Garcia update thread

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
Hoping his injury is not long term!!

It looked like he got hurt on the play when Perkins kneed him in the groin..... wonder if he bruised his up thigh or maybe is dangling modifiers.

Hoping he can play against the Boilermakers.......otherwise the tiny bit of hope in that game is gone.

Go Gophers!

Hoping his injury is not long term!!

It looked like he got hurt on the play when Perkins kneed him in the groin..... wonder if he bruised his up thigh or maybe is dangling modifiers.

Hoping he can play against the Boilermakers.......otherwise the tiny bit of hope in that game is gone.

Go Gophers!
Hopefully nothing serious. If he isn't 100% I would sit him against Purdue. With or without him we are unlikely to beat the #2 team in the country in their place so would be far better to have a healthy Garcia for the stretch run than to rush him back in a game we will almost certainly lose against a really good team on the road.

Hopefully nothing serious. If he isn't 100% I would sit him against Purdue. With or without him we are unlikely to beat the #2 team in the country in their place so would be far better to have a healthy Garcia for the stretch run than to rush him back in a game we will almost certainly lose against a really good team on the road.
I would throw Ihnen, Betts, Wilson and the rest of the bench out there for Purdue. Rest the starters and prep for what's left of the BIG season.

I would throw Ihnen, Betts, Wilson and the rest of the bench out there for Purdue. Rest the starters and prep for what's left of the BIG season.
lol, sounds like the Russian approach to Andvika!

Except Ben doesn’t have endless prisoners to throw at them.

lol, sounds like the Russian approach to Andvika!

Except Ben doesn’t have endless prisoners to throw at them.
Looking for any kind of entertainment value at this point.

You think player is soft for missing a couple weeks over a sprained ankle? Well that is certainly one perspective. Not a correct one but it counts!

that will never happen.

I certainly hope not. NET rankings aren't just based on wins, they're also based on quality losses. If we went to Purdue and lost by 10 or less, our NET ranking could increase a bit. If we lose by more than 20, it likely declines. If we want to make the NIT, we don't have much room for declines.

Start Wilson to pound on that thing that plays center for Purdon't and soften him up
The opposite approach might actually work. Put undersized players on him and when he turns to shoot and elbows out players in the head gets called for a foul.

I certainly hope not. NET rankings aren't just based on wins, they're also based on quality losses. If we went to Purdue and lost by 10 or less, our NET ranking could increase a bit. If we lose by more than 20, it likely declines. If we want to make the NIT, we don't have much room for declines.

General rule of thumb for NET rankings especially in conference play when the schedule strength is there.

Cover the spread

The NET like Kenpom takes efficiency into account. Which is where Vegas grabs their spreads.

So yeah if we lose by 10 or less to Purdue it’s almost certain to at worst stay the sams

Resting players for later in the season sends a horrible message to the players.

You're simply telling them they are not good enough, and I would hate to play for a coach that would send that message.

Resting players for later in the season sends a horrible message to the players.

You're simply telling them they are not good enough, and I would hate to play for a coach that would send that message.
And to be fair I doubt anyone thinks that is what Johnson is going to do. This is an ideal game to sit a guy who is injured like Garcia (if that ends up being the case) but I don't think anyone would actually seriously say we should play all the backups and sit the starters.

I mean maybe Big Dawg was serious in his post but I took that as a joke because I can't see any college coach actually doing that. This isn't the NBA where load management is apparently a thing.

when Garcia went down, it looked to me as if he grabbed at his hamstring area.

IF - and I say IF - this is a pulled groin or pulled hamstring, that could be a multi-week injury. Hopefully it's not as serious - but the fact that Garcia never came back in the game during the meltdown suggests that it's at least moderately serious.

If I was betting, I'd say that he misses the next 2 games.

Ben's quote in Marcus's game story. Hopefully he only misses the Purdue game, if that.

"He tried to give it a go and just couldn't do it," Johnson said about Garcia, who didn't return after limping off with 15:45 to play. "I don't think it's anything significant in terms of long term."

I was there for that game. That's all I have to add. At least I think I was there.

I think it was against Shaq’s Lakers. I assume Hack-a-Shaq.

Need to look into it. I wonder if they were short a big and called a random local to play (random being former D1 7ft’er.) so they could foul Shaq?

apparently the Garcia injury is being termed a "lower body injury." that narrows it down a little......

Top Bottom