GAME #29: Gophers (17-11, 6-9) v. Iowa (19-7, 8-5) [BTN, 6:00PM]

There goes again. Coaches for the wins and players for the losses. What in the world happened since last week? Buggs changed his body in one week? I wonder how well Wally could have played too if he ever got a chance. Before you worshippers attack me, I say what I have said all along. Richard is learning on the job.

Go Gophers

Isn't everyone?

Interesting stat, everybody but two people on the team had at least one turnover. The only freshmen, Buggs and McNeil. Good to know we have a solid foundation to turn around our history of completely blowing the end of games!

Buggs had a shot blocked away that turned into a TO/shotclock violation and I believe McNeil air-balled a shot that is basically a TO.

All players need to take care of the ball better.

Nice to see Austin Square up to the hoop and knock down some shots. To often he jumps facing sideways on his 3-pointers.

It never occurred to me until just now. Melsahn Basabe didn't play last night. Was trying to figure out who Oglesby started in place of, and it didn't come to me. That's how deep Iowa is. They're short a key player and I barely noticed.

It never occurred to me until just now. Melsahn Basabe didn't play last night. Was trying to figure out who Oglesby started in place of. That's how deep Iowa is. They're short a key player and I didn't bat an eye.

Yeah I think they could be the deepest team in the country. They are going to be really tough in the tourney, especially if they figure out their defense.

They are going to be really tough in the tourney, especially if they figure out their defense.

Yep. I still think Iowa and Michigan State (if they get all their pieces back) are the Big Ten teams most capable of going deep in the tournament. Lotsa' versatile players & multiple offensive weapons, key ingredients in March. Defense can carry a team to the Sweet 16, but after that you better have multiple guys that can put the ball in the basket. Michigan last year is one example.

Iowa IS going to make a deep run in the Dance. We're going to see that traveling circus of Hawkeye Nation filling up arenas until the second Sunday of March Mardness.

Iowa's depth will be a big help in the BTT where you can play 2, 3 even 4 days in row.

Iowa reminds me of the Gophers last year. Talented team but underachieving down the stretch. I expect them to get bounced before the second weekend.

Iowa reminds me of the Gophers last year. Talented team but underachieving down the stretch. I expect them to get bounced before the second weekend.

I can maybe see the "talented team but underachieving down the stretch" similarity, but other than that they are nothing like our team last year. They have a whole bunch of scorers, something we lacked last year. They also aren't a very good defensive team and defense was one of our strengths last year.

I can maybe see the "talented team but underachieving down the stretch" similarity, but other than that they are nothing like our team last year. They have a whole bunch of scorers, something we lacked last year. They also aren't a very good defensive team and defense was one of our strengths last year.[/QUOTE]

Madtown, last year is gone, just like yesterday.

Iowa

I have seen quite a few Iowa games as my wife is from there and a big college bball fan.

Last nights loss could be considered Iowa's worst of the season and it was on the road to hopefully an ncaa team. Everyone else they lost to was either ranked or are ranked now. Granted losing at home to an injured mich st team and to ohio st are tough losses also.

Iowa may be the deepest team in the country (Clemmons started half their games last year and gets 10min/g this year, bit of a doghouse). They have great leadership with Marble and White. Utoff would start on many teams. Great rebounding team. They shoot it well from 2.

The negative being not a great 3pt shooting team. Oglesby is on this year, Gesell is good, but Marble is very streaky. McCabe having a down year.

The other issue being they are slow on defense especially when Marble is at sg. That is why they tried playing Clemmons more with Gessell and have Marble at the 3; when we were kiling them driving into the lane. Olaseni and Uthoff are both better players than Woodbury, especially on defense. As far as ncaa goes they could have trouble with some really quick guards who can penetrate (Xavier, Uconn, S Diego st, Memphis, Arizona St., etc).

Just re-watched the first half. We scored 30 points in 7 and a half minutes. 30 points!!! That's insane.

Highlight of the first half had to be Pitino's grin after Buggs drained his 3rd three. Just awesome.

Just re-watched the first half. We scored 30 points in 7 and a half minutes. 30 points!!! That's insane.

Highlight of the first half had to be Pitino's grin after Buggs drained his 3rd three. Just awesome.

You talking when he pumped his fist and turned around and was ear to ear? Yeah, great moment, when a kid realizes what he's been working hard at. Like a proud papa.

Top Bottom