Goetz officially AD at Iowa

I met her in a bar at a Gopher rally in Fort Collins when she was the interim AD. I knew she was destined for glory. ;)
Had a few conversations with her during her tenure and was impressed with her professionalism.

Was it ever clear why Beth didn’t become our permanent AD?

Could be they wanted someone with AD (not assistant) experience. Could be they wanted a fresh start with someone that wasn't part of the Teague AD office. I have no idea the real reason but those would be 2 logical reasons not to hire her at the time.

Could be they wanted someone with AD (not assistant) experience. Could be they wanted a fresh start with someone that wasn't part of the Teague AD office. I have no idea the real reason but those would be 2 logical reasons not to hire her at the time.
Yeah at the time I recall lots of talk about wanting a fresh start. It wasn't a knock on Beth, just an administrative choice is how I read into it.

Yeah at the time I recall lots of talk about wanting a fresh start. It wasn't a knock on Beth, just an administrative choice is how I read into it.
Coyle had been at Boise, Kentucky and Syracuse and had been here before and was really well liked, IIRC.

You’re all wrong. Kirk didn’t fire his so. His son’s boss did. He can’t legally report to his old man. Nepotism laws exist.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can fire your own son if you want to.
In this instance the law being referenced is Iowa's anti-nepotism law. A public employee (like Kirk) is prohibited from hiring his own son to work under him. Iowa got around that by having Brian hired by and directly reporting to the AD. So here, Kirk couldn't fire his son because, legally, his son never worked under him. That's why the AD could fire him and Kirk couldn't do anything other than whine about it.

In this instance the law being referenced is Iowa's anti-nepotism law. A public employee (like Kirk) is prohibited from hiring his own son to work under him. Iowa got around that by having Brian hired by and directly reporting to the AD. So here, Kirk couldn't fire his son because, legally, his son never worked under him. That's why the AD could fire him and Kirk couldn't do anything other than whine about it.
Does the law prohibit a relative firing a relative? You would think it would only be related to hiring, as the law is intended to prevent people from benefiting from the relationship.

Does the law prohibit a relative firing a relative? You would think it would only be related to hiring, as the law is intended to prevent people from benefiting from the relationship.
It's probably more general about making those kinds of command decisions that a superior would make (hire, promote, fire) regarding a relative and so on.

I understand what you are saying, and I am confident that if Kirk had wanted Brian fired the AD would have complied, but, legally, Kirk had no authority over Brian's employment, so he couldn't fire him. This would be true even if Kirk's contract gave him authority to manage his own staff because he voluntarily relinquished that authority (as to Brian) when he asked for the department to utilize a "work around" to hire his son who would have otherwise been ineligible for employment.

Beth had no AD experience other than the interim role she filled here, and she was part of the Teague AD tree, which couldn't have helped.

She moved on from here and spent time as as the #2 at UConn, spent four years as the Ball State AD, took on the Deputy AD role at Iowa for another year (with some understanding she would be the frontrunner for the job when Barta retired/fired), basically gaining seven additional years of valuable experience she didn't have when the job opened here.

I think she was well-liked here and likely would have done well if she got the job, but I think at the time they needed someone with more experience and unexpectedly landed a sitting Power Five AD.

Last edited:

Statute? It’s a written law. But yes. They exist in Iowa in regards to nepotism.

Probably exist elsewhere but PJ hasn’t named Heather the OC yet.
At Colorado, the women's basketball HC has her husband as Assistant HC.

Top Bottom