Garin to LB?

WillieBurton

Reaction score
It sounds like Matt Garin is going to be making the switch to LB, which seems like a logical move for him. His size and athleticism will serve him well there.

That's an interesting move. With Brewster's desire to add speed you'd think he would keep him at DE and try to bulk him up some. Maybe Brewster envisions him as a Chad Greenway type.

Hmm, this would be an interesting move... I'd much rather him bulk up and stay at DE with Cooper, Tinsley, Reeves, Maresh, and Sharpe (although Sharpe looks overweight and is a senior) all currently backing up linebacker spots. Even if he gained just 20 pounds in the next year, a 240-245 pound situational pass rusher would seem to have a place on a team that will be losing three DEnds (Onwuachi, McKinley, and Henderson) and will only have three others on the roster listed as such (KGM, Jacobs, and Wilhite).

I can't imagine he would be seeing the field this year at the linebacker spot, would he? I would think he would have to be REALLY impressing some folks if that were indeed the case.

I think this speaks along with the Hageman move that we are in need of pash rushers ASAP.
I watched Garin in pregame drills, one on one pass blocking with an Olineman, he has amazing getoff, and good agility/speed around the corner. the other thing you notice is that he's small, definitly not Big Ten DL ready as far as run support.
If this move happens for this year, which makes more sense than a move to LB and a RS ,
I'd envision him becoming a blitz type linebacker, maybe a 3rd down guy, and then he could move back to DE next year.

3-4 situations

If I read it correctly, we'd be running the 3-4 a little again this year. Garin would make sense as an outside linebacker in that scheme.

Top Bottom