Glen Mason and others: Hazing is a 'beyond dumb' tradition in sports that can't end fast enough

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

Former Gophers coach Glen Mason had a zero-tolerance policy on hazing, which he addressed at the start of every fall camp. Mason told me his perspective was shaped by his college coach, Ohio State's Woody Hayes, who did not permit hazing in any form.

"You were a vital member of the team and everybody would be treated with respect," Mason said, recalling Hayes' message to players.

Mason had a near-hazing incident happen in his first season as Gophers coach in 1997. Veterans concocted a hazing scheme for fall camp. An assistant coach found out and stopped it before alerting Mason, who called a team meeting.

"I was livid," Mason said. "The language I used … I challenged them."

Mason said he stood nose-to-nose with one of the veterans who organized it.

"I said, 'I'm going to tell you something: Either you are going to abide by the rules of this team — my rules — or you're gone. You better make up your mind right now.' " Mason recalled.

A player who was on the team and at the meeting said Mason "ripped into guys like nothing I had ever seen."

Mason said the whole notion of hazing made him that angry.

"Who wants to be demeaned like that?" he said. "There's just no place for it on a team."

Go Gophers!!

As someone who ended the last vestiges of hazing in my fraternity at the U when I ran our initiation, I never understood the idea of trying to build camaraderie and brotherhood by doing disrespectful and illegal things to your friends and teammates.

As someone who ended the last vestiges of hazing in my fraternity at the U when I ran our initiation, I never understood the idea of trying to build camaraderie and brotherhood by doing disrespectful and illegal things to your friends and teammates.
We also got rid of hazing in the early 90s. It only took a year and then any type of hazing looked ridiculous.

My fraternity hazing lasted from Fri pm to Sunday pm. No sleep no food except the "barf banquet" which was cpnsuming some horrible concoction and then barfing it up. I later realized the other guys faked barfing but I didn't (how stupid). The 2nd night of painting (without sleep) I started hallucinating about 3 am. It all ended Sunday evening with everyone getting paddled on the ass. One guy who played on the Gopher football team had the paddle broken across his butt the guy hit him so hard. We went through hazing on our high school football team, too. They would put wintergreen on your balls and whip you with belts. Of course there was hazing for my hi-y group in high school. There was even hazing at our summer church camp. Back in the 20s my dad's fraternity would make the guys strip down and they would drive them out to the country and try to find their way back while buck naked. My dad hid a $10 bill in his butt. What a stupid concept.

Good on Mase. Among other problems hazing may start fairly mild and then successive groups try and one up each other.

Last edited:

Wait wait wait… you mean there was actual oversight and they shut it down? What a weird concept!

Good for the assistant coaches to speaking up also. It appears that the Northwestern assistant coaches did nothing.

A classmate of mine was gagged and hogtied with athletic tape and left naked in our common school locker area. Awful. We helped him escape.

His personality changed overnight. Even though I was the son of a school principal—and suffered at the hands of malcontents and mentally deranged classmates growing up—that single act has stuck with me my entire life.

My fraternity hazing lasted from Fri pm to Sunday pm. No sleep no food except the "barf banquet" which was cpnsuming some horrible concoction and then barfing it up. I later realized the other guys faked barfing but I didn't (how stupid). The 2nd night of painting (without sleep) I started hallucinating about 3 am. It all ended Sunday evening with everyone getting paddled on the ass. One guy who played on the Gopher football team had the paddle broken across his butt the guy hit him so hard. We went through hazing on our high school football team, too. They would put wintergreen on your balls and whip you with belts. Of course there was hazing for my hi-y group in high school. There was even hazing at our summer church camp. Back in the 20s my dad's fraternity would make the guys strip down and they would drive them out to the country and try to find their way back while buck naked. My dad hid a $10 bill in his butt. What a stupid concept.
Good lord that sounds awful. Lucky you didn’t get seriously hurt! I remember a buddy of mine who started college in the late 80’s had a guy in his group go into the hospital with alcohol poisoning and almost died…he couldn’t believe that was a real thing. Week later he had the same near fatal scenario, then it got real! He quit the frat, and the dean or president shut everything down with hazing and it was a big deal. Eventually the whole rush thing came back I believe but he was done. Scary stuff!

Top Bottom