Good Read on Seantrel's Recruitment

It seems pretty clear to me that SH was headed to SC the whole time. It also appears to me that his father wanted him to go to SC for his own personal ambitions. I don't know, but I do not necessarily believe that SH's father is looking out for his son's best interests.

wow....reading that article you get an even more cynical view of this whole thing.....especially about his dad....

You also see where Minnesota ranked to them....:rolleyes:

Sean Henderson and Lane Kiffin graduated four years apart from Minneapolis area high schools. Henderson also thought it was interesting that U.S.C. would appear before the N.C.A.A.’s committee on infractions between Feb. 19 and 21 because Seantrel’s two sisters have birthdays on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21.

“It’s just a lot,” he said. “It kind of seems like fate to a certain extent.”

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. The article reinforced that dad was the clear force behind everything. I love how he described Tressel as boring!

Interesting how he described USC as a "bigger stage." The Gophers would be on a much bigger "stage" in town if there were no Vikings.

Sean Henderson and Lane Kiffin graduated four years apart from Minneapolis area high schools. Henderson also thought it was interesting that U.S.C. would appear before the N.C.A.A.’s committee on infractions between Feb. 19 and 21 because Seantrel’s two sisters have birthdays on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21.

I don't get this last portion of the article. How does USC's appearance in front of the NCAA's infraction committee between Feb 19 and 21 have anything to do with Henderson's sisters birthdays being on Feb 20 and 21? How does that make USC a better choice for the Hendersons? The fact they have to go in front of the infractions committee should be a reason not to go to USC.

During his son’s recruitment, Sean Henderson said, recruiters from other colleges mentioned that the Trojans might face penalties from an N.C.A.A. investigation of their athletic program. But while visiting the Hendersons last week in Minneapolis, Lane Kiffin told them not to be worried, Sean Henderson said.

“As far as he’s been informed — he was very, very choosy with his words — there shouldn’t be anything going wrong because there was no knowledge of anything going on by the staff,” Sean Henderson said.

The Hendersons asked Kiffin to be clear about what impact the N.C.A.A. might have on the Trojans’ football program, Sean Henderson said. Just before Seantreal chose U.S.C. on Wednesday, Kiffin reiterated not to listen to others who said the Trojans might face sanctions. “We don’t want it to have any negative effect on Seantrel’s future,” Sean Henderson said.

Really? That is your assurance? Lane Kiffin told them not to be worried? I can't believe that assuaged any fear they may have had. That is incomprehensible. Almost as crazy as thinking his sister's birthdays being near the days of the NCAA hearing has any impact on it...I'm dumbfounded.

Thanks for the link. The article reinforced that dad was the clear force behind everything. I love how he described Tressel as boring!

Interesting how he described USC as a "bigger stage." The Gophers would be on a much bigger "stage" in town if there were no Vikings.

I think the bigger stage he is referring to is the city of Los Angeles itself. Whether the Vikings are in town or not Minneapolis is not going to match the glitz and glamour of LA.

Funny that they were concerned about the pace of Miami being too fast, so what do they do? Move to L.A. OhhhKaay. Also thought it was a bit disrespectful to Tressel to call his pitch boring. Here is a guy who offers your son a full ride scholarship to a great school and he apparently wasn't listening carefully. One of those guys that just hear nothing but buzzing in their ears until you start talking about palm trees or rap music.

“Sean, you know we’ve got the most love for you here,” the elder Henderson recalled Brewster telling him. “We’re going to take good care of Seantrel. We’ve been recruiting him since ninth grade. Who’s going to do him better than we will? You know this is the right place for him. Staying home would be a good thing.”

But Henderson said he would have been passing up “greater opportunities on a bigger stage” by attending Minnesota.

“I can always come back home,” Henderson said.

Disgusting, I'll be the petty one, immature and stupid, that's me.
Worst decision of any local athlete in the history of Minnesota, hope he actually breaks through the assistant coach holding him back from pummeling Kiffin when Kiffin leaves for the NFL next year. See you next season SH, good luck with the boo birds.

ridiculous

The fact that his dad was on the show with him in front of the cameras tells me all I need to know about them and how Sean is pimping him. The family should be with the kid and at the studio, but off stage supporting him, not trying to get in the screen shot. It is laughable.

(Unless that picture of him was during a rehearsal, then I take back my statements)

Tressel may be boring but he's won a national title as a head coach. Something Kiffin has not come close to doing.

I'm reading this while I'm watching "The Hanover"; for real. Somehow the two of them seem to have a lot in common.

Honestly, the New York Times article seems more surreal.

I think the bigger stage he is referring to is the city of Los Angeles itself. Whether the Vikings are in town or not Minneapolis is not going to match the glitz and glamour of LA.

Really? This line again?

2010 Mock Draft 1st Round Tackles:
Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Anthony Davis, Rutgers
Brian Bulaga, Iowa
Trent Williams, Oklahoma
Bruce Campbell, Maryland

2009 NFL Draft
Jason Smith, 2nd overall, Baylor
Andre Smith, 6th overall, Alabama
Eugene Monroe, 8th overall, Virginia
Michael Oher, 22nd overall, Ole Miss

2008 NFL Draft
Jake Long, 1st overall, Michigan
Ryan Clady, 12th overall Boise State
Chris Williams, 14th overall, Vanderbilt
Branden Albert, 15th overall, (listed as a tackle but plays guard), Virginia
Jeff Otah, 19th overall, Pittsburgh
Sam Baker, 21st overall, USC
Duane Brown, 26th overall, Virginia Tech

The only schools here I would consider "big stages" would be Oklahoma, USC and Michigan. If anything, big schools seem to do less with more talent than small schools. If NFL scouts can figure out how to get to Baylor and draft Jason Smith 2nd overall, they can find their way to Minneapolis/Columbus/St. Olaf. Anywhere Seantrel would have went, he would have made a stage and scouts would have followed him. He doesn't need a bigger stage to be noticed by NFL scouts. Complete lie, IMHO.

I just checked out 2007...1st rounders were from Wisconsin, Penn State and Central Michigan. Yup, the Big Ten just can't produce talent. You won't be noticed if you go to a place like Central Michigan or Boise State, either. Bah. Sorry, just a little bitter by the falsehoods and the incoherent rationalization.

Also, not taking a shot at anyone here. I just can't believe his dad trotted out that line of reasoning.

The fact that his dad was on the show with him in front of the cameras tells me all I need to know about them and how Sean is pimping him. The family should be with the kid and at the studio, but off stage supporting him, not trying to get in the screen shot. It is laughable.

(Unless that picture of him was during a rehearsal, then I take back my statements)

You're right. His family was up there with him the whole time. Why wouldn't they? Free trips to Miami during Pro Bowl weekend and to NY

They wanted a bigger stage. His second choice was Ohio State - it wasn't just about a big city. With the Vikings here the Gophers are an afterthought each fall. It is inherent for two generations now. If you grew up in Madison or Iowa City, the local school would be the big stage. They get all the media coverage. Not here. Not with the Vikings.

Tressel may be boring but he's won a national title as a head coach. Something Kiffin has not come close to doing.

Yes sir. The more I think about it, the more disgusted I am on Ohio State's behalf than our own. Tressel's a great coach who just happens to lack a little flash. If it were my son and it came down to Kiffin or Tressel... well it would never even get that far in the first place I suppose. Imagine the boys over at bucknuts are flaming over their class tonight.

I feel sick

The whole article makes me sick.

The one bright spot, and I'm not a Brewster backer, is that I think Minnesota went about this the right way. Brewster brought him to campus, showed him what the University of Minnesota is. He didn't pawn Seantrel off to some hostesses, or a South Beach nightclub.

If Minneapolis isn't a big enough stage for Seantrel, it's probably best he's not with us. I just hope he doesn't learn too much from Kiffin and Ed Orgeron out in L.A.

Really? This line again?

2010 Mock Draft 1st Round Tackles:
Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Anthony Davis, Rutgers
Brian Bulaga, Iowa
Trent Williams, Oklahoma
Bruce Campbell, Maryland

2009 NFL Draft
Jason Smith, 2nd overall, Baylor
Andre Smith, 6th overall, Alabama
Eugene Monroe, 8th overall, Virginia
Michael Oher, 22nd overall, Ole Miss

2008 NFL Draft
Jake Long, 1st overall, Michigan
Ryan Clady, 12th overall Boise State
Chris Williams, 14th overall, Vanderbilt
Branden Albert, 15th overall, (listed as a tackle but plays guard), Virginia
Jeff Otah, 19th overall, Pittsburgh
Sam Baker, 21st overall, USC
Duane Brown, 26th overall, Virginia Tech

The only schools here I would consider "big stages" would be Oklahoma, USC and Michigan. If anything, big schools seem to do less with more talent than small schools. If NFL scouts can figure out how to get to Baylor and draft Jason Smith 2nd overall, they can find their way to Minneapolis/Columbus/St. Olaf. Anywhere Seantrel would have went, he would have made a stage and scouts would have followed him. He doesn't need a bigger stage to be noticed by NFL scouts. Complete lie, IMHO.

I just checked out 2007...1st rounders were from Wisconsin, Penn State and Central Michigan. Yup, the Big Ten just can't produce talent. You won't be noticed if you go to a place like Central Michigan or Boise State, either. Bah. Sorry, just a little bitter by the falsehoods and the incoherent rationalization.

Again, I think it has little to do with football or the magnitude of the football program. Sean wanted to be out in LA because its LA. Also, does anyone find it strange that his family is moving out there with him?

Just before Seantreal chose U.S.C. on Wednesday, Kiffin reiterated not to listen to others who said the Trojans might face sanctions. “We don’t want it to have any negative effect on Seantrel’s future,” Sean Henderson said.

"Kiffin reiterated just before he chose USC on Wednesday"??? That there is a recruiting violation folks seeing as it was a dead period since Sunday....Not that USC or the Kiffins give a rat's ass about the rules.

This is disgusting.

After eating, the Minnesota coaches and Sean Henderson watched the Pro Bowl while Seantrel played video games.

Dick Tressel, who is known as Doc, sent an e-mail message to Henderson’s father referring to a performance by the rappers Lil Wayne, Eminem and Drake during Sunday’s Grammy Awards.

Think about these images. This is university!

They wanted a bigger stage. His second choice was Ohio State - it wasn't just about a big city. With the Vikings here the Gophers are an afterthought each fall. It is inherent for two generations now. If you grew up in Madison or Iowa City, the local school would be the big stage. They get all the media coverage. Not here. Not with the Vikings.

His second choice was OSU but I really don't think it was even close. Heck, all Kiffin had to say about the NCAA investigation was "Aah don't worry about. It'll be fine" and that was good enough for them. I really think the key thing was Sean wanting to be in Los Angeles.

Just before Seantreal chose U.S.C. on Wednesday, Kiffin reiterated not to listen to others who said the Trojans might face sanctions. “We don’t want it to have any negative effect on Seantrel’s future,” Sean Henderson said.

"Kiffin reiterated just before he chose USC on Wednesday"??? That there is a recruiting violation folks seeing as it was a dead period since Sunday....Not that USC or the Kiffins give a rat's ass about the rules.

Some guy who was bowling with the Henderson's today kept twittering that Kiffin was calling Sean Henderson and was "blowing up" Seantrel's phone every 5 minutes. Definite violation.

As I said before

He is one of those guys that has stars in his eyes-----the big stage stuff. uuugh Some people are just like that. Reminds me of people that pull for the yankees. Ok now I offended alot on here *wink*

"Henderson also thought it was interesting that U.S.C. would appear before the N.C.A.A.’s committee on infractions between Feb. 19 and 21 because Seantrel’s two sisters have birthdays on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21.

I don't get this last portion of the article. How does USC's appearance in front of the NCAA's infraction committee between Feb 19 and 21 have anything to do with Henderson's sisters birthdays being on Feb 20 and 21? How does that make USC a better choice for the Hendersons? The fact they have to go in front of the infractions committee should be a reason not to go to USC.

I'm really not trying to be offensive here so bear with me. I would be so embarrassed if this was my father. Where is "ajokeright?" when you need him. I honestly cannot comprehend how you can make this statement in support of the school your son is going to attend.

Just think for one second about what you are saying. THEY ARE GOING BEFORE THE NCAA TO DISCUSS INFRACTIONS!!! Did you not hear that? Would any rational person ignore that part and jump to, "Hey, your infraction hearings are the same day as Seantrel's sisters birthdays! What are the odds??? This, combined with the fate of us graduating high school four years apart, is good enough for me to give you my son."

I understand if you have other reasons for going to USC, but this is seriously the lamest one you could ever state to the public. The fact the the NYT ended their article with this quote leads me to believe they are subtly making fun of ol Sean.

Hilarious

"Henderson also thought it was interesting that U.S.C. would appear before the N.C.A.A.’s committee on infractions between Feb. 19 and 21 because Seantrel’s two sisters have birthdays on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21.

I'm really not trying to be offensive here so bear with me. I would be so embarrassed if this was my father. Where is "ajokeright?" when you need him. I honestly cannot comprehend how you can make this statement in support of the school your son is going to attend.

Just think for one second about what you are saying. THEY ARE GOING BEFORE THE NCAA TO DISCUSS INFRACTIONS!!! Did you not hear that? Would any rational person ignore that part and jump to, "Hey, your infraction hearings are the same day as Seantrel's sisters birthdays! What are the odds??? This, combined with the fate of us graduating high school four years apart, is good enough for me to give you my son."

I understand if you have other reasons for going to USC, but this is seriously the lamest one you could ever state to the public. The fact the the NYT ended their article with this quote leads me to believe their are subtly making fun of ol Sean.

Sean is a loser dad suddenly in the spotlight because of his son. It makes me sick at times that we spend all the money and emotional energy on these characters. They play games and we care about them because they can make us feel better by winning games for a team we have made an extension of ourselves. Really pretty stupid when you think of it. They do nothing but provide a little entertainment. Pathetic commentary on football fans really.

Top Bottom