GAME #21: Gophers (15-5, 4-3) @ Nebraska (9-9, 1-5) [BTN, 1/26, 5:00PM]

In some respects I'd say the Gophers' biggest (remaining) game of the season is @ Northwestern. This team in all likelihood needs 1 or maybe 2 more road wins. I don't care how much we hear about how Northwestern's defense has improved (and yes, it has), they still stink. If the Gophers can't sweep Northwestern, then you deserve to have your NCAA bid in peril on Selection Sunday. Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue all lost to Northwestern, and look where they are right now. Gophers need to avoid joining that dubious company.

Nebraska was a very gettable road game for the Gophers, but there's no shame in losing to the 'Huskers. I would have said the same thing if Andre had been healthy. Gophers are still in solid shape for a NCAA bid, but a couple more road wins (anywhere) would sure make their life a lot easier. Based on what I saw last night, I don't like our chances in Madison, Columbus, and Ann Arbor. West Lafayette. ... maybe.

This speaks for me. People should have noticed that Rich countered what Nebraska was doing and that it wasn't the difference in the game. If there's a coaching deficit in here anywhere, it's the staff's inability to keep the troops hungry. It may be time to challenge their manhood the way Clem always used to.

I disagree - Our counter was much less effective than lil Dre coming off of a high pick and roll and causing havoc by attacking the teeth of the defense. Lil Dre was basically useless in the game because of what Miles put in-front of him. Credit the fact that Miles gameplanned or perhaps because big Dre was not on the court, but it most definitely was one of the major reasons we lost this game.

Pitino needed to find a way to get Dre into the game and not turning the ball over 9 times. He didn't.

Gophers are still in solid shape for a NCAA bid, but a couple more road wins (anywhere) would sure make their life a lot easier. Based on what I saw last night, I don't like our chances in Madison, Columbus, and Ann Arbor. West Lafayette. ... maybe.

I hear you based on the skill levels of those other teams, but I actually think we match up very well with Wisconsin. Obviously that is easier to say after handing it to them less than a week ago, and we won't get a single call at the Kohl Center, but I expect us to have a shot in that game (I would put it as just as likely as @ Purdue actually).

I'm hoping the Nebraska game was nothing more than an aberration. This is the same team that beat Richmond on the road and took Michigan State to overtime away from home. They also dominated Wisconsin and beat up Ohio State at Williams. As good as Smith was last night, DeAndre was that bad. I can't remember a more dreadful performance from a PG in all my years watching this team. But he seems like a rather strong-willed young man and should bounce back. You could hear Miles on BTN talk about their game plan for Matheau, and it worked beautifully. That was some excellent coaching. The little guy was out-of-sorts trying to navigate around those long limbs of the Huskers up top. Pettaway is a dynamo, there is no other was to put it. Thirty-five points on 10-for-15 shooting is unreal. The scary part is he has two years after this one of eligibility. Look out.

My biggest observation from last night's game was the lack of offensive fluidity. Yes, Malik was sizzling and the team dropped 78 points, but I didn't see any consistency. Elliot was simply taken out of the game (by the defense), and why? That team doesn't exactly have the greatest post defenders in the league. Same with Mo, although I'm not totally surprised with that. He's not a game-changing talent. His Sconny performance was his nut if he was a blind squirrel. But not Elliot. I expect so much more from him and I just didn't see it last night, or the game before. I think everyone's disappointment with his struggles is a good thing. It means he's generated enough strong performances in the past to raise the bar.

Not having Dre Hollins cost the team a very good chance to win that game. That high double team on lil' Dre would not have been as effective with another shooter on the wing. Alternatively, Dre Hollins would have played a lot of minutes at PG and would have fared much better than Mav, who was terrible. We needed a little more offense last night with Nebraska's hot shooting and not having Dre was the difference. Need to bounce back against NU and find that road win somewhere else.

We need a 9-9 BIG record to make the dance.

>50% chance:
Northwestern
Illinois
Penn State

50/50:
Indiana
@Northwestern

<50%

@Purdue
@Wisconsin
@Ohio State
Iowa
@Michigan
I would put IU and NW in the greater category were at home against IU and if we're a tourney team we can't lose in Evanston. I would say the way Purdue's been playing if we have Dre back that's a 50/50 game on the road

In some respects I'd say the Gophers' biggest (remaining) game of the season is @ Northwestern. This team in all likelihood needs 1 or maybe 2 more road wins. I don't care how much we hear about how Northwestern's defense has improved (and yes, it has), they still stink. If the Gophers can't sweep Northwestern, there are issues. Northwestern is bad, and if you can't sweep the Wildcats then you deserve to have your NCAA bid in peril on Selection Sunday.

Nebraska was a very gettable road game for the Gophers, but there's no shame in losing to the 'Huskers. I would have said the same thing if Andre had been healthy. Gophers are still in solid shape for a NCAA bid, but a couple more road wins (anywhere) would sure make their life a lot easier. Based on what I saw last night, I don't like our chances in Madison, Columbus, and Ann Arbor. West Lafayette. ... maybe.

At Northwestern and at Purdue - need to win at least one of those. If not, our margin for error at home is zero.

I would put IU and NW in the greater category were at home against IU and if we're a tourney team we can't lose in Evanston. I would say the way Purdue's been playing if we have Dre back that's a 50/50 game on the road
Agree with this IU and @NW both should be in the greater than category and I think Purdue should be in the 50/50 category whether Dre is back or not.

At Northwestern and at Purdue - need to win at least one of those. If not, our margin for error at home is zero.

Bingo.

Beating Nebraska would have increased that margin of error 10-fold. I'm allowing for one home loss the rest of the way (Iowa the best candidate), so that would make a second road win mandatory to get to the 9-9 most of us think would secure a NCAA bid.

Quite the mood change between this board and the Wisconsin board. Go from "we want a 7th seed"/"can make a deep run" to "we are out"/"Pitino can't coach".

Thoughts from someone who's glass is half-full:

*Little Dre had a tough game, both from a good game-plan against him and the fact he was pressing. He'll learn and adjust for next time.

*Pitino kept the team fighting. Last year's team would have lost this game by 20.

*Malik is cold-blooded. Not expecting 20 every night, but we can really use him in the clutch.

10 games left - we have the ability to win them all, and the inexperience to lose them all. Let's keep improving and bring back more W's than L's.

Not having Dre Hollins cost the team a very good chance to win that game. That high double team on lil' Dre would not have been as effective with another shooter on the wing. Alternatively, Dre Hollins would have played a lot of minutes at PG and would have fared much better than Mav, who was terrible. We needed a little more offense last night with Nebraska's hot shooting and not having Dre was the difference. Need to bounce back against NU and find that road win somewhere else.

I don't think not having Dre left us without a very good chance to win the game. As it was without Dre, we were within 2 with a few seconds left, despite missing FOUR front-ends, and only playing hard for about 10 minutes. Maybe we win with Dre there, but we also win if we capitalize on 3 of the 8 potential free throws that were lost with the missed front ends. Or two of the missed layups. We need to respond the way Michigan did when Mcgary went down.

Quite the mood change between this board and the Wisconsin board. Go from "we want a 7th seed"/"can make a deep run" to "we are out"/"Pitino can't coach".

*Little Dre had a tough game, both from a good game-plan against him and the fact he was pressing. He'll learn and adjust for next time.

*Pitino kept the team fighting. Last year's team would have lost this game by 20.

*Malik is cold-blooded. Not expecting 20 every night, but we can really use him in the clutch.

10 games left - we have the ability to win them all, and the inexperience to lose them all. Let's keep improving and bring back more W's than L's.

Agree, and the bold is what I was referencing when I said the Gopher Fan base was a little over-confident. No matter how hard they try and how well they are coached, no team can play it's best game every game.

Bingo.

Beating Nebraska would have increased that margin of error 10-fold. I'm allowing for one home loss the rest of the way (Iowa the best candidate), so that would make a second road win mandatory to get to the 9-9 most of us think would secure a NCAA bid.

I share your thoughts SS. I'm just hoping the loss of Andre is not the difference between making and not making the dance. My gut tells me the BTT could be very important to this team.

In some respects I'd say the Gophers' biggest (remaining) game of the season is @ Northwestern. This team in all likelihood needs 1 or maybe 2 more road wins. I don't care how much we hear about how Northwestern's defense has improved (and yes, it has), they still stink. If the Gophers can't sweep Northwestern, then you deserve to have your NCAA bid in peril on Selection Sunday. Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue all lost to Northwestern, and look where they are right now. Gophers need to avoid joining that dubious company.

Agree with this. Though the way this team plays, I wouldn't be shocked by a win in Columbus or Ann Arbor and a loss at NW.

+1 He's been great this year. When he walks on the court next season, he'll be better yet.

"*Little Dre had a tough game, both from a good game-plan against him and the fact he was pressing. He'll learn and adjust for next time.

10 games left - we have the ability to win them all, and the inexperience to lose them all. Let's keep improving and bring back more W's than L's."

best post on this thread by far!!

Dre had a bad game. 9 turn overs is not good. will he do that again.....doubt it very much.

I agree it was a good coaching move. I disagree that you can say someone got outcoached under the circumstances, playing on the road versus at home is night and day. Something else to consider is we are very short on the perimeter so trapping with tall wings has always bothered us, see Northwestern past few years. Elliot has struggled in two games and I do not think it has anything to do with the defense, he is just in a slump. MO had 8 pts on 4-5 shooting and 5 rebounds, since he averages 6 and 4 I would say he had a better than average game. Now if you think he can do what he did at HOME against Wisconsin, when we needed players to step up, on the road, you will be dissappointed. But i again agree Nebraska is weak in the middle but when they are playing 5 guys who can all shoot the 3 neither of our centers can guard out there. I will take Dre over any pg since Nolen easily and maybe over Nolen by next year. He had a bad game. He had to force things as other than Smith nobody was doing much.

I'm hoping the Nebraska game was nothing more than an aberration. I can't remember a more dreadful performance from a PG in all my years watching this team. But he seems like a rather strong-willed young man and should bounce back. You could hear Miles on BTN talk about their game plan for Matheau, and it worked beautifully. That was some excellent coaching. The little guy was out-of-sorts trying to navigate around those long limbs of the Huskers up top. Pettaway is a dynamo, there is no other was to put it. Thirty-five points on 10-for-15 shooting is unreal.

My biggest observation from last night's game was the lack of offensive fluidity. Yes, Malik was sizzling and the team dropped 78 points, but I didn't see any consistency. Elliot was simply taken out of the game (by the defense), and why? That team doesn't exactly have the greatest post defenders in the league. Same with Mo, although I'm not totally surprised with that. He's not a game-changing talent. QUOTE]

I am guessing one would counter a trap of a pg with quick passes to the wing who would then have a chance to hit the center rolling to the rim. This is a great play against a short but jet quick pg as his line of sight is disturbed. Trouble is Austin has shot so bad from 3 that people will be doubling off of him soon and they have no Dre to worry about out there. This is where we need Oto (2-8) and King (3-6) to start hitting 3's (last 5 games). Another option, on the defensive centers double of the pg, would be to have EE pick Austin's man so Austin can go in for a lob. I am not sure EE catching a high pass from the pg would work to well.

I just looked Austin is 2 for 16 on 3's in the last 5 games. If your a shooter like Dre you keep firing knowing your slump will end, if you are not a good 3pt shooter but your are a good athlete you find a way to score closer to the rim.

The role players knocked down wide open shot and defended shots, you think all those fall at the barn? Our #1 option was taken out of the last game against Wisconsin. He did have a good plan on the pick and roll, and with our lineup a bit hard to adjust in game. Our 5's aren't going to catch a lob and throw it home. He isn't the first coach to call for a trap on a pick and roll against a good guard so cool it. Miles is a good coach wherever he has been, the question will be in the recruiting. Let's also remember his team looks talented and yet they are 2-5 in the B1G and 10-9 overall.

As far as Northwestern goes, they can double team lil Dre with Olah all they want he is very slow, and Dre will either blow by it or the backside cutting and screening will make them wish they didn't. Now the more athletic teams might use it and we will have to decide if Oto will be setting the pick instead of our centers.

You have to be a downright zealot to think that Miles didn't have a better game plan. He took our #1 option completely out of the game with the high ball screen doubles and we had 0 answers for it. And to say that their role players played out of their minds and that's the reason NE beat us is ridiculous considering we had one of the best shooting nights in club history from our normal 6th man. The role players knocked down WIDE OPEN SHOTS, that's a superior game plan. End of story.

I'm not saying Miles is a better coach, he might have been yesterday, but I've got faith in the kid as he has a great track record so far of being a step ahead of some of the best coaches in basketball.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles NW defense on Wednesday, and it will be really interesting to see what NW brings in terms of a defensive gameplan seeing as Miles showed one way to slow Deandre down.

Top Bottom