Georgetown's Legendary Coach John Thompson Passes Away

Wow. RIP, JT I just saw him in restaurant in Vegas a couple years ago.

As a St John's and Chris Mullin fan, damn I hated those Hoya teams. The Big East was such a beast back then. Easily my favorite sport over that time period, and it wasn't close.

Wow. RIP, JT I just saw him in restaurant in Vegas a couple years ago.

As a St John's and Chris Mullin fan, damn I hated those Hoya teams. The Big East was such a beast back then. Easily my favorite sport over that time period, and it wasn't close.

There was NOTHING like Big East basketball in the '80s, man. Absolutely savage, with great teams, great games, stars on the court and on the sidelines. Big Monday was the original Must See TV. Thompson was one of the key architects of that success.

Wow two legendary coaches pass away in the same week.

When I think of college basketball in the 1980’s I think of John Thompson and his Hoyas. What a legend.

Go Hoyas!!

Bleed, I saw this Tweet and realized just how many coaching legends we've lost in the last few months alone.

Bleed, I saw this Tweet and realized just how many coaching legends we've lost in the last few months alone.

Dang. That's Mount Rushmore of sorts right there. So many wins, so many lives impacted and so many memories made.

Go College Basketball!!

He was a great coach and seemed to truly care about his players. I remember watching a documentary about Allen Iverson and what a positive role model coach Thompson was in his life.

The '80s was the peak decade for college basketball (IMO) and John Thompson was front and center, along with those great Hoyas teams-I don't need to close my eyes to see the likes of Patrick Ewing, Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Michael Jackson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and Allen Iverson run through my memory, while their mountain of a coach barks from the sidelines with the towel draped over his shoulder. His teams were tough and intimidating and the contrast to the likes of Syracuse and St. Johns made for great television. They were a hair's breath from 3 championships in Ewing's four years, with the two years they lost among the classic college basketball games of all-time.

A couple years back, when rockers Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Tom Petty, and Prince died in short succession, I remember thinking that we might see a strong run of R&R memorials; it's starting to feel the same for college basketball. I took a quick look at the Big 10 roster of coaches from that time period and their ages-excepting Randy Ayers, the youngest coaches are Steve Fisher and Gary Williams (75) with the others ranging between 77 to 84 (with Lou Henson, Jud Heathcote, and Bill Foster having already passed).

Wow two legendary coaches pass away in the same week.

When I think of college basketball in the 1980’s I think of John Thompson and his Hoyas. What a legend.

Go Hoyas!!
And it often seems to occur in threes. Hopefully, not this time.

When someone talks about somebody having a presence....John Thompson had that. His size, his voice, his stature in the game were kinda like the EF Hutton
commercial. When he spoke people stopped and listened.

Picturing him on the sidelines brings back good memories. It was fun times and he was a big part of it. Sad to hear of his passing. Rest In Peace Big John.

Loved how he handled himself, how he taught and mentored his players, how they played ! How they won, what he built. Later in life his interviews with the title winning coaches were legendary. His actions supported his words. No secret the coaches he loved.

Top Bottom