Game 1: Gophers Host LIU (11-8-23)

I disagree. I like that coach P was fired up. The team had way too many turnovers. I don’t think this team is playing for wins over LIU, as I assume they have tournament goals. She is not coaching to make fans, she is coaching to win games. I already like that.
I agree that they are playing for much bigger goals then just beating LIU, and being demanding and accountable of yourself and teamates is a good thing. I didn't dislike that she was fired up or coaching hard in the least. Just pace yourself and save some of that for practice. Probably all of just part of getting to know the new staff. My only point was pace yourself, and take the time to celebrate the good with the bad. You can be critical, and teaching of the bad, but there is nothing wrong with showing emotion and celebrating the good also in game. I learned when I was younger that being to critical and hyper reactive in game made players reflect all the negative and not the good they were doing also. I realize they have a long ways to go and a short time to get there against a team like UCONN. It just takes court time for a new staff and team to gel. Yesterday was a good start. It was fun to see them hit so many shots, and energy was very good. Coach P has been coaching a lot longer and forgotten more than I know, all I was saying is take time to enjoy the journey, everyone is new and getting used to this style and play. This staff is here for good reasons, organization and change are starting and showing effects.

Last edited:

Game #1 and people are already questioning the coach's passion and fire during games. From everything I've read or heard, she is a detailed coach. She isn't going to and doesn't have to change. The players will change and adapt or move on. She is probably a completely different person in practice and behind closed doors.

From some of Braun's comments leading up to this season, these players have wanted someone to hold them accountable.

A red face is genetics and not a sign of a health problem. 21 turnovers would give most coaches a red face.

Regarding the lower attendance, it was a Wednesday night game against Long Island University. And no I am not looking forward to attending more of these kinds of games early this season most people will not go to.

Let's see what attendance looks like once they are past the early schedule -- some will hit the snooze button -- and then playing Big Ten opponents.

Like the men's game on Monday night, there were some real bright spots where the ball movement was crisp and the shot selection was spot on. However, there were also some very teachable moments, like turnovers and press breaks, that will be good to watch on film and correct in practice. As a coach, it is almost an ideal scenario - a comfortable W with plenty of opportunities to improve.

I think the U nailed this hire and Coach P is going to do some great things with this program. The nucleus of talent at the freshman and sophomore levels are very encouraging.

Game #1 and people are already questioning the coach's passion and fire during games. From everything I've read or heard, she is a detailed coach. She isn't going to and doesn't have to change. The players will change and adapt or move on. She is probably a completely different person in practice and behind closed doors.

From some of Braun's comments leading up to this season, these players have wanted someone to hold them accountable.

A red face is genetics and not a sign of a health problem. 21 turnovers would give most coaches a red face.
My intent wasn't to question coaches passion or fire or love for the game. Just that enjoy the ride and take time for yourself to enjoy the moment when things are going well. She looked a little pissed at times on the sideline. AND that is entirely OK! That is part of teaching, I get that a kick in the butt is part, sometimes needed with a pat on the back. You take the good with the bad and celebrate the success and emotions as much as the negative, at least I try to, and convey that. It was game #1, 21 turnovers yeah that is a lot, far too many for sure. I noticed a lot of change, organization, more depth and players playing, and a lot of positives I tried to highlight for the Gophers. It takes time to gel and create cohesiveness. The mens game showed this too. I like coach P already, she seems very studious, insightful, and I liked her post game comments after the game on the radio driving home from Williams arena, for context. Her thoughts and comments conveyed to JG, especially about recovery and taking care of your self, give me great confidence the right coach is in place for the Gophers. We have a lot to look forward to as Gopher WB fans. They will win some unexpected games because of attention to detail and the little things, at least I think so. Coach P is learning this team to so she gets this going forward too.

Last edited:

First game we're trying to know the team better.

Meanwhile, Mara Braun's 25 points and 6 assists is a big story from the game. Boom!

Mara Braun. We will hear more from her this season.

FB_IMG_1699574265071.jpg

Regarding the lower attendance, it was a Wednesday night game against Long Island University. And no I am not looking forward to attending more of these kinds of games early this season most people will not go to.

Let's see what attendance looks like once they are past the early schedule -- some will hit the snooze button -- and then playing Big Ten opponents.
I have season tickets and I thought attendance was very typical and student turnout was much better than normal. Dawn went to the student section and band after the game to show gratitude. There were quite a few farm animals in attendance and that isn’t typical at women’s games.

My "read the tea leaves" opinion on Holloway has moved from "unknown, probably pessimistic" to "favorable."

She came in and, for lack of a better term, was hopping around (bad term) -- she's real athletic! -- without much result, perhaps the play not at her. And then she seemed to will herself to translate that into putting up double-digit points (11) and rebounds (6) in a game where she's coming off the bench late as the 3rd line.

Wearing a knee brace.

I don't know, by the way, except the unknown Holloway is probably something good unfolding.

Halloway was a rebounding machine in high school but really wasn't a big scorer until her senior year. She gets the rebounds because of her athleticism...she's very thin but that woman has hops. Remember she was a 2x state champion in the high jump and also competed at state in a couple of running events. She doesn't muscle her way into rebounds, she just jumps over everyone else.

Halloway was a rebounding machine in high school but really wasn't a big scorer until her senior year. She gets the rebounds because of her athleticism...she's very thin
I would describe her as having ~ideal build for a multisport athlete. She is well muscled and average frame so a very athletic build. There are athletes that are much smaller frame, less muscle and thinner bones. i.e. see Chet Holmgren

but that woman has hops. Remember she was a 2x state champion in the high jump and also competed at state in a couple of running events.
Here are her state track meet accolades last year:

High Jump: 2x State Champ 🏆
4x200m Relay: 3rd 🥉
4x400m Relay: 3rd 🥉
Shot Put: 9th, 11.48m (37-2 1/4) (Personal Record)

She doesn't muscle her way into rebounds, she just jumps over everyone else.

I have season tickets and I thought attendance was very typical and student turnout was much better than normal. Dawn went to the student section and band after the game to show gratitude. There were quite a few farm animals in attendance and that isn’t typical at women’s games.
The basketball staff had the Barnyard folks at a practice to "encourage" them to attend women's games. Groups have reached out before for better student attendance, without much success. Hopefully, this is the start of a good trend!

3rd quarter blues once again - outscored by 10.
Can't really call it the 3rd quarter blues when all 12 played and the non-starters had 80 minutes of playing time. They are trying to evaluate and teach during the preseason, especially when they have already put away a weaker opponent.

Can't really call it the 3rd quarter blues when all 12 played and the non-starters had 80 minutes of playing time. They are trying to evaluate and teach during the preseason, especially when they have already put away a weaker opponent.

This is what I was hoping. That with a insurmountable lead Coach P could play with different lineup mixes, plays and strategies in the second half without any risk. So some of the stats won't be as sexy, but the team might have learned a few things.

Top Bottom