Going into the Big Ten season, the Gophers team is?...

Going into the Big Ten season, the Gophers team is?...

• Better than I expected

Votes: 74 63.8%
  • Worse than I expected

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About what I expected

Votes: 42 36.2%

• Total voters
Did you watch the last 4 minutes of the Michigan game? After the under 4:00 timeout we played like shit. 3 turnovers, 3 fouls, missed the front end of a one and one and Michigan had a wide open 3 to take the lead with 10 seconds left. Got outscored by 5 at this juncture of the game.
Do you actually like the Gophers because all I see is you tearing them down.

Do you actually like the Gophers because all I see is you tearing them down.

I've liked the Gophers going on 30 years now. I'm just talking the truth. We played bad the last 4 minutes of that game. The first 15 of the half was great. I just don't buy the BS spin that we "learned" something and applied it to the end of this game. We damn near choked it again. Had we played like we did the rest of the half we would have won comfortably.

Do you think we played good the last 4 minutes?

They played so shi77y that Mich came back and w…wait, I just looked and we actually won the game.
We had a 4 pt lead after the under 4 TO and the 2 FT’s of Michigan coming out of the break. Got a nice bucket from Payne on one possession, a great drive and dish by Hawkins to JoJ for a monster dunk then proceeded to play some great d by the team and specifically by Garcia to force McDaniel to try an off balance, wrong footed push shot that had no chance of going in.
We didn’t play perfectly in that last 4, but they did do enough to win and they play some exceptional ball in the 2nd half to take control of the game.

Yes those were the 3 things we did good at the under 4 timeout. Played great the rest of the 2nd half, but almost melted down the stretch again.

Do you think we played good at the under 4 timeout?

I've liked the Gophers going on 30 years now. I'm just talking the truth. We played bad the last 4 minutes of that game. The first 15 of the half was great. I just don't buy the BS spin that we "learned" something and applied it to the end of this game. We damn near choked it again. Had we played like we did the rest of the half we would have won comfortably.

Do you think we played good the last 4 minutes?

So what? Every team plays bad for stretches, all that matters is who wins. If you have watched basketball as much as you say you would know that. Last I checked there isn't a "Win, but didn't play well all game" column in the record...and I doubt anyone who is deciding the NCAA entrants will say "Sure they won enough games...but that last 4 minutes of the Michigan Game is a killer!".

To me it sounds like you are allowing confirmation bias to cloud your judgement.

You can call it spin all you want, to me it is no different than the spin you are putting on trying to downplay the season the Gophers have had so far. (using the last 4 minutes of a game we won as a way to spit on the win is full on spin dude) And I have no problem with you spinning everything negatively or others spinning it positively...none is us know how the loss affected the team. For a team that is supposedly growing bad losses will happen it is how you respond to those losses that matter.

Look, do I think some fans around here are overinflating the prospects of the team...sure. I don't think they are going to make the Tourny and honestly by the end I don't think we will be a fringe bubble team really. But to me that has zero to do with whether this year is a successful year. I also don't feel the need to crap on everyone else's good time over it because lets just enjoy the ride wherever it leads. There will be plenty of time at the end to overanalyze why they didn't make it if they don't. All we can do is beat the teams we play...if we do that the chips will fall where they may.

So what? Every team plays bad for stretches, all that matters is who wins. If you have watched basketball as much as you say you would know that. Last I checked there isn't a "Win, but didn't play well all game" column in the record...and I doubt anyone who is deciding the NCAA entrants will say "Sure they won enough games...but that last 4 minutes of the Michigan Game is a killer!".

To me it sounds like you are allowing confirmation bias to cloud your judgement.

You can call it spin all you want, to me it is no different than the spin you are putting on trying to downplay the season the Gophers have had so far. (using the last 4 minutes of a game we won as a way to spit on the win is full on spin dude) And I have no problem with you spinning everything negatively or others spinning it positively...none is us know how the loss affected the team. For a team that is supposedly growing bad losses will happen it is how you respond to those losses that matter.

Look, do I think some fans around here are overinflating the prospects of the team...sure. I don't think they are going to make the Tourny and honestly by the end I don't think we will be a fringe bubble team really. But to me that has zero to do with whether this year is a successful year. I also don't feel the need to crap on everyone else's good time over it because lets just enjoy the ride wherever it leads. There will be plenty of time at the end to overanalyze why they didn't make it if they don't. All we can do is beat the teams we play...if we do that the chips will fall where they may.

1) I've never downplayed the season the Gophers are currently having. They appear to be much improved, especially on offense. I am very happy with the progress, and given the state of the league, should win 8-12 conference games IMO.

2) This all comes back to us "learning" something for losing to a bad Missouri team, and how because of that, we won last game. That's BS. We didn't play good down the stretch. We played really well in the 2nd half until the last 4 minutes. If we truly did "learn" anything from the Missouri game it was not applied at the end of the Michigan game. That's all I'm saying. 3 turnovers, missed front end of a one and one etc..

Did you watch the last 4 minutes of the Michigan game? After the under 4:00 timeout we played like shit. 3 turnovers, 3 fouls, missed the front end of a one and one and Michigan had a wide open 3 to take the lead with 10 seconds left. Got outscored by 5 at this juncture of the game.
We held on and won. Outscored them by six in the second half. Not perfect but it’s progress and that’s good enough for me if not nearly enough for your exalted standards.

Well said. And some fans don’t care as much right now about making the tournament as we care about competing well and showing improvement.

Yes those were the 3 things we did good at the under 4 timeout. Played great the rest of the 2nd half, but almost melted down the stretch again.

Do you think we played good at the under 4 timeout?
Good enough to win. Actual fans are happy about that.

We held on and won. Outscored them by six in the second half. Not perfect but it’s progress and that’s good enough for me if not nearly enough for your exalted standards.

Yes, we held on. Held being the key word. I don't have exalted standards for this team. But if I'm being told that losing to bad team by choking the game away was a good thing so we could learn something for later, and use this Michigan game as some type of example, that's just spin.

Not
Yes, we held on. Held being the key word. I don't have exalted standards for this team. But if I'm being told that losing to bad team by choking the game away was a good thing so we could learn something for later, and use this Michigan game as some type of example, that's just spin.
Not spin at all. Happens in sports quite often. Holding on to win a Big Ten road game after trailing at half is a notable achievement.

Not

Not spin at all. Happens in sports quite often. Holding on to win a Big Ten road game after trailing at half is a notable achievement.

I understand the notion. I'm happy that we won.

Top Bottom