Funny Thing Happened to Me at the Game

jmag21

Reaction score
So I thought the refs were disgraceful all game. Just horrible. I mean, we work the ball inside that much, and we get 8 free throws? Just an embarrassment. So, I was letting the refs know that in an... energetic fashion, let's say. I believe I said "that was a travel," "you've been missing fouls all game," "you stink at officiating," and, yes, I may have dropped the Donaghy bomb by questioning one ref, "Hey, I thought the State of Michigan was broke, how could they have afforded to pay you?" That last one really set him off. He came over, absolutely livid (this was the white ref). He pointed at me, jaw clenched, and started yelling, "hey, listen. One more word out of you, ONE MORE WORD, and you're OUTTA here!" I looked up at the clock and said, "how much time is left?" That made him even angrier, "listen smart guy, one more word, and I'm getting the security." At that point, I felt I'd made my point, so I just said "whatever, dude," and sat back. The people around me were encouraging me to say one more word, because they thought it'd be funny if it got tossed, but I didn't want to get barred from Williams or anything, so I didn't finish it out. Probably not my finest moment, but I was very, very upset.

If I were in your shoes, if he pushed me to utter one more word, I'd have stuck my fist in the air and shouted "FREEEEEEEEEEDOM"

If Id been sitting next to you...I would have picked up the torch...I don't mind missed calls for the most part...it always evens out...but the ones these guys missed and really all year at the barn...Rodney got hit on BOTH arms and no call...and then on the rebound got punched in the face...how about the guy throwing 5 elbows on a rebound...if Colt had done that he would have been handcuffed and arrested for assault...MI gets no call...the travel, the 8 or 9 times we went up for shots and got bodied under the rim...I could go on...that said...we lost the game on our own accord...but man, we don't need any help losing!

So you like to announce you cowardness, I suppose you are in favor of participation medals too. Way to go 3/4ths of the way!

College basketball refs get paid a lot of money - the top ones get between $1,000 and $2,500 per game. You paid to be there and root for your team, they're paid to do their job (which doesn't include watching or listening to fans) - they should have no authority to throw fans out of the game for heckling them.

So I thought the refs were disgraceful all game. Just horrible. I mean, we work the ball inside that much, and we get 8 free throws? Just an embarrassment. So, I was letting the refs know that in an... energetic fashion, let's say. I believe I said "that was a travel," "you've been missing fouls all game," "you stink at officiating," and, yes, I may have dropped the Donaghy bomb by questioning one ref, "Hey, I thought the State of Michigan was broke, how could they have afforded to pay you?" That last one really set him off. He came over, absolutely livid (this was the white ref). He pointed at me, jaw clenched, and started yelling, "hey, listen. One more word out of you, ONE MORE WORD, and you're OUTTA here!" I looked up at the clock and said, "how much time is left?" That made him even angrier, "listen smart guy, one more word, and I'm getting the security." At that point, I felt I'd made my point, so I just said "whatever, dude," and sat back. The people around me were encouraging me to say one more word, because they thought it'd be funny if it got tossed, but I didn't want to get barred from Williams or anything, so I didn't finish it out. Probably not my finest moment, but I was very, very upset.

Two things....

1) Good for you! Let those refs know how bad they blow & If I was next to you I would have stood up & said "How about I say one more word you crooked bastard!?"

2) It's embarrassing that 45 days ago this type of refereeing would have been favorable to us as we were a bully of a team & other teams were complaining how much we got away with. Now, with Nolen out & Colt not playing much we've gone booby-soft & are bitching about not getting foul calls under the basket in a physical Big-10, home game. This is precisely the type of game Trevor & Colt should have elbowed those punks from Michigan in the teeth & said "This is how we play at the U!" & won by brute force. I'm more angry that we couldn't step up our physicality & dominate with a favorable situation than I am at the refs for letting them play.

What a whiny b*tch (the ref, not you)

I might have said "One More Word" and see what happened?

I might have said "One More Word" and see what happened?

Reminiscent of when I was a kid and my Dad told me: "One more peep out of you, and I'll give you blisters on you a$$." To which I replied: "Peep". I only did that once. :)

I thought they missed a lot of fouls on both sides all game. They allowed it to be very physical from the start and let some very obvious ones go towards the end that really hurt us.

Re: Blisters

Reminiscent of when I was a kid and my Dad told me: "One more peep out of you, and I'll give you blisters on you a$$." To which I replied: "Peep". I only did that once. :)

That certainly explains some things.

I had a similar exchange with a ref that blew a call at my son's game several years ago. The Ref blew multiple calls and on the latest and most flagrant I said "nice call ref" in a sarcastic fashion as he was following the play down the floor in front of me. He blew his whistle, stopped the game and got in my face with the same message you received. "One more word out of you and I'll throw you out of here". Note that I did not use any foul language in any of my messages. Not wanting to embarrass my son any further, I simply said "Ok" to the ref as he challanged me. At that point he then said, "OK, that's it you are out of here" and he kicked me out of the gym for replying OK. I'm glad to hear you didn't end up with the same result.

I had a similar exchange with a ref that blew a call at my son's game several years ago. The Ref blew multiple calls and on the latest and most flagrant I said "nice call ref" in a sarcastic fashion as he was following the play down the floor in front of me. He blew his whistle, stopped the game and got in my face with the same message you received. "One more word out of you and I'll throw you out of here". Note that I did not use any foul language in any of my messages. Not wanting to embarrass my son any further, I simply said "Ok" to the ref as he challanged me. At that point he then said, "OK, that's it you are out of here" and he kicked me out of the gym for replying OK. I'm glad to hear you didn't end up with the same result.

Some refs don't ref because they love basketball ... but because they love power.

Some refs have the worst power trips of any other profession. It is unreal.

Was it Ted Valentine (the taller black ref)? He almost threw a student out BEFORE A GAME last year when he invoked Ted Valentine's pretty well-known feud with Bob Knight (I believe the quote was "hey Ted, don't screw Tubby like you screwed Bob Knight").

I First Saw B10 Refs In 1969 (My Frosh Year At Purdue)

Was it Ted Valentine (the taller black ref)? He almost threw a student out BEFORE A GAME last year when he invoked Ted Valentine's pretty well-known feud with Bob Knight (I believe the quote was "hey Ted, don't screw Tubby like you screwed Bob Knight").

They are CONSISTENTLY the worst referees in college basketball. Year after year, pathetic.

Naw, it was the White Ref. I think in retrospect, it wasn't one of my proudest moments, but I wasn't swearing at him, wasn't threatening him, I was just dissenting. Loudly. And making implications about his ties to organized crime. You know, the usual. However, I will say, it made me pretty satisfied to have him as angry with me as I was with him. I mean, he was absolutely livid. You usually don't expect the refs to listen to you.

Top Bottom