Go Get Musselman

If I'm him- go for the money. He has to. I hope he gives the U a chance to match. That's all I ask. If he does so and we can't find the backers then that tells me what I need to know about the future of this program.

I wouldn't pay Payne $1.1m. Rather spread that around to a few other transfers IF that were even possible

I will give you Trevor...but screw Royce White he got what he deserved.
Yes and no. He got popped for shoplifting because he was an idiot. The whole laptop thing was BS. Nothing ever came of it and Maturi kept him suspended the entire year while the UMPD "investigated". Any other kid gets their laptop stolen from an open dorm room, they take your report and say "better lock the door next time."

This is new, but are there any examples of a top-end guy entering the portal and going back to his old team? I think it's already a done deal by the time they announce it.

They can go back if the team would take them back. It just very rarely happens because the team has to focus on replacements right away or they lose out

This has to be problematic for Coyle and I'm not sure Ben can survive it. He would need to hit home runs in the portal and not sure that will happen. Battle and your foundation recruiting class, all with local ties are all bolting.
What would be selling in the portal outside of playing time? Players now want the money and they want to win. If you can't offer them those things then you are going to get some real pedestrian replacements.

The NIL issue is real, but it's also a chicken and egg scenario. It's hard raise NIL funds when you're 15-44 three seasons in.
if we had a comparable NIL deal set up here.... this thread not exist

People are telling Payne's people that they can get him entry level NBA money ($1.1m). Let's see if that happens. But you can see how that would influence a 20-year-old
If that's what he's getting, that is just insane.

Yes and no. He got popped for shoplifting because he was an idiot. The whole laptop thing was BS. Nothing ever came of it and Maturi kept him suspended the entire year while the UMPD "investigated". Any other kid gets their laptop stolen from an open dorm room, they take your report and say "better lock the door next time."
Maybe...but if I was coach I wouldn't want White on my team if he did that. And White proved later on while he was supremely talented, he had issues he needed to deal with. He would have caused as many problems as he solved.

They can go back if the team would take them back. It just very rarely happens because the team has to focus on replacements right away or they lose out
Plus it is not a great look for the coach. In football it is one thing, you have massive rosters. Basketball is a different story. And when you have a coach like Ben who is in desperation mode it will make him look even weaker.

Payne isn't coming back.

Here is and has always been the real problem with MN basketball. They fired Clem. And let themselves get hammered into oblivion. Flat out that was the day it was over and has never recovered.
Had they stood behind him like Kansas, etc has done, he would have gone on to build(or continue) to be a consistent winner. Instead they showed everyone that this University does not care about sports or their coaches and it has been all downhill ever since.

They get LUCKY to land PJ Fleck.
For what its worth, Clem didn't exactly capitalize on the Final Four run before the Ganglehoff scandal. The team the next year was a shell of the 96-97 team. I think that Clem would have had modest success but not likely caught lightning in the bottle again.

The U can't match the money being required to purchase a team.
At this point the whole model of college sports has to change. The major teams (football and basketball) need a designated manager under the AD that works on contract negotiations and roster building. In essence it's got to become a minor league professional enterprise that works to build a team. In that scenario, players can be brought in or cut based on contract. No loyalty, only contract and contribution. You don't contribute...this is a business...you get cut.

The sooner the U sets this up, the better.

Maybe...but if I was coach I wouldn't want White on my team if he did that. And White proved later on while he was supremely talented, he had issues he needed to deal with. He would have caused as many problems as he solved.
Royce had issues. My only point is that the program was pretty close to "full recovery" from the academic scandal going into that season. If that team had fulfilled it's potential it might have been all the way back.

What would be selling in the portal outside of playing time? Players now want the money and they want to win. If you can't offer them those things then you are going to get some real pedestrian replacements.
Maybe he's selling playing with the leading assist guy in the country and some change.

This is new, but are there any examples of a top-end guy entering the portal and going back to his old team? I think it's already a done deal by the time they announce it.
Are there examples of Minnesota matching $1.1 million offers?

The U can't match the money being required to purchase a team.
At this point the whole model of college sports has to change. The major teams (football and basketball) need a designated manager under the AD that works on contract negotiations and roster building. In essence it's got to become a minor league professional enterprise that works to build a team. In that scenario, players can be brought in or cut based on contract. No loyalty, only contract and contribution. You don't contribute...this is a business...you get cut.

The sooner the U sets this up, the better.
The universities aren't/weren't supposed to be part of the NIL negotiations. That seems/seemed to be the only real 'rule' out there regarding NIL.

For what its worth, Clem didn't exactly capitalize on the Final Four run before the Ganglehoff scandal. The team the next year was a shell of the 96-97 team. I think that Clem would have had modest success but not likely caught lightning in the bottle again.
Oh I disagree...the team that made the NCAAs the year the scandal broke was pretty dang good (made the NCAAs and almost won despite players sitting) and had pieces for the future.

I was a freshmen that year I loved that team...

Musselman won’t be able to fix this.

We need a Deon like hire who brings NIL with him.

So what retired NBA player has enough swag to do for us what Deon has done for Colorado?

Does KG want to coach?
Juwan Howard again? No thank you! Just go get a guy who has coached D1 with a winning track record like all the others do and move on, not hard!!!!!!!

I've been a big booster of the Musselman option in the past, but what we've seen this year from him looks from a distance like burnout and, at the very least, erratic behavior. That could be a false perception, but he's no longer the sure thing he was at one time.
Can you offer up anything on the erratic behavior? Enquiring minds want to know 🤔

It's now or never. He wants out of Arkansas so bad he was flirting with SMU. Next season's roster is imploding. This is your last, best chance. Find the $$ and go do it Mark.
If anyone can sell tickets and raise NIL funds, it's him.

Good gosh -

Are you Bill’s illegitimate child (Eric’s half-brother)?

You better take it easy bro or you’ll never crack the 100K post mark.

Wellness check @GopherLady

Musselman won’t be able to fix this.

We need a Deon like hire who brings NIL with him.

So what retired NBA player has enough swag to do for us what Deon has done for Colorado?

Does KG want to coach?
I don't know if the ex-NBA route has proven to be that foolproof.

People are telling Payne's people that they can get him entry level NBA money ($1.1m). Let's see if that happens. But you can see how that would influence a 20-year-old

What kind or actual/factual reporting was done regarding the dollar amount?

Or is this just more internet nonsense?

What kind or actual/factual reporting was done regarding the dollar amount?

Or is this just more internet nonsense?
I could see this happening though. If I were Payne's people I would be asking for this.

This system is stupid IMO, but I would actually be surprised if guys like Payne weren't doing this.

I could see this happening though. If I were Payne's people I would be asking for this.

This system is stupid IMO, but I would actually be surprised if guys like Payne weren't doing this.

I was wondering how anyone knew the specific number and if it was real or internet exaggerated.

I’ll watch this FF and thst may be the end of it.

I was wondering how anyone knew the specific number and if it was real or internet exaggerated.

I’ll watch this FF and thst may be the end of it.
You are right the specific number does suggest some actual knowledge.

We are going to have to hire Rob Brezynski to manage our salaries.

No chance it is even remotely close to that...he would be top 5 in Men's college basketball based on the speculation I have seen for the top players.

Top Bottom