Gold Out vs. Wisconsin

I think that night game was a gold out:

Check it out

I guess I see your point on the media comparison to PSU, but if we are all gold, we're all gold. Nothing they can say BAD about it. We would need to match the energy at PSU for it to be something truly noteworthy. Against WI, new stadium, Big 10 home opener, especially if we are sitting 3-1 or 4-1 at that point... gotta believe a hoppin atmosphere is probable.

Going to have to disagree again. :) This Iowa blog notes the Black Out for the ' 06 OSU game (and check the time/date stamp on the posting to see that its about the right game).

Unreal

I can't believe how many people are actually complaining about this. Really?

Do you know how cool it would be if everyone actually wore gold and made it work?

The U is trying to do something cool here and people wanna complain about wearing one of our two main school colors? This just proves how stubborn and staid Minnesotans are in general. No wonder people get yelled at for standing at games.

I covered the U of Georgia in 2007 when they did their first-ever 'Blackout' against Auburn. It was one of the most electrifying sporting events I have ever seen (92,000 in black). The team fed off the energy in the stadium and there is no doubt it was a very special moment in UGA football.

See the attached photos for a glimpse of how sweet it can be.

Then, quit your bit*hing and just wear a damn gold shirt on October 3!

Attachments

• stafford_at_the_blackout.jpg
    stafford_at_the_blackout.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 58
  • FBblackout2A.jpg
    FBblackout2A.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 50

I think that night game was a gold out:

Check it out

I guess I see your point on the media comparison to PSU, but if we are all gold, we're all gold. Nothing they can say BAD about it. We would need to match the energy at PSU for it to be something truly noteworthy. Against WI, new stadium, Big 10 home opener, especially if we are sitting 3-1 or 4-1 at that point... gotta believe a hoppin atmosphere is probable.

It will still be hoppin' for you guys at 1-3. I hope it's a late afternoon game for photographic light, among other reasons.

No fanbase pulls it off as they do in Happy Valley.

51896125.jpg

I was unaware there is a "right color shirt" to wear to Gophers games.

I have always been under the impression that we have two school colors.

Has this recently been changed to gold only?

Can you provide a link?

While I can't provide a link, there was a time not too long ago where the PA guy at the Dome would remind fans to wear gold during every game. The student section has been wearing gold for at least 9 seasons now... it's really not that hard to figure out.

I paid $30K for my kid to get a Marketing Degree at the UofM

....and the best they can do is to copy an idea that's been around for years.

I'll admit, I'm being critical, but spending the above stated amount and seeing ideas get copied will do that to you. Come on Marketing Department, you can do better. Don't settle for a rip off of a great idea.

Do you know how cool it would be if everyone actually wore gold and made it work?

The U is trying to do something cool here and people wanna complain about wearing one of our two main school colors? This just proves how stubborn and staid Minnesotans are in general. No wonder people get yelled at for standing at games.

You have your right to think it's "cool," but don't get all uppity and look down on people who don't also think it's "cool." I think it's not only not cool, but lame, unoriginal, uninspired, uninspiring, and pointless...not to mention fascist.

While I can't provide a link, there was a time not too long ago where the PA guy at the Dome would remind fans to wear gold during every game. The student section has been wearing gold for at least 9 seasons now... it's really not that hard to figure out.

I see...the PA guy says that's the color we should be wearing, so that makes it the "right" one? Sorry, I am thoroughly unconvinced. You'll have to do better than that.

You have your right to think it's "cool," but don't get all uppity and look down on people who don't also think it's "cool." I think it's not only not cool, but lame, unoriginal, uninspired, uninspiring, and pointless...not to mention fascist.

I see...the PA guy says that's the color we should be wearing, so that makes it the "right" one? Sorry, I am thoroughly unconvinced. You'll have to do better than that.

Fascist....good god man. Its a fricking shirt color. If you don't like it, don't wear gold. Good god you whine a lot for something thats not really that big of deal.

Next thing you know the cheerleaders will be fascists for trying to make us cheer the team on during the game....
I can just see you now, riling on against the fascist cheerleaders and band forcing me to cheer when they want me too...I'll cheer when I damn well want to not when those fascist bastards want me to!

....and the best they can do is to copy an idea that's been around for years.

I'll admit, I'm being critical, but spending the above stated amount and seeing ideas get copied will do that to you. Come on Marketing Department, you can do better. Don't settle for a rip off of a great idea.

I'm still confused what you think is being ripped off. They're suggesting that fans do be more coordinated in doing something that is a pretty generic part of being a fan (i.e. wearing the school colors) and they have a unique name for the "event".

Dude, get over yourself and stop acting like you're in f--king communist Russia or something. You act like you're being asked to sacrifice your firstborn child or something. The idea that fans might show unity for their team by wearing one color is not asking much. I really don't see what the big deal is here. Did Mommy not let you get the cereal you wanted or something when you were little?

Fans are supposed to be united. Simple concept. I suppose you hated 'Homer Hankies' too during the Twins' '87 and '91 runs?

Fascist....good god man. Its a fricking shirt color. If you don't like it, don't wear gold. Good god you whine a lot for something thats not really that big of deal.

Next thing you know the cheerleaders will be fascists for trying to make us cheer the team on during the game....
I can just see you now, riling on against the fascist cheerleaders and band forcing me to cheer when they want me too...I'll cheer when I damn well want to not when those fascist bastards want me to!

Achtung! Salute the top of the Dome NOW!

89618448.jpg

97350320.jpg

I get that you don't like it when folks get pissy at you for wearing maroon. And I'd agree that anyone wasting their time bitching you out for wearing the other main school color at a Solid Gold game is an idiot. But fascist? Jeebus. You don't want to be told to wear gold. We get it. But to pretend that the idea of a Solid Gold Saturday is some sort of affront to your free will is just silly.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by nooram
It doesn't have to be Gopher wear. Just Gold. I just purchased a new "old gold" fleece top that will look great on 10/3!

Originally posted by dpodoll68
So you would rather that people wear gold than actually wear Gopher gear? Nice priorities.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well, I would like people to wear gold and I suggested a way to do it. I can sew a block M patch on if it'll make you feel better.

I'm still confused what you think is being ripped off. They're suggesting that fans do be more coordinated in doing something that is a pretty generic part of being a fan (i.e. wearing the school colors) and they have a unique name for the "event".

The way it was "Marketed" was the fact that we were going to "Gold Out vs. Wisconsin". I'll stop my rant, but it does not get any more clear than that. Of course I will wear gold and I will support any effort we have to spread school spirit.

But...my daughter got an excellent education at the U of M. She has a great job and is almost as much of a Gopher fan as I am. The Marketing Department has a reputation to uphold (at least in my mind) and I think you should do your best to get something creative. I know if you all put your mind to it (rather than settle for something) you can do great things.

I was unaware there is a "right color shirt" to wear to Gophers games.

I have always been under the impression that we have two school colors.

Has this recently been changed to gold only?

Can you provide a link?

Can you not be a smart-ass, be a sport, and just wear a damn gold shirt for one game out of the year?

The way it was "Marketed" was the fact that we were going to "Gold Out vs. Wisconsin". I'll stop my rant, but it does not get any more clear than that. Of course I will wear gold and I will support any effort we have to spread school spirit.

But...my daughter got an excellent education at the U of M. She has a great job and is almost as much of a Gopher fan as I am. The Marketing Department has a reputation to uphold (at least in my mind) and I think you should do your best to get something creative. I know if you all put your mind to it (rather than settle for something) you can do great things.

To be technical its being billed as Solid Gold Saturday (which is likely how the day will get referenced moving forward by the marketing folks). The Gold Out verbiage was being used to describe the act of making TCF gold. I do agree that they should stay away from using the words Gold Out in any form to avoid the PSU connotation, but its not like they are calling the game a Gold Out and letting that be it.

Fascist....good god man.

fascism - a political movement...that exalts nation...above the individual and that stands for...social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

(courtesy of Merriam-Webster)

Notice any similarities?

Its a fricking shirt color. If you don't like it, don't wear gold.

Actually, I have worn gold to several Gophers games in the past. That's obviously not the point. The point is that I don't appreciate being told I am less of a fan, or having physical violence threatened against me, because I didn't heed the proclamation of the marketing lemmings and wear their approved color.

Good god you whine a lot for something thats not really that big of deal.

I will stop "whining" just as soon as there isn't a weekly thread dedicated to this topic, and even more importantly, when this idiotic concept dies a well-deserved death.

I have yet to see someone start a thread advocating for compliance with cheers, nor have I ever had my fanhood questioned because I wasn't cheering along at every opportunity. Nice non sequitur, though.

Btw, how does one "rile" against something?

Dude, get over yourself and stop acting like you're in f--king communist Russia or something.

Actually, fascism and communism are virtually on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Fascism was created largely as a response to, and a concerted effort against, communism. Take a course in political philosophy before you go spouting off regarding a topic about which you clearly know little.

Did Mommy not let you get the cereal you wanted or something when you were little?

I understand hyperbole as a rhetorical device, but this doesn't even make any sense. What's the connection? Are you saying my mom was a fascist? I'm having trouble linking the two logically...

I suppose you hated 'Homer Hankies' too during the Twins' '87 and '91 runs?

Actually, I thought they were quite awesome. Mostly because they were original, spontaneous, organic to the events taking place, and not shoved down the throats of the unwashed masses who chose to use them.

fascism - a political movement...that exalts nation...above the individual and that stands for...social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Notice any similarities?

Actually, I have worn gold to several Gophers games in the past. That's obviously not the point. The point is that I don't appreciate being told I am less of a fan, or having physical violence threatened against me, because I didn't heed the proclamation of the marketing lemmings and wear their approved color.

I will stop "whining" just as soon as there isn't a weekly thread dedicated to this topic, and even more importantly, when this idiotic concept dies a well-deserved death.

I have yet to see someone start a thread advocating for compliance with cheers, nor have I ever had my fanhood questioned because I wasn't cheering along at every opportunity. Nice non sequitur, though.

Btw, how does one "rile" against something?

Actually, fascism and communism are virtually on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Fascism was created largely as a response to, and a concerted effort against, communism. Take a course in political philosophy before you go spouting off regarding a topic about which you clearly know little.

I understand hyperbole as a rhetorical device, but this doesn't even make any sense. What's the connection? Are you saying my mom was a fascist? I'm having trouble linking the two logically...

Actually, I thought they were quite awesome. Mostly because they were original, spontaneous, organic to the events taking place, and not shoved down the throats of the unwashed masses who chose to use them.

I don't know who you are, other than a major tool and someone who enjoys being a whiny contrary bastard, but I don't need a lecture on logic or politics. The reason I asked if Mommy banned Frosted Flakes is because I've never seen someone so averse to something that should be enjoyable. The only possible explanation is that you had no choices as a child, so now the idea of someone "telling you what to do" makes you want to start talking about extreme political movements.

Again, get over yourself. You're insignificant in this world and you're pissed about it. We get it.

Now put on your gold shirt like a good little lady.

Notice any similarities?
Nope, just you taking an analogy too far.

Again, get over yourself. You're insignificant in this world and you're pissed about it. We get it.

And this is idiotic too. If he wants to be non-conformist and wear Maroon the so be it. Not participating doesn't make him less of a Gopher fan. Jeebus...

Also, you say 'Homer Hankies' were NOT shoved down the throats of the masses??? That is f-ing laughable.

They were sold at every store around the Twin Cities and put on ALL the chairs before the games. How is that any different from asking people to wear the same color to the game? It was a mass movement to have all the fans doing the same thing at the game.

So how is it different? Oh, that's right, it's not, you just like to start E-fights on the Gopher Hole!

I don't know who you are, other than a major tool and someone who enjoys being a whiny contrary bastard, but I don't need a lecture on logic or politics. The reason I asked if Mommy banned Frosted Flakes is because I've never seen someone so averse to something that should be enjoyable. The only possible explanation is that you had no choices as a child, so now the idea of someone "telling you what to do" makes you want to start talking about extreme political movements.

projection - the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects; especially : the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety

And this is idiotic too. If he wants to be non-conformist and wear Maroon the so be it. Not participating doesn't make him less of a Gopher fan. Jeebus...

I didn't say anything about him being less of a fan. I'm just playing his game and being a message board button pusher. I could care less if he wears the shirt or not, it's more the tantrum he is throwing about the idea that is ridiculous.

If you don't see from his past posts that Dollboy just loves to talk sh*t and try to get under people's skin, then you obviously haven't been paying attention on here. He has a "my sh*t doesn't stink" attitiude and has been called on it numerous times.

Homer Hankies were not original.

projection - the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects; especially : the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety

Congratulations on your ability to copy and paste from an Internet dictionary! You've done it twice now in this thread. It really is an amazing skill to have. I'm sure it will take you far.

If you do it a third time, maybe, just maybe you'll get those Frosted Flakes.

Also, you say 'Homer Hankies' were NOT shoved down the throats of the masses??? That is f-ing laughable.

They were sold at every store around the Twin Cities and put on ALL the chairs before the games. How is that any different from asking people to wear the same color to the game? It was a mass movement to have all the fans doing the same thing at the game.

So how is it different? Oh, that's right, it's not, you just like to start E-fights on the Gopher Hole!

a. Which stores carry the marketing department-approved gold gear? I will be sure to stop and pick one up on my way home from work today.

b. Which other professional sports teams used Homer Hankies, and made them a central piece of their marketing that became so ubiquitous it was near-synonymous with the team itself?

c. How many times have the Gopher marketing department placed gold shirts on seats, thereby making it easier (and more cost-effective) for fans to "get with the program"?

d. Tangents, non sequiturs, and other ineffective rhetorical devices are teh bees' knees!!11!1!!

a. Which stores carry the marketing department-approved gold gear? I will be sure to stop and pick one up on my way home from work today.

b. Which other professional sports teams used Homer Hankies, and made them a central piece of their marketing that became so ubiquitous it was near-synonymous with the team itself?

c. How many times have the Gopher marketing department placed gold shirts on seats, thereby making it easier (and more cost-effective) for fans to "get with the program"?

d. Tangents, non sequiturs, and other ineffective rhetorical devices are teh bees' knees!!11!1!!

Why do you keep attempting to throw big words around in all your posts? Do you fancy yourself a real intellectual?

If this were Internet Scrabble, you'd be the total champion. It so wouldn't even be close.

If you don't see from his past posts that Dollboy just loves to talk sh*t and try to get under people's skin, then you obviously haven't been paying attention on here. He has a "my sh*t doesn't stink" attitiude and has been called on it numerous times.

"Dollboy." That's so cute - you must be working on your Boy Scout badge for pathetic, uncreative name-calling.

Please cite even one example of this alleged "talking sh*t" or "try[ing] to get under people's skin" or "my sh*t doesn't stink" "attitiude".

If you're so concerned about my agenda, perhaps it's time to step away from the keyboard and log off Gopher Hole for a while.

Why do you keep attempting to throw big words around in all your posts? Do you fancy yourself a real intellectual?

If this were Internet Scrabble, you'd be the total champion. It so wouldn't even be close.

I don't see any attempts. It rather looks like I'm doing it.

And it's not a stretch for me at all - I have at least one IRL friend who is a frequent poster here that will vouch that this is the way I talk and write always. I'm not trying to portray myself as an intellectual, I just prefer to be something more than a mouth-breathing dolt.

I don't see any attempts. It rather looks like I'm doing it.

And it's not a stretch for me at all - I have at least one IRL friend who will vouch that this is the way I talk and write always. I'm not trying to portray myself as an intellectual, I just prefer to be something more than a mouth-breathing dolt.

That's what's fun about the message boards, you can take time to look up words and edit your responses (which I have no doubt you do). Love to chat with you in person sometime.

How about before the Cal game?

Top Bottom