Garcia Selected to Preseason All-Big Ten Team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

University of Minnesota men's basketball standout Dawson Garcia (Savage, Minn.) has been selected to the Preseason All-Big Ten Team, announced today by the league office. The Preseason All-Big Ten Team was selected by media members covering Big Ten institutions. All ten members of the 2023-24 Preseason All-Big Ten Team received All-Big Ten honors following the 2022-23 campaign. It is Garcia's first preseason honor of his career.

Last season with the Golden Gophers, Garcia led Minnesota in both scoring and rebounding when he averaged 15.3 points and 6.7 rebounds. His 15.3 ppg ranked 10th in league scoring, while his 6.7 rbp was 13th overall. Garcia started in all 26 games he played, as he missed five due to a bone bruise injury from Jan. 22-Feb. 18. In those 26 games played, Garcia was Minnesota's top scorer and rebounder in 10 contests. He shot 45.8 percent from the field this season and 34.5 percent from beyond the arc. Garcia scored double-digit scoring in 22 of 26 games last year, including a career-high 28 points at Ohio State on Jan. 12, 2023. He also established a career-high in rebounds this season when he collected 15 against Nebraska on Jan. 7, 2023. For his collegiate career, Garcia has amassed 893 points and 440 rebounds.

The Gophers open the 2023-24 campaign with an exhibition game Nov. 2 vs. Maclaester. Minnesota begins the 129th year of Golden Gopher men's basketball on Nov. 6 when it hosts Bethune Cookman at 7 p.m. Both the exhibition and season opener can be found on B1G +.

2023-24 Media Big Ten Preseason All-Big Ten Team
Terrence Shannon Jr., Illinois *
Julian Reese, Maryland
Jahmir Young, Maryland *
Dawson Garcia, Minnesota
A.J. Hoggard, Michigan State
Tyson Walker, Michigan State
Keisei Tominaga, Nebraska
Boo Buie, Northwestern *
Zach Edey, Purdue *
Clifford Omoruyi, Rutgers

2023-24 Media Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
Zach Edey, Purdue

Go Gophers!!

6 Big Ten teams don't have a representative. Kinda suggests we should finish middle of the pack?
Garcia and Payne seem to me to be our two most solid contributors. You kinda know what they offer and I think can count on them to deliver that most every game.
So, I'm most curious who emerges as our most dependable, consistent contributors from the other 11 guys...most all have potential to demonstrate they belong. Looking forward to see what happens.

Hope for the best for Dawson. Being at the top of the scouting report for a limited team can be tough (see Battle). The better the rest of the team is, the more likely it will be that Dawson can make the postseason version of this list.

Buyer beware.

On the football side, Brevyn Spann-Ford was the preseason pick to be the next Travis Kelce.
:LOL::LOL:

I am hopeful to see a Gopher senior with high expectations live up to it for this season. Only player in recent memory I recall doing that has been Murphy.

I am hopeful to see a Gopher senior with high expectations live up to it for this season. Only player in recent memory I recall doing that has been Murphy.
But technically, Garcia is a Junior. (As far as eligibility.) I get your point though.

Top Bottom