GAME #18: Gophers (13-4, 2-2) v. #9/11 tOSU (15-2, 2-2) [ESPN2, 1/16, 8:00PM]

He or Mathieu. They're our best players. Andre Hollins has almost become an afterthought. Hollins has dropped to our 3rd best player.

Dre has a target on his back and I'm sure the book on the Gophers is don't let Dre beat you. It's a long, long season.

Yep, happens all the time with big guys. It takes them time to develop. When Dutcher was here it was a regular occurrence to have one or two 7-foot underclassmen on the roster who looked completely overmatched, weak and hopeless, only to turn into a solid (or more) starter by the end of their career. We can all speculate why it never happened with Tubby.

This is why I'm very disappointed that admissions screwed up the Carson Shanks situation.

If you're not giving Orlando most of the credit for developing EE, you weren't watching Dutcher's bigs as closely as I was. It generally takes until their junior year for them to shine. Completely agree on Shanks. I watched all of 1:16 minutes of film, and saw he has a fair shot to play in 2-3 years.

I like where the Gophers are at.

We're a game over .500 in the Big Ten with one really good win (Ohio State), a solid one (Purdue), and a road win (Penn State) & in addition to a nonconference home win over a rugged and athletic FSU squad that is looking better with each passing day.

And ya' know the best part? We're 3-2 in the Big Ten and the Hollins x 2 have played nowhere near up to their ability. That's a good sign, folks, not a bad one. Gophers are finding other ways to win, finding out they have other productive/useful players. ... ones Pitino inherited, and ones he brought here (Mathieu & Smith in particular) that appear to highlight young Richard's shrewd talent evaluation ability. Looking forward to seeing what this team can do when Andre and Austin kick it into full gear.

If you're not giving Orlando most of the credit for developing EE, you weren't watching Dutcher's bigs as closely as I was. It generally takes until their junior year for them to shine. Completely agree on Shanks. I watched all of 1:16 minutes of film, and saw he has a fair shot to play in 2-3 years.

You're definitely the funniest guy on the board. If coaches only knew you could figure out everything you need to know about players from 1:16 worth of highlights, they wouldn't have to waste their time watching them in person.

You're definitely the funniest guy on the board. If coaches only knew you could figure out everything you need to know about players from 1:16 worth of highlights, they wouldn't have to waste their time watching them in person.

I cheated. I saw he had offers from USC, Nebraska, and Colorado State. When Ben Johnson contacted him while he was driving home, it should have made it obvious to even a neophyte such as yourself.

I like where the Gophers are at.

We're a game over .500 in the Big Ten with one really good win (Ohio State), a solid one (Purdue), and a road win (Penn State) & in addition to a nonconference home win over a rugged and athletic FSU squad that is looking better with each passing day.

And ya' know the best part? We're 3-2 in the Big Ten and the Hollins x 2 have played nowhere near up to their ability. That's a good sign, folks, not a bad one. Gophers are finding other ways to win, finding out they have other productive/useful players. ... ones Pitino inherited, and ones he brought here (Mathieu & Smith in particular) that appear to highlight young Richard's shrewd talent evaluation ability. Looking forward to seeing what this team can do when Andre and Austin kick it into full gear.

I am having a great time watching this team. It's a joy to go to the arena not just to see my friends, but also to see a team that has multiple weapons, players getting better every game, and a system they are confident in and will run. I have not seen a Gopher team this organized in a very long time. Even when things aren't going right, they are doing what they are supposed to do, e.g last night Austin took the ball through the lane and got stripped. Great temptation to grumble from 217 about losing the ball, but it was clear that the system calls for breaking down the defense through driving the lane. Mistakes will happen, but at least they are doing what they are supposed to do.

I give Tubby credit for seeing the potential in EE, Oto, and Big Mo. I give credit to Pitino for getting production out of them.

I suppose Tubby should get the credit for Colton Iverson's sudden development at Colorado State?

EE was behind veteran front court players in Sampson, Mbakwe, and Rodney Williams his first years here. We're seeing his confidence build because he is getting the opportunity.

I suppose Tubby should get the credit for Colton Iverson's sudden development at Colorado State?

Are you going to tell me Coach P. took a raw 7-1 center from the middle of nowhere Nebraska, that that bad man Orlando had severely neglected for 3 seasons, doused him with magic dust 9 months ago and created EE?

Are you going to tell me Coach P. took a raw 7-1 center from the middle of nowhere Nebraska, that that bad man Orlando had severely neglected for 3 seasons, doused him with magic dust 9 months ago and created EE?

Now you can try to answer the question I asked.

I cheated. I saw he had offers from USC, Nebraska, and Colorado State. When Ben Johnson contacted him while he was driving home, it should have made it obvious to even a neophyte such as yourself.

You mentioned nothing of that in your post I quoted. What I quoted clearly and explicitly states that your opinion is based off the minute long video you watched. It's your fault if you can't clearly communicate what you actually mean.

That's exactly what I think happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Thad Matta had a stern message for his players afterward.

“He just told us, ‘Right now we’re at rock bottom,”’ Ross said. “We can’t get no lower than this.

Must be nice to be OSU... wow.

You mentioned nothing of that in your post I quoted. What I quoted clearly and explicitly states that your opinion is based off the minute long video you watched. It's your fault if you can't clearly communicate what you actually mean.
Don't feed him...

I think Tubby is a great basketball coach. You can say all you want about someone else's players, to win an NCAA championship you have to be a good coach. That being said, I think Tubby's style is not as effective with this generation of coddled players.

This is not just a college sports problem, but a corporate America problem as well. One of the major challenges companies are facing is how to manage and develop young people from the "coddled" generation.

Consequently, our guys (particularly EE, Mo, and Oto) are responding very well to a younger style and are exuding much more confidence. Their play is following suit.

Spencer was saying this morning on The Gopher Hoops Show, that he expects OSU to win 10 or 11 Big Ten games this year.

Top Bottom