Gillispie arrested

melbo

Reaction score
Former UK coach Billy Gillispie was arrested early this morning for DUI in Anderson county Ky. Maybe the fine will be six millon to repay UK their losses.

Former UK coach Billy Gillispie was arrested early this morning for DUI in Anderson county Ky. Maybe the fine will be six millon to repay UK their losses.

How many DUI's has he had? I believe this is not his 1st. Do you have the link for this story/report?

Thanks, HL! His 3rd time that he was arrested for this? That's just means it's the 3rd time he got caught, or couldn't get out of it.

I have said this before, but it just amazes me...you're making millions of dollars,and can't hire a car service or get a cab? You can be sure, if I ever had that kind of $, the first thing I'd hire would be a driver...because if you know you like to drink, that's what you do!

I do like the part where he said he was golfing, and got pulled over at 2:45 am.

I actually hope Gillispie wins his lawsuit against UK. The AD at UK is an idiot and should lose his job. How the hell do you go from Tubby to Gillispie?

I actually hope Gillispie wins his lawsuit against UK. The AD at UK is an idiot and should lose his job. How the hell do you go from Tubby to Gillispie?
I agree that the AD should have lost his job. There was appearently little vetting of the man before the hire. It is hard to believe that any program lucky enough to have Tubby would let the situation come to the point that Tubby would feel he needed to move on and up to another school. Im very glad he did and am really enjoying the building process at the UofM. Go Gophers!

Billie Gillispie

No Nate, he GOLFS. I mean, who hasn't been pulled over while driving erratically due to exhaustion from midnight golfing?

You mean the man who made Tubby Smith the highest paid coach in the nation in 2003? The man who has changed the face of UK Athletics from an incestuous, good old boy network of cronyism and back scratching to a modern, mutli-million dollar operation that donates 2 million dollars every year back into the school's General Scholarship Fund? The man who has turned UK football from a joke of a program to one looking at a 4th straight bowl season in the toughest conference in America. The man who has overseen a vast improvement in the Olympic Sports, remade UK Baseball into a real threat in both the SEC and nationally and is about to embark on a near 1 billion dollar athletic facilities project that includes expansion of Commonwealth Stadium, a new Basketball Arena and a new Baseball/Softball complex.

Dang...that guy sucks.

You mean the man who made Tubby Smith the highest paid coach in the nation in 2003? The man who has changed the face of UK Athletics from an incestuous, good old boy network of cronyism and back scratching to a modern, mutli-million dollar operation that donates 2 million dollars every year back into the school's General Scholarship Fund? The man who has turned UK football from a joke of a program to one looking at a 4th straight bowl season in the toughest conference in America. The man who has overseen a vast improvement in the Olympic Sports, remade UK Baseball into a real threat in both the SEC and nationally and is about to embark on a near 1 billion dollar athletic facilities project that includes expansion of Commonwealth Stadium, a new Basketball Arena and a new Baseball/Softball complex.

Dang...that guy sucks.

Damn straight - Tubby was UNANIMOUSLY voted the Best Coach in the nation in 2003 and had the #1 team so why not make him the highest paid coach, too?

And yes, Mitch B sucks BIGTIME.

How many DUI's has he had? I believe this is not his 1st. Do you have the link for this story/report?

0 actual DUI convictions. 1 prior charge was dropped. He pled to a lesser charge on another 1. He's still innocent until proven guilty on this 1.

Thanks, HL! His 3rd time that he was arrested for this? That's just means it's the 3rd time he got caught, or couldn't get out of it.

I have said this before, but it just amazes me...you're making millions of dollars,and can't hire a car service or get a cab? You can be sure, if I ever had that kind of $, the first thing I'd hire would be a driver...because if you know you like to drink, that's what you do!

I do like the part where he said he was golfing, and got pulled over at 2:45 am.

When he coached UK, he was provided with a full-time driver.

He had a passenger in the car who was also arrested for some drunk-related charge. I'd bet it was a She and Gillispie was driving her home (to Anderson County).

Damn straight - Tubby was UNANIMOUSLY voted the Best Coach in the nation in 2003 and had the #1 team so why not make him the highest paid coach, too?

And yes, Mitch B sucks BIGTIME.

At least Mitch can get high profile games scheduled at home.....

At least Mitch can get high profile games scheduled at home.....

If Mitch B were coach, I'd agree. Any high profile team could beat any team he coached.

High profile coaches don't like to play Tubby. He is the only UK coach since Rupp to defeat Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, and UCLA (plus hold a winning record against those 5 high profile teams).

Oh. Never mind.

If Mitch B were coach, I'd agree. Any high profile team could beat any team he coached.

High profile coaches don't like to play Tubby. He is the only UK coach since Rupp to defeat Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, and UCLA (plus hold a winning record against those 5 high profile teams).

Oh. Never mind.

Tubby does NOT have a winning record against Duke...

Oh. Never mind.

No worries. His days are numbered since he hired Calamari. He might be asking for that 2 mil $ back like coach BCG did when he took UK to the court.

Dang...that guy sucks.

thanks Truth for the info on the responsibilities of an AD besides basketball. With that in mind who do you think has the more difficult and demanding job, the head coach of a major D1 football or bball program, or the AD of the same school. Both seem to be very demanding . I don't hear of as many ADs getting into trouble or getting fired for poor performance as I do head coaches.

Leave it to that bumbling idiot, FOT, to turn a thread about Billy Gillispie drunk driving into a discussion on the merits of Tubby Smith.

Blah I used to like the gopherhole.

thanks Truth for the info on the responsibilities of an AD besides basketball. With that in mind who do you think has the more difficult and demanding job, the head coach of a major D1 football or bball program, or the AD of the same school. Both seem to be very demanding . I don't hear of as many ADs getting into trouble or getting fired for poor performance as I do head coaches.

That's actually a pretty good topic for discussion. Take a look at the University of Florida as an example: A annual budget approaching 100 million dollars, the supervision of probably hundred's of employees, having to handle public relations, media rights, merchandising contracts, etc, the running of 18 Men's and Women's NCAA sports (including everything that entails i.e. compliance, staffing, recruiting budgets, travel costs, etc) not to mention the assorted fundraising, ticket sales and other miscellany that an Athletic Department has to handle. That's just one example and if anyone has any ideas that this isn't a business anymore need look no further than a Florida or an Ohio State to be quickly dissuaded from having a dissenting opinion on the matter.

I don't think fans truly understand the sheer enormity an AD faces at some of these major universities. It is like being a CEO of a Fortune 500 company in many respects. It is true that AD's seem to survive longer than bad or failed coaching hires in football and basketball but how many are around to make two bad hires?

Oh. Never mind.

High profile coaches don't want to play Tubby? Nonsense. Follow the money. We have a terrible NC home schedule because we don't want to pay anybody. They bring in the hyphenateds because they don't have to pay them much and there is no home and home requirements. At least the football team is scheduling decent NC teams.

Considering that there are six out of eighteen "value" games this year, the gopher basketball program might have just about the most expensive tickets in town.

High profile coaches don't want to play Tubby? Nonsense. Follow the money. We have a terrible NC home schedule because we don't want to pay anybody. They bring in the hyphenateds because they don't have to pay them much and there is no home and home requirements. At least the football team is scheduling decent NC teams.

Considering that there are six out of eighteen "value" games this year, the gopher basketball program might have just about the most expensive tickets in town.

I said Don't Like.

U said Don't Want.

Different words, different meanings.

That's actually a pretty good topic for discussion. Take a look at the University of Florida as an example: A annual budget approaching 100 million dollars, the supervision of probably hundred's of employees, having to handle public relations, media rights, merchandising contracts, etc, the running of 18 Men's and Women's NCAA sports (including everything that entails i.e. compliance, staffing, recruiting budgets, travel costs, etc) not to mention the assorted fundraising, ticket sales and other miscellany that an Athletic Department has to handle. That's just one example and if anyone has any ideas that this isn't a business anymore need look no further than a Florida or an Ohio State to be quickly dissuaded from having a dissenting opinion on the matter.

I don't think fans truly understand the sheer enormity an AD faces at some of these major universities. It is like being a CEO of a Fortune 500 company in many respects. It is true that AD's seem to survive longer than bad or failed coaching hires in football and basketball but how many are around to make two bad hires?

How does one go about becoming an AD? Do they rise through the coaching ranks or through the administative side? How much of their knowledge is directly related to sports. Seems that the relationship between a head coach and the AD is very important if anything positive is to be achieved.

When he coached UK, he was provided with a full-time driver.

He had a passenger in the car who was also arrested for some drunk-related charge. I'd bet it was a She and Gillispie was driving her home (to Anderson County).
Ah, another FoT prediction proved wrong. If FoT had only taken the time to click on the link and then on the link provided therein, he would have read:

A passenger in Gillispie's car, 42-year-old Charles O'Connor, was also arrested and charged with alcohol intoxication. Gillispie and O'Connor were taken to the Franklin County Detention Center.
http://www.lex18.com/news/former-uk-coach-billy-gillispie-arrested-and-charged-with-dui/

Ah, another FoT prediction proved wrong. If FoT had only taken the time to click on the link and then on the link provided therein, he would have read:

Trust me, Bubba, "G" has had PLENTY of drunken girls/women in the passenger seat the past 2 years.

Top Bottom