Game 12: Gophers Host Lindenwood (12-21-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Headed Upriver

Lindenwood University, 2-7, is in its second year of Division I basketball. In their first year of D I ball at the St. Charles, Missouri school, the team faced more upriver paddling than Lewis and Clark. The Lions finished 2-24 (1-17 in the Ohio Valley Conference). The two wins were Hannibal-LaGrange and U T Martin. It should be noted that three of the losses were forfeits for lack of available players. Fifth year head coach Katie Falco was dismissed at the end of the season and replaced by Amy Eagan. Eagan arrived following a successful three-year run as head coach at Division 2 Drury compiling an 87-9 record.

This season, after being picked dead last in the preseason OVC poll, the Lions dropped their first six outings to Tulsa, @Dayton, @Cincinnati, @Northern Illinois, Central Arkansas and @Bradley. And then…on Saturday afternoon at Evansville, the Lions appeared headed to Minneapolis on a three-game win streak. APPEARED, I said.

Amy Eagan’s first Lindenwood win was defeating Eastern Michigan 71-64. That was followed by a 99-54 romp over Harris-Stowe State. But, in Evansville, leading 61-45 at the end of the third quarter over the 1-7 Purple Aces the Lions hit a fourth quarter shoal. Former Gopher, Barbora Tomancova (yes it was a surprise to me) and her Evansville teammates rallied to snatch victory from the Lions jaw, 70-68.

Tomancova, who spent two seasons each at Minnesota, FIU and Evansville, was the Purple Aces third leading scorer with 10 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in 23 minutes. Evansville successfully pressed Lindenwood and eventually disrupted the Lion’s four out, dribble drive offense. It was a spirited contest between two of Division 1’s worst teams.

Lindenwood’s players of note:

5’11” Freshman guard, Ellie Brueggemann is the only Lion averaging double figures (14.6 points in 28.2 minutes per game). She started the Evansville game with two early three pointers; but ended it by tripping herself on the dribble, leading to a scramble which eventually led to the Purple Aces game winning free throws. Brueggemann is a good three-point shooter hitting .412 (28-68).

6’2” junior center, Justis Odom posted 17 points and 8 rebounds in 29 minutes against Evansville.

Injury Note:

According to the Evansville announcers 5’8” freshman guard, Aalaya Wilson, from Maple Grove and 5’6” junior guard Kaylen Evans were out with injuries. Evans averaged 11 minutes in eight games. Wilson has not played this season.

A Brief History of Lindenwood:

Lindenwood was founded in 1832 by George and Mary Sibley as a school for women. Before settling in St. Charles, George Sibley played several roles in U.S. expansion including his continued ownership of slaves. Nevertheless, the Sibley’s were friends of noted abolitionist and newspaper editor Elijah Lovejoy. In 1837, Lovejoy barely escaped a pro-slavery mob in St. Charles (possibly assisted by the Sibleys) and made his way back to his home in Alton, Illinois. It was a brief respite of a few weeks before he was murdered trying to defend his new printing press from another pro-slavery mob.

In 1853, the Sibley’s ceded the school to the Presbyterian church which was setting up schools through out the South. In the 1910’s, an endowment allowed Lindenwood to switch from a two year school to a four year college. Men were first admitted in 1968. At some point the affiliation with the Presbyterian church ended; but the school retained a commitment to “Judeo-Christian values”.

I look forward to these game previews. Thank you. 🙂

It looks like it will (hopefully) be another good game to help develop our bench and get many players good minutes.

And 44 to 12 with 4:00 to go 2nd qtr
Lindenwood is shooting 16% so far vs our defense
9 Gophers have played in the game so far

Is this the equivalent of NDSU playing Oak Hills Bible College?

How do you gain anything from a game where you are already up 55-15 at the end of the first half?

How do you gain anything from a game where you are already up 55-15 at the end of the first half?
Maybe better than not playing? Too long of a break between Grambling and Iowa. Wasn’t this a last minute add after the new staff could not fill out their schedule?

Maybe better than not playing? Too long of a break between Grambling and Iowa. Wasn’t this a last minute add after the new staff could not fill out their schedule?
Good question. Maybe this was all that could be scrounged up.

Probably a marginal upgrade over playing Hopkins

It’s fine to play teams like this…. For this team. It got others a lot of playing time. The season is long for starters who play a lot of minutes and for players who sit the bench. Now they get a break and then really get tested. Let’s go!

12 Gophers scored.

OMG, according to radio broadcast, Monica Czinano was there wearing a Gophers shirt cheering on her sister Maggie. Strong game for Czinano today, a double double, including 50% field goal shooting and a 3 pointer.

Lots of contributions today.

Great stuff Maya, appreciate these posts.

After watching Mara fire away from deep and with no hesitation (I'm not complaining), I was reminded of someone who played years ago - Fred Brown. Maybe we could borrow his nickname. "Downtown Mara Braun" sounds good to me.

As fans, we learn why some players aren't part of the regular rotation or at least what areas of their games they need to improve. Watching Ajok Madol play the point is a bonus.

Plus it's not like we're all that far removed from struggling against bottom rung teams.

Top Bottom