Future Non-Conference Opponents

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
When it comes to scheduling these games against whatever teams what sort of decision is made into it? For example would the U ever go for a Home and Home against say Hawaii? How sweet of a getaway would that be to start the year off? (I am in full support of this match up) Or a Home and Home against the likes of Stanford, or Utah? The B1G, ACC and Pac 12 did sign that alliance earlier this year might that led to more potential game against teams in those conferences moving forward leaving behind say the Middle Tennessee States of the world? We do have a few interesting non-conference games in the years a head but I think we could do better in general.

Here's a look at our future Non Con Schedules

2022 - New Mexico State Aggies, Western Illinois Leather Necks, Colorado Buffalos
2023 - Eastern Michigan Eagles, @ North Carolina Tar Heels, Louisianan Ragin' Caguns
2024 - North Carolina Tar Heels, Rhode Island Rams, Nevada Wolf Pack
2025 - Buffalo Bills, Bowling Green Falcons, @BYU
2026 - Eastern Illinois Panthers, Mississippi State Bulldogs, Akron Zips
2027 - San Jose State Spartans, @ Mississippi State Bulldogs
2028 - North Dakota Fighting Hawks, California Golden Bears
2029 - @ California Golden Bears
2030 - North Dakota Fighting Hawks

2025 - …Bowling Green Falcons…

cant-wait-football.gif

Directional Illinois teams are a waste of a date. Prefer no Dakota teams as long as they are in a lower division. There are some 130 Power 5 and Group of 5 schools, not sure why the Gophers can’t find a date from that group. And if having to schedule one of these lower division schools, maybe do it late in the season like the SEC teams seem to do. It’s like a pseudo- bye week. If I’m going to skip a date due to less enjoyable weather then make it a throwaway game.

NC could be a huge game as they are trending up with status and rankings. They have two top 15 and a top 10 recruiting class past few years. MS will also be good games, I wish we scheduled more of these games win or lose.

I would like to see the lost BYU game at the Bank get back on the schedule

2023 schedule with a bowl eligible MAC team, a trip to North Carolina and a top-25 Louisiana team is a sneaky tough slate.

I'm really hoping to make the trip to Starkville in 2027. Fun that we're getting an SEC team to actually travel.

California Golden Bears does absolutely nothing for me. I mean, I'm glad it's a P5 team but personally I think I'd prefer to play any other Pac12 team.

When it comes to scheduling these games against whatever teams what sort of decision is made into it? For example would the U ever go for a Home and Home against say Hawaii? How sweet of a getaway would that be to start the year off? (I am in full support of this match up) Or a Home and Home against the likes of Stanford, or Utah? The B1G, ACC and Pac 12 did sign that alliance earlier this year might that led to more potential game against teams in those conferences moving forward leaving behind say the Middle Tennessee States of the world? We do have a few interesting non-conference games in the years a head but I think we could do better in general.

Here's a look at our future Non Con Schedules

2022 - New Mexico State Aggies, Western Illinois Leather Necks, Colorado Buffalos
2023 - Eastern Michigan Eagles, @ North Carolina Tar Heels, Louisianan Ragin' Caguns
2024 - North Carolina Tar Heels, Rhode Island Rams, Nevada Wolf Pack
2025 - Buffalo Bills, Bowling Green Falcons, @BYU
2026 - Eastern Illinois Panthers, Mississippi State Bulldogs, Akron Zips
2027 - San Jose State Spartans, @ Mississippi State Bulldogs
2028 - North Dakota Fighting Hawks, California Golden Bears
2029 - @ California Golden Bears
2030 - North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Can't wait for those Chapel Hill and Starkville road trips. Chapel Hill is supposed to be great and, honestly, when else am I gonna go to Mississippi? Will potentially consider the BYU game as well, especially if they are still a Top 25 program in a few years.

Did the Cal trip in 2006, but would be hard not to visit the Bay again for a game.

Anyone who was a fan in the Wacker/Mason years can appreciate how great it is to have a yearly P5 non-con opponent on our schedule now and going forward!

Directional Illinois teams are a waste of a date. Prefer no Dakota teams as long as they are in a lower division. There are some 130 Power 5 and Group of 5 schools, not sure why the Gophers can’t find a date from that group. And if having to schedule one of these lower division schools, maybe do it late in the season like the SEC teams seem to do. It’s like a pseudo- bye week. If I’m going to skip a date due to less enjoyable weather then make it a throwaway game.
To the scheduling a cream puff late, pretty sure the SEC schedule allows for that while the BIG doesn’t.

2023 schedule with a bowl eligible MAC team, a trip to North Carolina and a top-25 Louisiana team is a sneaky tough slate.

I'm really hoping to make the trip to Starkville in 2027. Fun that we're getting an SEC team to actually travel.

California Golden Bears does absolutely nothing for me. I mean, I'm glad it's a P5 team but personally I think I'd prefer to play any other Pac12 team.

But to be fair, hard to say what kind of shape Cal's program might be in '28 and '29. North Carolina wasn't looking nearly as formidable when we added them to the schedule a few years back.

I think the Alliance will start to impact the scheduling more and more. Next change will need to be to drop back down to 8 conference games in B1G.

I don't see any upside to MN (or WI, IA, or NE) playing MAC opponents.
The upside is the conference wracks up wins.
Same reason the SEC all plays one fewer conference game and one more cupcake

For example would the U ever go for a Home and Home against say Hawaii?
It wasn’t a home and home, but Minnesota did go play at Hawaii in 1997 under Mason and lost 17-3.

I’m not for playing any more MAC schools. I’d like to stick to power 5 or some SELECT group of 5 teams. What we have currently, Colorado, North Carolina and Mississippi State coming up I think are great. Wouldn’t mind a home and home with Colorado State or Wyoming. I think Mizzou would be a nice add and given our small pipeline to Georgia, I’d love to get Georgia Tech on the schedule with a home and home. I’m not thrilled about playing northeast schools out of the ACC (Pitt, Syracuse or BC) but any SEC or Pac12 foe would be great in a home and home.

I don't know much about New Mexico State's stadium or game atmosphere - thinking warm mountains though. Does anyone know if it's worth the trip?

The upside is the conference wracks up wins.
Same reason the SEC all plays one fewer conference game and one more cupcake
This isn’t like the SEC playing The Citadel.
The MAC has relatively good teams considering they have zero recognition outside of Ohio / Michigan.

You can play much worse opponents that are much higher profile. It makes no sense.

Can't wait for those Chapel Hill and Starkville road trips. Chapel Hill is supposed to be great and, honestly, when else am I gonna go to Mississippi? Will potentially consider the BYU game as well, especially if they are still a Top 25 program in a few years.

Did the Cal trip in 2006, but would be hard not to visit the Bay again for a game.

Anyone who was a fan in the Wacker/Mason years can appreciate how great it is to have a yearly P5 non-con opponent on our schedule now and going forward!
Yes, loved the Cal trip in 2006! Did not enjoy the wooden, splintery benches we were compelled to occupy but it was great fun to be in a lively group of Gopher nuts. Had no answers for Marshawn Lynch or Desean Jackson that day.

They should replace North Dakota with someone else. Those games don't do anything to build the program, are nothing burgers for recruiting or eye's on TV's.
Agree. Bring in scrub teams from recruiting rich areas like Florida and Texas. At least the program gets some extra exposure there.

Top Bottom