Good shots...small ask of the next coach.

GrayShouldPlayReceiver

Reaction score
I love watching good teams play and I analyze their shot selections. Even when a good team happens to be losing I like to watch their shot selection. Then I think about the gophers...damn we take horrible, undisciplined shots. I know I’m preaching to the choir here. I’d totally accept losing if we played smart, high effort basketball. Is that too much to ask?

I love watching good teams play and I analyze their shot selections. Even when a good team happens to be losing I like to watch their shot selection. Then I think about the gophers...damn we take horrible, undisciplined shots. I know I’m preaching to the choir here. I’d totally accept losing if we played smart, high effort basketball. Is that too much to ask?
Why would anyone accept losing?

I'm not sure if I agree--I don't think shot selection, at the end of the day, is a major issue for this year's team. We pretty much take (in descending order of frequency):
  1. Carr lay-ups
  2. Forward post-up shots
  3. Open 3-pointers
  4. Other guard lay-ups
  5. Contested, late in the clock 3-pointers
  6. Offensive rebound put-backs
  7. Mashburn, Curry or Williams mid-range pull-ups
5 and 7 are obviously bad. Some of Carr's drives are ill-advised. But overall, I think the much, much bigger problem is flat out missing open 3-pointers. I don't have a huge problem with the shots they are taking, they just can't hit them. And since opponents know they can't hit them, they're giving up more open shots to defend the lane.

I'm not sure if I agree--I don't think shot selection, at the end of the day, is a major issue for this year's team. We pretty much take (in descending order of frequency):
  1. Carr lay-ups
  2. Forward post-up shots
  3. Open 3-pointers
  4. Other guard lay-ups
5 and 7 are obviously bad. Some of Carr's drives are ill-advised. But overall, I think the much, much bigger problem is flat out missing open 3-pointers. I don't have a huge problem with the shots they are taking, they just can't hit them. And since opponents know they can't hit them, they're giving up more open shots to defend the lane.
Open 3 pointers are not good shots if the player has no chance of making them.

Open 3 pointers are not good shots if the player has no chance of making them.
Anybody taking threes for the Gophers has made 10 in a row at some point practicing. It's not as simple as no chance of making them.

Why would anyone accept losing?
I have been trained to focus on the process rather than the result. Sometimes you can play just about a perfect game and you lose. It’s a part of sports. What I can’t accept is teams that play dumb basketball and only get hung up in the results. This type of thinking does not lead to consistent play.

I have been trained to focus on the process rather than the result. Sometimes you can play just about a perfect game and you lose. It’s a part of sports. What I can’t accept is teams that play dumb basketball and only get hung up in the results. This type of thinking does not lead to consistent play.

sure. Play the right way and win more games. But if you play the right way and go 4-22 every season...then you suck and your team sucks and you’ll be fired. Consistently sucking isn’t good. Your thoughts are right but not caring about winning is ridiculous

Team 1: 47% FG ... 30% 3-Pt ... 64% FT

Team 2: 41% FG ... 50% 3-Pt ... 73% FT

Team 1 wins by 9 while Team 2 looses by 31.

Shot selection is important, but only a part of what can get a win ...Maryland is Team 1 with today’s win at Rutgers where they held Rutgers to 59. We all know Team 2.

Team 1: 47% FG ... 30% 3-Pt ... 64% FT

Team 2: 41% FG ... 50% 3-Pt ... 73% FT

Team 1 wins by 9 while Team 2 looses by 31.

Shot selection is important, but only a part of what can get a win ...Maryland is Team 1 with today’s win at Rutgers where they held Rutgers to 59. We all know Team 2.
Team 2 gave up a thousand points. They do not play the right way.

sure. Play the right way and win more games. But if you play the right way and go 4-22 every season...then you suck and your team sucks and you’ll be fired. Consistently sucking isn’t good. Your thoughts are right but not caring about winning is ridiculous
Who says I don’t care about winning?

1. Carr lay-ups
  2. Forward post-up shots
  3. Open 3-pointers
  4. Other guard lay-ups
The open three pointers that we are taking are bad shots. Yes they are open but they are the shots that the opponent wants us to take. We are not getting good shots and there’s is no offensive scheme in place to take advantage of our strengths. This offense is painful to watch. Very little ball movement and just hero shot after hero shot. Every possession is such a struggle to produce any sort of good look. I strongly disagree with this take but to each his own.

I just want a coach who wins and plays competitively on the road.

Team 2 gave up a thousand points. They do not play the right way.

Does Iowa play the right way? The difference is they have great shooters of course.
Richard has never had a team identity, and you can't win consistently without one.

This is where messaging fails to communicate tone. You clearly don’t me know me at all.

You're right. We've never met or anything. I think thats obvious.

I'll take your word for it, I just don't ever find losing acceptable. If you play great and lose, you still lost. Thats all I'm saying :)

How about having an offensive identity outside of dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, drive and shoot or kick? How about actually playing high-low bball if you're going to have your 7 footer as part of the rotation at the top of the key? The Gophers have offensive talent, they have no offensive sets that produce regularly. Rarely do you see a basket cut or pick and roll executed. Offensive zone in-bounds plays are another story as well.

1. Carr lay-ups
  2. Forward post-up shots
  3. Open 3-pointers
  4. Other guard lay-ups
5 and 7 are obviously bad.

I wouldn't say #7 is bad necessarily despite those shots not ranking highly by analytics. You have to take what the defense gives you and some players have really done well over their careers with that shot.

1. Carr lay-ups
  2. Forward post-up shots
  3. Open 3-pointers
  4. Other guard lay-ups

I see it different than you do. Quick three point shots, runners when you are 1 on 4, zero passes, one guy tries to take his man and shoot. Zero picks set this season other than a ball screen.

They take bad shots. Lots of them. In fact I would say their shot selection is one of the worst in the conference.

I will agree though that the terrible 3 point shooting is a huge problem.

PS Those 3 point shots are wide open because teams let us have them. They know if they bait us into a shooting a bunch of them, there is ZERO chance we win.

Does Iowa play the right way? The difference is they have great shooters of course.
Richard has never had a team identity, and you can't win consistently without one.

Their defense is bad so on that side of the ball no.

But on offense they move the ball quite well, get it inside, move, set picks, make smart passes and take good shots.

Their guards are smart bottom line. We haven't had one for a long long time.

I see it different than you do. Quick three point shots, runners when you are 1 on 4, zero passes, one guy tries to take his man and shoot. Zero picks set this season other than a ball screen.

They take bad shots. Lots of them. In fact I would say their shot selection is one of the worst in the conference.

I will agree though that the terrible 3 point shooting is a huge problem.

PS Those 3 point shots are wide open because teams let us have them. They know if they bait us into a shooting a bunch of them, there is ZERO chance we win.
I hate the shots taken when nobody has had a chance to get in position for a potential rebound. On a fast break, obviously that's different. Carr's 1 on 4 shots drive me crazy... even when they go in!

I wouldn't say #7 is bad necessarily despite those shots not ranking highly by analytics. You have to take what the defense gives you and some players have really done well over their careers with that shot.
Mashburn is making a living off pull-up mid-range jumpers. He creates the space then keeps his shoulders square. Those are at least 50% for him all day.

Top Bottom