GH: Gophers hope to replicate Louisville's formula, which AD Tom Jurich explains

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gopher AD Joel Maturi understands how significant of an accomplishment TCF Bank Stadium is for the University. Heck, all he has to do is look at what former Gopher assistant and current Louisville AD, Tom Jurich has done. After building Papa John's Stadium 12 years ago, Louisville's entire department has benefited and Jurich explains how this success happened in an interview with GopherHole.com, in its ongoing "TCF Bank Stadium - Changing Gopher Athletics Forever" series.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1020

I was on a golf trip wth some buddies a few years back in Louisville and we saw a game at Papa John's Stadium and I was very impressed. They did a great job with it. nice work on the interview. I am impressed that you were able to get the AD for an interview like this. I didn't realize he coached at Minnesota. I wonder if he would be a candidate for this job in a few years when Maturi steps down which he has indicated he'll do a few years down teh road. Are we a step up from Louisville, a step down or lateral?

I was on a golf trip wth some buddies a few years back in Louisville and we saw a game at Papa John's Stadium and I was very impressed. They did a great job with it. nice work on the interview. I am impressed that you were able to get the AD for an interview like this. I didn't realize he coached at Minnesota. I wonder if he would be a candidate for this job in a few years when Maturi steps down which he has indicated he'll do a few years down teh road. Are we a step up from Louisville, a step down or lateral?

Would we want him? On one hand, Jurich presided over the rise of Louisville's football program. On the other hand, Jurich presided over the downfall of Louisville's football program.

Even though Louisville's star has faded somewhat, they still are better off than they used to be. Anyone who thinks that TCF isn't going to have an enormous positive impact on our football fortunes (ie some of our rival's fans) hasn't thought deeply enough about it. Iowa and Wisconsin may slip a few fans through the gates, but reduced capacity and increased demand will make the trip to Minneasota cost prohibitive. Look at the cost and availability of tickets online right now. Imagine what the prices will be on the street on gameday. Are Iowa fans going to drive up to Minnesota to pay double or triple face value for tickets? No. They can make all the Kinnick North jokes they want, those days are over. Also, recruits will be blow away by TCF. It's modern with a touch of nostalgic class. Now all we need is for gopher fans to show up and create the atmosphere that everyone says was missing during the dome era. That will be the icing on the cake.

Would we want him? On one hand, Jurich presided over the rise of Louisville's football program. On the other hand, Jurich presided over the downfall of Louisville's football program.

First off it was a great article and a interesting perspective. In regards to Jurich he seems like a highly respected guy who was flat out lied to by Bobby Petrino when he ditched the job there on a moments notice as we all know now Petrino has shown a propensity to do.

Thanks, Stan and others...this interview was actually BleedGopher's idea, but I had the pleasure of being able to talk to him. After just a few minute, I have to admit, I was kind of in "awe." Beyond his charisma (he asked me about Sid within the 1st 30 seconds), he's really a visionary. To build $450K+ or so of facilities in his tenure is unreal. He's just one of those people that "gets it." I can't believe he made time to talk to us...and I was actually the one more rushed than him, because I didn't want to take too much of his time. I would just say that we would be lucky to get him as an AD.

Top Bottom