Good aticle on the current state and direction of college football

I agree with a lot of it but College Football will still be strong long after Will Leitch and Deion Sanders are gone.

Great, great article. Colorado is the “prime” example of what’s wrong with college athletics and football in particular. Everyone is chasing the all mighty dollar instead of creating an environment where hard work and effort mean something. Where recruiting the “student athlete” is the proper sequence. Where going to class (and actually attending) and passing 12 credit hours in a recognized major, graduating and becoming a productive citizen is the goal. Instead we have coaches(??) like Sanders who is making a mockery of the portal system- worst idea in NCAA history. Sad, really sad.

I'm not sure I'd go along with everything here. He kinda mixes in opinion while making it come off as fact:

how the program is explicitly constructed to emphasize flash over substance
how the team was essentially built to make an early splash and then fade as inevitable injuries and depth issues set in

I mean, how can the writer say those things? Sure, they have talent at the skill positions like QB, WR, DB, whereas the offensive line isn't that great, but does the writer really think Coach Prime ignored the o-line? Had he addressed it more, the writer would be complaining about even more portal players being brought in.

And I doubt Deion purposely avoided depth in order to make an "early splash".

Seems to me the writer just doesn't like Deion.

Instead we have coaches(??) like Sanders who is making a mockery of the portal system
Well then tell me, what is the appropriate number of portal players a coach can bring in without making a mockery of it? You gotta put a line somewhere. Granted, 57 or whatever is a lot more than any team has done, but when is it not a mockery? 5? 10?

Top Bottom