Good Read-Mack Brown

Ole

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4796603
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Brown

I dunno, but it seems Brewster is following a similar recipe that Brown did. Will he see similar results?
The comparisons are close at UNC.
UNC isn't a football first school, previous coach had some bowl success but had plateau'd and regressed. I've got to wonder what the attitude towards Brewster would be if he had started out 1-10, 1-10, 6-4-1, like Brown did there. Then follow that up with a 7-4. No bowls. 5th year big time success, spurred recruiting top talent, lead to more success.
On to Texas.
Brown built his team on recruiting and was known as Coach February because he was a better recruiter than coach early. He was charged with improving Texas HS coaches relationships with UT. Notice Brown's record early at Texas against rival Oklahoma and top ten teams. 2003 lost to rival Oklahoma 65-13, remind anyone of our 2008 finale? 2004 Vince Young's(a talented but unpolished QB) sophmore year they sorta broke out at Texas, lost to rival Oklahoma 12-0, ironic. Just some thoughts.

This post actually brings some of my pessimism to the surface. My fear is that if Brewster actually ends up being able to coach he will use Minnesota as a place to cut his teeth, gain experience, and then move on to greener pastures. There's nothing like being the place that provides the on-the-job training that some other school could benefit from. My hope is that someday Minnesota becomes a destination and not just a pass through point.

This post actually brings some of my pessimism to the surface. My fear is that if Brewster actually ends up being able to coach he will use Minnesota as a place to cut his teeth, gain experience, and then move on to greener pastures. There's nothing like being the place that provides the on-the-job training that some other school could benefit from. My hope is that someday Minnesota becomes a destination and not just a pass through point.

Money talks. We start paying coaches a crap-ton of money (like UNC did with Butch Davis) and we become a destination.

That was a great article and shows how crazy the game is. He could not win the big game at Texas for a couple years and I am sure they wanted to run him out of town. He has had a couple of good QB's back to back, you never know in this game when the next down season will be. Ask anyone at Oklahoma if they thought Stoops could lose as many games there as he did this year.

Huh, that's kindof eerie with the similarities.

This just reaffirms my faith in Tim; aside from the recruiting, I have to believe that he is trying to follow Brown's and/or Shannahan's model of success.

Let's allow the student to become the teacher :)

Haha, this reminded me of the phrase "Its better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all." ;)

It's all about patience Gopher fans (and that is not the same as wishing for mediocrity!).
Take a look at Dave Wannsteds stats @ Pitt who also was brought in for his recruiting prowess...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Wannstedt

His first year was better than Brew's but he also inherited a team that just had won the Big Eight with Walt Harris as coach before he bolted town for Stanford. I think he was pretty darn close to getting run out of dodge after his third year like some would like to do with Brewster.

If in year 9 of Brewster's tenor, we lose one game and are ranked Top 5 at the end of the year, I think we would all be in a better frame of mind, even if he bolted for a better job. Money does talk, and it would be interesting to see what kind of offer the U would put together should we eventually have this kind of success with any given coach.

It's all about patience Gopher fans (and that is not the same as wishing for mediocrity!).
Take a look at Dave Wannsteds stats @ Pitt who also was brought in for his recruiting prowess...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Wannstedt

His first year was better than Brew's but he also inherited a team that just had won the Big Eight with Walt Harris as coach before he bolted town for Stanford. I think he was pretty darn close to getting run out of dodge after his third year like some would like to do with Brewster.

What I find to be most interesting about Wannstedt is he was an offensive tackle. Put him next to Jeff Wills.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4796603
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Brown

I dunno, but it seems Brewster is following a similar recipe that Brown did. Will he see similar results?
The comparisons are close at UNC.
UNC isn't a football first school, previous coach had some bowl success but had plateau'd and regressed. I've got to wonder what the attitude towards Brewster would be if he had started out 1-10, 1-10, 6-4-1, like Brown did there. Then follow that up with a 7-4. No bowls. 5th year big time success, spurred recruiting top talent, lead to more success.
On to Texas.
Brown built his team on recruiting and was known as Coach February because he was a better recruiter than coach early. He was charged with improving Texas HS coaches relationships with UT. Notice Brown's record early at Texas against rival Oklahoma and top ten teams. 2003 lost to rival Oklahoma 65-13, remind anyone of our 2008 finale? 2004 Vince Young's(a talented but unpolished QB) sophmore year they sorta broke out at Texas, lost to rival Oklahoma 12-0, ironic. Just some thoughts.

You're right: Mack Brown who was a head coach, AD and anoffensive coordinator, before going to UNC is extremely similar to our coach who came here as a TE coach. If anything this Mack Brown comparison proves that before a coach comes to major conference, such as the B10 or ACC, he should have some coaching experience at a school such as App. State, where Brown coached.

We don't have the talent in MN that Mack Brown has in TX. Your logic that Brewster may be in the mold of Mack Brown is based on the notion that we can recruit like Texas, and that isn't reasonable.

It's not a comparison of Mack Brown the Texas coach and Tim Brewster, it's a comparison of Mack Brown the North Carolina coach and Tim Brewster. Regardless of backgrounds, North Carolina didn't quit on their coach after 3 abysmal season's.

You're right: Mack Brown who was a head coach, AD and anoffensive coordinator, before going to UNC is extremely similar to our coach who came here as a TE coach. If anything this Mack Brown comparison proves that before a coach comes to major conference, such as the B10 or ACC, he should have some coaching experience at a school such as App. State, where Brown coached.

We don't have the talent in MN that Mack Brown has in TX. Your logic that Brewster may be in the mold of Mack Brown is based on the notion that we can recruit like Texas, and that isn't reasonable.

Relax, the comparison he is focusing on is Brew's start here to Brown's at UNC. Try reading his post and the article again, and maybe you'll have a more reasonable perspective.

It's not a comparison of Mack Brown the Texas coach and Tim Brewster, it's a comparison of Mack Brown the North Carolina coach and Tim Brewster. Regardless of backgrounds, North Carolina didn't quit on their coach after 3 abysmal season's.

Beat me to it. Mobile typing sucks..

I admit not setting it up perfectly, however the previous experience of Mack Brown before UNC was very suspect. A 1 year stint at App st. and a sub .500 3 year stint with Tulane isn't much.
Both Brewster and Brown were position coaches and such for the majority of their careers before becoming head coaches. I'll conceed a stint at Iowa state for Brown as the O-coordinator.

The point I was making is this: If Mack Brown was Brewster's college head coaching model, his tenor so far has fit it to a tee, recruit and sell the program, the results are actually better thus far than they were at NC. If Brewster had been 1-11, 1-11, and 6-6 in years 1,2,3 he'd be long gone.
We may not be able to recruit like Texas, but we should be able to like UNC, take a look at some of the players Brown(and Brewster) picked up in the early years at UNC, alot of NFL talent that contributed to success in years 4, 5, 6, 7 etc.

The other point was that Mack Brown struggled early at Texas to win against ranked opponents and rival oklahoma. The inclusion of the scores and Vince Young's history there was just to point out the eerie similarities between our rivalry games in 08 and 09.

I can't believe that the fans of North Carolina or Texas ever put up with the thought that coaching/building a college football program is a process and takes time. Boy were they duped, and by a salesman no less!!! Didn't they have local columnists around to tell them ridiculous and over his head Brown was?

Honestly, the record does not bother me that much.

It's that I don't see The Plan.

Top Bottom