Gable Steveson Interested in playing Gopher Football

D end would be the best bet.
A guy with his measurements normally gets run over at DE. He'll be up against guys 40# bigger who have played football their entire lives.

This is a gimmick, pure and simple.

A guy with his measurements normally gets run over at DE. He'll be up against guys 40# bigger who have played football their entire lives.

This is a gimmick, pure and simple.
He’s be up to 285 before he ever stepped onto the field ..,

He’s be up to 285 before he ever stepped onto the field ..,
It's not impossible to play DE at 6'1", but it's highly unusual. The leverage issue going against guys 4-5 inches taller is real. And one of his advantages as a wrestler was his quickness. Adding that extra weight reduces that asset.

I respect the guy's efforts to market himself, but this is still a stunt.

It's not impossible to play DE at 6'1", but it's highly unusual. The leverage issue going against guys 4-5 inches taller is real. And one of his advantages as a wrestler was his quickness. Adding that extra weight reduces that asset.

I respect the guy's efforts to market himself, but this is still a stunt.
Agree that it is pretty crazy to think of a 6’1” player having success at DE; run contain would be a joke. But an explosive, extremely athletic player at 6’1” 285 playing 3 technique DT is not crazy and has some precedents. Coached right, that kind of DT could live in the opponent’s backfield. John Randle had a pretty solid career for the Vikes at 6’1” 285 because he was so explosive and athletic for that size.

*cough*Aaron Donald*cough*
*cough*NFL defensive player of the year 2017, 2018, 2020*cough*
I stopped following the NFL about 5 years ago (except to watch former Gophers). So hadn’t been aware of Donald’s dominance … at 6’1” 284. There are others, I am sure. Steveson clearly has sufficient size, explosiveness and athleticism for a 3 technique DT. Whether he gives football a try and/or makes his debut on the Gophers, who knows.

*cough*Aaron Donald*cough*
*cough*NFL defensive player of the year 2017, 2018, 2020*cough*
There's a thing called "exception to the rule". And I haven't researched it, but I imagine AMcD has played football most of his life.

I just gotta give GS credit, someone has given him crazy good marketing advice.

Update:

Can Gabe play WR?
Can he catch passes as TE? Or a fullback? Actually (as my beer drinking mind is actively working), that would be interesting. Him as a fullback. I know he is not experienced in any particular position, but that would be cool. Him destroying edge rushers. F.U. AJ Epenesa - yes I know he's gone, but I still hate Iowa!!!!!

Can he catch passes as TE? Or a fullback? Actually (as my beer drinking mind is actively working), that would be interesting. Him as a fullback. I know he is not experienced in any particular position, but that would be cool. Him destroying edge rushers. F.U. AJ Epenesa - yes I know he's gone, but I still hate Iowa!!!!!

When you say stuff like that, it just makes Iowa fans think they're living rent free.

But I agree. We need some sort of revenge cause that was brutal to watch.

WWE. with a signed contract guessing that means he's no longer eligible for football or wrestling at the U

WWE. with a signed contract guessing that means he's no longer eligible for football or wrestling at the U
Well maybe not eligible but really ... just can't be in WWE and CFB / school at the same time ... just due to time commitments.

He walked right past me during halftime of the game. Played well with fans who stopped to say hi and congratulate him on the gold medal.

Top Bottom