Glimmer of hope for Mbakwe playing next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mbakwe update:
Trevor Mbakwe is currently enrolled in classes and is attending practices with the team while rehabbing, a team source said on Friday. He and the Gophers are planning on petitioning to the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibilty at the appropriate time.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137777263.html

from SID's Jottings

• The fact that Gophers football senior Troy Stoudermire was awarded a sixth year of eligibility makes Trevor Mbakwe, who recently had knee surgery, optimistic he will get a sixth year on the basketball court, too.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/137802873.html

=========

Almost alway's good to be optimistic--- but!

from SID's Jottings

• The fact that Gophers football senior Troy Stoudermire was awarded a sixth year of eligibility makes Trevor Mbakwe, who recently had knee surgery, optimistic he will get a sixth year on the basketball court, too.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/137802873.html

It consistently amazes me how... ugh. I'll bite my tongue and just give you a better translation:

The fact that Stoudermire was granted a hardship waiver and will be able to play during his fifth year of college has absolutely no relevance to Trevor Mbakwe's situation. The U may seek what is effectively a waiver of the Five-Year Rule waiver in Mbakwe's case. The Five-Year Rule is from a different section of the NCAA Bylaws than the hardship waiver rules and includes requirements which Mbakwe does not meet.

Looks like Sid must have gotten this wrong in his Jottings then. :)

The key here is the 6th Year Waiver....

Comparing Mbakwe to Stoud is useless, they are completely different scenarios. The Stoudemire situation was simple math, there was really no chance he wasn't getting a MRS.

On to Mbakwe....

Typically, the only players who are granted a 6th year are players who can explain that they missed significant amount of time because of either an injury or something completely outside of their control.

Kim Royston's situation was a bit peculiar that he got a 6th year. Before Kim was granted his, I thought it was doubtful. He missed his transfer year, which he used as a RS and then was injured in his 5th year, was granted a 6th. That was considered a surprising granting of a medical hardship waiver, because his transfer RS wasn't really outside of his control. I think there were some family issues (illness) which is why the NCAA granted the 6th year.

More similar to Mbakwe, Illinois had a QB named Beutjer a few years ago who was granted a 6th year.
He transferred from Iowa to Illinois following a fight with a teammate and he said it was best for him to leave, he was in trouble in iowa (etc.)
He then got hurt in his 5th season, and he was granted a 6th year.

Mbakwe's situation is going to down to how the NCAA looks at that one year he had to sit out:
Scenario #1: This is a kid who was in legal trouble, the coach didn't let him play because of that legal trouble to which he plead guilty. He missed the season because of his own bad behavior - - he doesn't get the 6th year
Scenario #2: This is a kid who was accused of a crime in which the prosecutor offered him a deal (that they likely wouldn't offer a guilty party), he was the victim of a false accusation, and it was outside of his hands - - he probably gets the 6th year

Great break down Bob Loblaw. Also, one of my favorite Arrested Development jokes is the newspaper headline 'Bob Loblaw Lobs Law Bomb.'

Zero similarities in the Beutjer case & neither of those scenarios you suggested are in line with the facts / current status.

PG: Welch
SG: Au. Hollins
SF: Coleman
PF: Rodney
C: Mbakwe

Loads of talent coming off the bench. I LOVE IT!!!

Zero similarities in the Beutjer case & neither of those scenarios you suggested are in line with the facts / current status.

Zero similarities with the Beutjer case? Really? I hope you realize that you'll never be able to find precedent of "kid misses 1 season due to being forced to sit out due to pending sexual assault case".

The difference is that Beutjer was forced to sit out due to NCAA rules. The NCAA rarely considers the transfer rule to be a situation outside of the player and school's control. They could transfer down to a school and not sit out or they don't have to transfer. However, the similarity is that Beutjer missed a season because of a situation involving an incident where he was alleged to have acted inappropriately.

As far as neither situation being inline with the facts. Yep, welcome to reality. There are usually 3 sides of the story, his side, their side, and reality.

Don't go against GW, he knows more about every controversial story than the people involved. Only his story matters.

Don't go against GW, he knows more about every controversial story than the people involved. Only his story matters.

<sarcasm>[Sarcasm]Yeah, but at least he's not an a$$hat about it.[/Sarcasm]</sarcasm>

What if the NCAA looks further into Mbawke's decision to burn his medical redshirt by playing in the final 11 games for Marquette when he was a freshman? Trevor played just 101 minutes for Marquette as a freshman (in comparison, he played 201 minutes this year and 958 minutes in his one full year of competition). I'd be in favor of anyone in Trevor's situation getting a 6th year, but I am not sure the NCAA will agree.

True, but Sid is as accurate in his Jottings as most of the talking heads on ESPN. :)

Can you really have 'talking heads' on a message board?:)

Edit: Oops, just noticed you said esp network(?), not GH. Must have been that cry wolf thing.:confused:

And since I sorta indicated that Sid got it wrong - he really only said that Mbakwe was 'optimistic'. He did not say he was right to be optimistic.

Just thought I would throw that in there in defense of the hardest working man in sports.

It consistently amazes me how... ugh. I'll bite my tongue and just give you a better translation:

The fact that Stoudermire was granted a hardship waiver and will be able to play during his fifth year of college has absolutely no relevance to Trevor Mbakwe's situation. The U may seek what is effectively a waiver of the Five-Year Rule waiver in Mbakwe's case. The Five-Year Rule is from a different section of the NCAA Bylaws than the hardship waiver rules and includes requirements which Mbakwe does not meet.

ugh.

Well, he's not wrong about the Five Year rule being dfferent than Trevor's situation.

However, he is wrong if he used that as part of his reasoning of why Mbakwe would not be granted a 6th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom