Geometry poll: If tanner morgan can get this ball to the bottom of the number does he score?

Does he score with a ball thrown in stride to the top of the number

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Why is this a thing

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

Some guy

Reaction score
He didn’t get it there, but if Morgan could’ve put it in stride to the bottom of the number does he score

Attachments

• 1305AD65-3E75-4E4C-BC60-5857CCF477D8.jpeg
    1305AD65-3E75-4E4C-BC60-5857CCF477D8.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 82

I voted why is this a thing for the record

That ball is designed to go to the goal line or into the end zone. CAB pulls up a little when he sees Morgan pressured. If the throw is inside the pylon like I think it's supposed to be, it's a TD. Face it. The Hawkeye DE made a good play on a poorly blocked play and blew it up.

That ball is designed to go to the goal line or into the end zone. CAB pulls up a little when he sees Morgan pressured. If the throw is inside the pylon like I think it's supposed to be, it's a TD. Face it. The Hawkeye DE made a good play on a poorly blocked play and blew it up.
That is my take.
And I would say bad play call to ask a freshmen running back to block an end on a play when we NEVER ask our RB to do that

This is a cherry picked moment in time. And cherry picking that the ball will land perfectly where you want it to.

The problem: you can't get the ball there instantly. The DB is closing all the time, and has the entire time that the receiver will have to wait for the ball to be there.

The DB would've closed and made the tackle.

After controlling the LOS all game, why not just ram it in with Ky Thomas? Sigh U Mah.

After controlling the LOS all game, why not just ram it in with Ky Thomas? Sigh U Mah.
Because you need to pound out 3 yards in the GL situation. That's not easy against anyone.

I voted no but I barely passed geometry and that was a long time ago.

He didn’t get it there, but if Morgan could’ve put it in stride to the bottom of the number does he score
It depends on when the ball is thrown. At the moment of the picture, it has no chance. Thrown earlier, maybe.

It depends on when the ball is thrown. At the moment of the picture, it has no chance. Thrown earlier, maybe.
At the moment of the picture the ball is already out and he was late with it because of the pressure, not early

At the moment of the picture the ball is already out and he was late with it because of the pressure, not early
Then I say no he wouldn't score on that with the timing of the throw. Maybe 33.3333% chance of scoring, 66.6666% not.

What is meant by "bottom of the number"?
The bottom of the numbers painted near the sideline. In this case, the "10" and the bottom in this case would be nearest the sideline. So if the ball was delivered to where the bottom of the numbers would be if there was one in that exact spot.

No way he scores with the throw being late, the throw being late was the same reason the throw was awful.

Then I say no he wouldn't score on that with the timing of the throw. Maybe 33.3333% chance of scoring, 66.6666% not.

If the ball hits CRAB in full stride he scores near the pylon.

Just watched the PJ presser.

Tanner is not going anywhere.

He got asked about timing issues in the passing game, PJ said he saw none.

I was shocked that hes so blind

No way he scores with the throw being late, the throw being late was the same reason the throw was awful.
I need my survey questions to have ALL the details in them.

I think he has a couple steps on the defender. CAB would have to slow down for the reception....but I think there's a decent chance he extends the ball over the line.

CrAB is turned around 180 degrees from where he need to run to look back for the ball (i.e. the front of his chest is pointing parallel with the goal line, facing the backfield. When he catches the ball, he has to rotate 180 degrees (or at least 100-ish degrees to lunge for the pylon). This takes him out of stride, and slows him down. He has a step or two on the defender when this image was taken. Even if the ball is perfectly thrown in stride, IMO he will slow down enough when rotating to allow the defender to catch up. Best case scenario, he has enough leverage and space that he can dive for the pylon. Worst case scenario, he has to break a tackle to get in. Even with a perfect throw in this specific instance, my humble opinion is it at best has a 30-40% chance of working. If the ball is late, or thrown too far to the sideline, then maybe a 10% chance, as the defender has all the leverage. It's possible- see the double broken tackle by the Gophers to spring the last IA touchdown. But I would say unlikely.

CrAB is turned around 180 degrees from where he need to run to look back for the ball (i.e. the front of his chest is pointing parallel with the goal line, facing the backfield. When he catches the ball, he has to rotate 180 degrees (or at least 100-ish degrees to lunge for the pylon). This takes him out of stride, and slows him down. He has a step or two on the defender when this image was taken. Even if the ball is perfectly thrown in stride, IMO he will slow down enough when rotating to allow the defender to catch up. Best case scenario, he has enough leverage and space that he can dive for the pylon. Worst case scenario, he has to break a tackle to get in. Even with a perfect throw in this specific instance, my humble opinion is it at best has a 30-40% chance of working. If the ball is late, or thrown too far to the sideline, then maybe a 10% chance, as the defender has all the leverage. It's possible- see the double broken tackle by the Gophers to spring the last IA touchdown. But I would say unlikely.
You are 100% correct in everything you just said when you analyze what happened.

did you happen to read the question?

I'd like to see the whole play. Was the end turned free? Is that possible?

Is Morgan supposed to be so far back of the LOS. I'd have expected him to be a couple of yards closer to it and farther toward the target sideline. No?

Is Morgan supposed to be so far back of the LOS. I'd have expected him to be a couple of yards closer to it and farther toward the target sideline. No?
No, he is supposed to be sprint out right, he got bowed back by a bad cut block (or good play by the DE) causing a bad, late, throw from a spot further back than designed. He should be coming downhill at it not throwing a fadeaway

No, he is supposed to be sprint out right, he got bowed back by a bad cut block (or good play by the DE) causing a bad, late, throw from a spot further back than designed. He should be coming downhill at it not throwing a fadeaway
Thanks, I think you're confirming what I expected -- that he'd be closer to the LOS and farther right but for the DE's strong play.

Just watched the PJ presser.

Tanner is not going anywhere.

He got asked about timing issues in the passing game, PJ said he saw none.

I was shocked that hes so blind
Or he just didn't want to get into something like that in the presser. But I agree that Tanner will 100% be the starter on Saturday and Fleck is working hard to protect him by putting most of the emphasis on the WR room in general and somehwhat on CRAB specifically. Really challenging CRAB to up his game.

To the OP, I didn't think the play had a chance in real time. Felt like even if it go to CRAB he was going to have to beat a guy in the open field to get into the EZ.

Top Bottom