Glen Mason shares what he would have done in final 19 seconds on Podcast

wasn't this the game where Purdue kicked the field goal to tie it in the very last second, then things got worse

in overtime purdue got the ball first and scored a TD

The Gophers had a TD pass caught in the endzone (catch with one foot clearly down and in) but the refs were confused by the endzone markings and ruled the ball was caught out of bounds - giving purdue the win.

Yep, they replayed the play at the Dome and the crowd went nuts. This was one of the first Gopher games I remember going to as a kid. I don't remember the game I went to in 02, but I followed this gem up with the Michigan game in 03. Yet I'm still here!

When Glen Mason speaks, he is no E.F. Hutton to me.

I can't bury the thought of his 2007 Gophers team blowing a 31 point third quarter lead against Texas Tech in the 2007 Insight Bowl. I am scarred for life. :banghead:

Yeah that was a tough loss in OT. I wish we had instant replay back then...

Glen was on KFAN with Barreiro last night and they were talking about the end of this year's Michigan game and Dan brought up that Purdue game to get Glen going.
Mason recalled that the refs could not believe that the home field clock operator left that 1 second on the clock. The ref said that that wouldn't have happened anywhere else in the country. This all led in to a rant about how terrible this school is when it comes to sports including the Metrodome and the Vikings at TCF. Pretty good stuff.

I just re-watched it -- the Purdue guy was fully tackled with 3 seconds left and the refs blowing the whistle. The clock operator still let 2 more seconds run off. It wasn't the clock operator's fault.

The weird thing, though, is how Purdue got the snap off on the kick immediately upon the re-start of play (with no timeouts left).

The weird thing, though, is how Purdue got the snap off on the kick immediately upon the re-start of play (with no timeouts left).

after the game I recall hearing Mason say he was surprised they could get that snap off before that second expired. Also recall hearing Joe Tiller saying they practiced for those kind of situations

If Mason wanted the AD job I would hire him in a heartbeat. I just don't think he wants to work that hard at this point, having way too much fun with the TV gig and being able to do whatever he wants to for the most part.

I don't know if "working hard" is in the DNA.

Top Bottom