FSN: Upon Further Review: Gophers at Fresno State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Winning on the road is hard enough and Minnesota shot itself in the foot plenty of times Saturday to exit with a loss at Fresno State.

But in the end the Gophers were able to walk away with a 38-35 victory in two overtimes, thanks in part to a rare Bulldogs miscue.

Minnesota went tooth and nail with Fresno State, but turnovers leading to points and penalties extending drives – which led to more points – seemed to be its undoing. Yet, Minnesota was able to pull a gopher out of its hat at the end and escape with a win.

Quarterback Tyler Morgan had three of Minnesota’s five fumbles, losing one, but threw for 234 yards and two touchdowns, including the tying score with 41 seconds remaining. He also rushed for a TD to help send the game into a second OT.

But it was Minnesota’s defense which came up with the big play at the end as Fresno State went for the kill shot – trying for a touchdown on the first play of its second OT, but the pass floating up there enough where the Gophers sealed the victory with an interception.

It was the kind of game the Gophers perhaps shouldn’t have won. But it’s also the kind of games good teams can overcome.

https://www.foxsports.com/north/gal...o-state-antoine-winfield-tanner-morgan-090819

Go Gophers!!

Fair take, in my opinion. 3rd down penalties to extend FSU drives and turnovers were the story from the Gopher perspective. Take just the 3rd down penalties away and the game is probably two touchdowns in favor of the Gophers. To overcome all that and the fumbles was difficult and was the reason the game was 2OT and not over in regulation, but the Gophers pulled out the win.

Fair take, in my opinion. 3rd down penalties to extend FSU drives and turnovers were the story from the Gopher perspective. Take just the 3rd down penalties away and the game is probably two touchdowns in favor of the Gophers. To overcome all that and the fumbles was difficult and was the reason the game was 2OT and not over in regulation, but the Gophers pulled out the win.

I agree, it was a fair take.

I also agree that — without the mistakes — the Gophers win that game easily. There were plenty of times where it felt like Minnesota was dominating. Then they'd have a penalty or a muffed punt at exactly the worst possible time.

They kept ballin' and won the game.

Gopher quarterback Tucker Carlson (I think that's his name...).

Top Bottom