching staff is filled with geniuses so we should all just defer to their decisions. Look how well it has worked out so far this season...oh wait, they are all getting fired at the end of the season. I wonder why?

I'm so sick of the weber/gray pissing match! weber has been put into a no win situation and his development was hurt more than any other player under the brewster watch. the coaching change and offensive change destroyed anything weber could have become!

as for gray, his fanbase believes he is the better version of vince young! none of us have seen him play qb for an entire game! and from what we have seen he isn't a dominating presence behind center!

gray appears to have a real future at wr! frame and speed appear to be on point and he has very good hands! I hope he gets a fair shot next year to start if he is better than alipate or whoever else is in the qb mix!

I think it will be a 2 man battle for the starting qb next year! and if gray is not the best canidate, how many of you over the top gray fans are going to bitch about how the new coaching staff are all morons because its obvious to gophernation from the 30 hours we see the team play that gray must be the best player?

I started to ramble a bit, my bad! but still I'm sick of everyone telling us how great gray is when none of us have a clue!

How the deuce am I telling anyone how great Gray is?

I'm responding to Wren's comment that we should hold them to the same standard by stating that when they've received comparable development and playing time, I will hold them to the same standard. Additionally, I'm pointing out the absurdity saying Gray should be totally polished at the position when A) he's getting 10% of the reps in practice and b) he had exactly one snap at QB all season.

I don't know if Gray is going to be the QB everyone wants him to be. But we'll never find out unless he's given some time to develop. Parking his ass on the bench when we're down by 28+ late in the game and forgoing giving him an opportunity to learn in live-fire situations is moronic. I'll concede that Weber should be allowed to start the games because him throwing to Gray gives us the best possible chance to win. When the inevitable happens and we're down by 400, let's give Gray/Alipate a chance to play. I could be wrong here, but it's my belief no other team in the country would be playing Weber as late into games as we have.

Gray

You guys really watched the game today???? And you can't tell that Gray right now, without experience, is a better quarterback than Weber? The ball he threw in the ground, the receiver was covered. The ball he overthrew down the sideline was again away from the defenders.

He makes plays. We had the ball for 15 plays in the second half when he was quarterback. Ya, the refs messed it up some and we messed it up some with penalties we earned. He wasn't 3 and out.

He didn't sack himself. He is a threat on every play. I'm very confident the opponent would much prefer Weber to be the quarterback.

I have not heard Watson say he doesn't have any receivers. More silliness.

The biggest problem I see coming out of this is we'll all need new TV sets if they go back to playing Weber the whole game for the rest of the games. My wife takes away all sharp objects and anything that could crack the big screen 15 minutes before kickoff. I liked what I saw out of Gray today, sure its rough, but no rougher than watching Weber launch 15 yard outs into the turf or overthrowing wide open receivers by 10 yards. I agree with the majority of the posters, it wasn't a Heisman level performance, but at least we are getting a hint of what he can do. I for one can't wait for spring ball.

He doesn't start at QB because he's not very good. You honestly think the staff could not recognize his ability? Please.

I doubt the current staff could recognize if their fly was down and their junk was dangling out.

So Gopher Gack, in order to be fair to Weber vs Gray, we will need to let Gray start every game for the next 3+ years to evaluate whether or not he can be better than Weber. Weber misses guys after 40+ games started. I am not sure if Gray has even had 40 plays, and definately not pass plays, to be evaluated on.

This is a terrible argument. By the same logic we should clearly be starting Tom Parish! I mean think about how good he COULD be with 4 years of starting time. Oh and we can't evaluate him because he hasn't had 4 years of starting experience.

I am making no statement as to whether Gray or Weber will be a better QB when it's all said and done. I am however of the belief that they should be evaluated on the same points. Since most people on this board rip Weber for his "inaccuracy" then you sure better evaluate Gray the same way.

Excellent point Husker, the players were excited that Gray was going in. They actually did move the ball but 3 penalties hurt. Lair did drop a pass, but one of the incompletes was a throw away!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT A SACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe he already knows more than Weber????///

Top Bottom