Glen Mason

wels0081

Reaction score
Just curious what thoughts are about Glen Mason's performance on the Big Ten Network last week...

Win or lose, I have a hard time seeing the former coach do any sort of commentary on Minnesota given the way he left the program.

Also, just curious if anyone has heard of Mason being offered or even interviewed for any coaching jobs since he was let go. I follow the team and college football and can't recall his name come up for any head coaching position.

I'm assuming he'd be open to a job but I'm wondering if there is any interest from schools out there. He did well at Kansas and some still believe he should be coaching at The U.

Just curious what thoughts are about Glen Mason's performance on the Big Ten Network last week...

Win or lose, I have a hard time seeing the former coach do any sort of commentary on Minnesota given the way he left the program.

Also, just curious if anyone has heard of Mason being offered or even interviewed for any coaching jobs since he was let go. I follow the team and college football and can't recall his name come up for any head coaching position.

I'm assuming he'd be open to a job but I'm wondering if there is any interest from schools out there. He did well at Kansas and some still believe he should be coaching at The U.

Joe Pa will be done after this season and Mase will have his resume out in full force for that job...however I don't see them offering him the gig

Seriously can we just never bring this Ahole up ever again?
My god, it's so frickin frustrating to have this joker be discussed day in day out, every day somebody brings him up.
He was the definition of a mediocre coach, and he IS directly responsible for the pickle our program is in now.

Any grinning he did after that game should have been slapped off his face, because HE forgot to recruit in 2006 and 2007, our 5th or 4th year seniors are endangered species around here, our juniors with very few exceptions should have been redshirted in 08, and there should be more of them, but the talent level was so low after this joker left JUCOs were very necessary to even field a somewhat competent team.

In all likelihood we'll have a new coach after this season, god help us then if people continue to bring this POS up.

Joe Pa will be done after this season and Mase will have his resume out in full force for that job...however I don't see them offering him the gig

Why would he even waste his time?

Glen Mason has as much chance of being Penn St.'s head coach as I do.

My guess is that Penn State will promote from within. In any case, no one seems to be interested in hiring Mason. At least no one that Mason would be interested in, he could probably get a HC job at a lower level, but it would be a big pay cut.

My guess is that Penn State will promote from within.

Respectfully disagree. The two capable of doing so are Tom Bradley and Jay Paterno. Bradley is getting old, and I don't think he nor Penn St. want his first head coach position to be when he is almost 60. With the younger Paterno, I don't think he nor Penn St. want him to be subjected to the pressure of following his dad at such a big-time school.

My guess is that Greg Schiano will edge out Al Golden, with Randy Edsall a potential dark-horse candidate. This is assuming that Paterno actually retires sometime in the next 5 years.

I get the impression that he's happy with working at Marquette and doing Big Ten
television. He probably doesn't "need" coaching right now the way others might.

When one inquires about Glen Mason on this board, only about 10% of your responses
are gonna be absent of some sort of extreme emotion, usually in the negative.

I didn't realize Mason was brought up everyday... Sorry for the repetition to the users who are sick of the topic but still managed to click on the thread and bother to post a comment!

Most other Big Ten caliber coaches who are dismissed find a way to coach again, even if it's at a non-BCS school. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some opportunity that he passed down.

I didn't realize Mason was brought up everyday... Sorry for the repetition to the users who are sick of the topic but still managed to click on the thread and bother to post a comment!

Most other Big Ten caliber coaches who are dismissed find a way to coach again, even if it's at a non-BCS school. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some opportunity that he passed down.

I've got to imagine that Big Ten Network job pays pretty well, without the pressures of being a coach. He probably could get a job in the MAC, but it would pay a LOT less. His offense might be what an Eastern Michigan would need to rebuild. At this stage in his life, I doubt he wants to take a shot at working himself back up to the BCS. He offers a unique offense, and ADs often play it safe. Even the triple option is less unusual than Mason's was.

Respectfully disagree. The two capable of doing so are Tom Bradley and Jay Paterno. Bradley is getting old, and I don't think he nor Penn St. want his first head coach position to be when he is almost 60. With the younger Paterno, I don't think he nor Penn St. want him to be subjected to the pressure of following his dad at such a big-time school.

My guess is that Greg Schiano will edge out Al Golden, with Randy Edsall a potential dark-horse candidate. This is assuming that Paterno actually retires sometime in the next 5 years.

I agree that the job will likely not be filled from within. I think that if Paterno gets much input that it will go to Golden if they choose to not hire from within as I am told he is a huge fan of his. This is strictly the opinion of a friend of mine who played for JoePa and is still involved with the program. From what I hear if they do promote from within that coach Johnson is the most popular with a lot of former players atleast.

My god, it's so frickin frustrating to have this joker be discussed day in day out, every day somebody brings him up.
He was the definition of a mediocre coach, and he IS directly responsible for the pickle our program is in now.

Any grinning he did after that game should have been slapped off his face, because HE forgot to recruit in 2006 and 2007, our 5th or 4th year seniors are endangered species around here, our juniors with very few exceptions should have been redshirted in 08, and there should be more of them, but the talent level was so low after this joker left JUCOs were very necessary to even field a somewhat competent team.

In all likelihood we'll have a new coach after this season, god help us then if people continue to bring this POS up.

Like it or not, Glenn Mason was probably the Gophers second best coach since the 70s after Lou Holtz. Calling Mason mediocre is actually a compliment since most Gopher coaches recently have been worse than mediocre. Mason brought alot of excitement to Gopherland--I loved watching Maroney, Barber, Russell etc pound the ball and Mason beat some good teams. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for our current coach. If you want to blame someone, blame Maturi for being snowballed into hiring someone obviously unqualified to coach Big Ten football like Brewster. Mason was a very underrated recruiter and many of his recruits were in NFL training camps this year.

Glen Mason is the poster child for a coach who would rather be somewhere else. The truth may very well be after he missed out on the OS job, his heart sank and he gave up. If a new stadium motivated him, then he should have showed it instead of believing the UofM was low on the pecking order for recruits.

With his grin, Mason showed he was more concerned about his ego then the state of Gopher football and I agree with the comment about him commenting on UofM football on the BT network.

I also agree with the annoyance of his name continually being brought up, even in comparison to Brew. Maybe the thing that is really annoying is that him being a more talented HC, he could have and should have proved it. If he had, he would still be coaching the Gophers rather then sitting behind a table giving his opinion to everyone he thinks cares.

What an odd thing to get upset about.

Like it or not, Glenn Mason was probably the Gophers second best coach since the 70s after Lou Holtz. Calling Mason mediocre is actually a compliment since most Gopher coaches recently have been worse than mediocre. Mason brought alot of excitement to Gopherland--I loved watching Maroney, Barber, Russell etc pound the ball and Mason beat some good teams. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for our current coach. If you want to blame someone, blame Maturi for being snowballed into hiring someone obviously unqualified to coach Big Ten football like Brewster. Mason was a very underrated recruiter and many of his recruits were in NFL training camps this year.

Lou Holtz doesn't count, no credit for what he MIGHT have done if he had stayed.

But let's look at the coaches you're comparing him to:

Salem
Holtz - incomplete
Gutey
Wacker
Brewster

That's not exactly a murderer's row of coaches. Wacker was quote comparable to Gutey, only that Mason fattened up on very weak non-conference schedules. Mason and Gutey each had two seasons with winning Big Ten records.

The way HE LEFT the program??? He was freaking fired. He didn't leave anything. I understand why you'd be upset that the players Mase left around didn't thrive in the freaking spread the next year. How in the hell is that Mason's fault?

If I was Mase, I'd keep my sh$t-eating grin every single week as his tenure he continues to be validated by every embarassing low Brewster takes us to. He should be smiling. And the thing is, Mason is a smart guy which makes him a good analyst. Who would want to listen to Brew yapping all afternoon about how tremendous everyone is. Ughh...

there should be a ban on this fake baken crest salesman of a joke. He sucked when he was with us, and he will suck for whoever he goes to. I agree with the previous post, someone should have slapped that smirk off his face, probably would have knocked out his dentures.

The way HE LEFT the program??? He was freaking fired. He didn't leave anything. I understand why you'd be upset that the players Mase left around didn't thrive in the freaking spread the next year. How in the hell is that Mason's fault?

If I was Mase, I'd keep my sh$t-eating grin every single week as his tenure he continues to be validated by every embarassing low Brewster takes us to. He should be smiling. And the thing is, Mason is a smart guy which makes him a good analyst. Who would want to listen to Brew yapping all afternoon about how tremendous everyone is. Ughh...
Yeah, the spread offense isn't exactly to blame for the 1-11 season. The defense gave up nearly 37 points per game that year. Mason left nothing on defense, he never recruited defense, he sent one LB to the NFL (Triplett) and that one really shouldn't count.

Brewster was also interested in the Tennessee, Kansas, and UNLV job while here except none of those programs were interested in him at all.

I think Mase poked around the Wash. State job...that was the rumor, but not that interested because of the pay. I'd bet Schemmell called him about the San Diego State job.

Yeah, the spread offense isn't exactly to blame for the 1-11 season. The defense gave up nearly 37 points per game that year. Mason left nothing on defense, he never recruited defense, he sent one LB to the NFL (Triplett) and that one really shouldn't count.

The offensive line that year was awful, just like every other year under every new offensive coordinator. But they were good the year before under Mase and Shaw. Wonder if it was coaching. Yeah the defense sucked, and would have sucked under Mason as well. But at least he had an offense that would have kept us in enough games to be near .500. That wasn't good enough for most of you, so now you get 1-11 instead. Brilliant move...

I think Mase poked around the Wash. State job...that was the rumor, but not that interested because of the pay. I'd bet Schemmell called him about the San Diego State job.

Honestly, would you take the Washington St job right now? They might go winless in the WAC if they were playing there this year. I suppose if you love the state, and it is a beautiful state, and you are into a 10 year rebuilding project. Tough sell though...

Coaches who would rather be somewhere else don't typically stay in the same job for 9 years. Yeah, he is a Buckeye and so he applied for the OSU job. I can't say I blame him.

I don't necessarily blame him for that either, just that when he lost out on it, whatever enthusiasm he had for MN seemed to get lost as well.

The offensive line that year was awful, just like every other year under every new offensive coordinator. But they were good the year before under Mase and Shaw. Wonder if it was coaching. Yeah the defense sucked, and would have sucked under Mason as well. But at least he had an offense that would have kept us in enough games to be near .500. That wasn't good enough for most of you, so now you get 1-11 instead. Brilliant move...

Defense sucked in Brewsters first year because he lost the top two players just prior to the start of the season and a third starter. Tough to rebound from that.

... he IS directly responsible for the pickle our program is in now.

When you're blaming the predecessor four years into anything, you have a bigger problem than who the predecessor was.

Not that your point isn't valid that things certainly could be better if the situation had been different, but entering your fourth season as coach, if you can't build a program that is good enough to beat a DI-AA team only 3 years removed from D-2 at any BCS school, the predecessor ain't the one to blame.

I am glad we rid ourselves of Masonball. We never would have won big and often with him as HC and he proclaimed us in a rebuilding mode after 10 years? Huh? Its a travesty that he didn't win BT titles in 99 and 03 with the abundance of talent at his disposal. A good number of the frontliners on the 99 squad were Wacker recruits. He got us to low tier bowl games by padding his record against cream puffs and would have soiled his pants playing a NC schedule like Gutey did.

The suits and big cigars finally came to realize that we wanted more and finally set some higher goals and a new direction. Maturi took a very long shot when he hired a rookie HC to get us there. If Brewster fails, the question is this? Would the decision-makers spend the big bucks??

i think people forget how truly awful the D was under Mason (and for years). Just awful, game in, game out

Would the decision-makers spend the big bucks??

There's speculation on the interwebs Gary Patterson turned down 2 million per year here.

"Sources told the Star-Telegram that the Horned Frogs coach was offered a salary worth more than $2 million to leave Fort Worth. He turned down the offer Sunday, and Minnesota hired Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster on Tuesday.
Patterson did not confirm terms of the reported contract offer, though he did acknowledge that he discussed the opening with representatives from Minnesota and Baker-Parker and Associates, an Atlanta-based headhunting firm."

Embarassing low? Last week was embarassing, yes. And I'm off the Brewster bandwagon, but the past two years were very Mason-like record-wise, so I guess Brewster could say, "whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on you." And both reached those records in their own feeble fashion. In my view it's almost impossible for coach to lose three games in one career the way Mason lost to Michigan, Wisconsin and Texas Tech.

We're finding out that Brewster wasn't the answer. But it was time for Mason to go.

Top Bottom