FSN: Gray experiment has yielded mixed results

A pretty poor article. It begins with erroneous information.

Gray, the Gophers' junior quarterback, is in his first season as the team's starter after playing two seasons at wide receiver.

His premise that starting Gray this year at QB is an experiment is just wrong. Gray was recruited as a QB and rotated at QB in 2009 as a freshman. He was only converted to a WR for one season, 2010. If anything last year was an experiment as he was removed from his original position.

The rest of the article is a bunch of nothing. Mason offers up the double-reverse flea flicker as evidence he is capable of hitting a receiver downfield. That notion is ridiculous when he's been missing wide open receivers all season out of the normal offense. I don't think a trick play changes anything. I'd like to see consistent passing from Gray out of the normal offensive playbook before making claims to his progress.

More erroneous information: it wasn't a double reverse flea flicker. It's a common misconception. What most people call a reverse is actually an end-around, and what most people call a double reverse is actually just a reverse. A true double reverse is extremely rare, as it requires three exchanges of the ball, thus taking very long to develop and having a high likelihood of an unforced fumble occurring.

One addition: a double reverse can consist of only two exchanges if the initial runner is making an outside run, such as a sweep or bootleg.

More erroneous information: it wasn't a double reverse flea flicker. It's a common misconception. What most people call a reverse is actually an end-around, and what most people call a double reverse is actually just a reverse. A true double reverse is extremely rare, as it requires three exchanges of the ball, thus taking very long to develop and having a high likelihood of an unforced fumble occurring.

Thank you! One of my true pet peeves with football announcers is when the call an end-around a reverse. I am literally screaming at my TV when that occurs.

A pretty poor article. It begins with erroneous information.

His premise that starting Gray this year at QB is an experiment is just wrong. Gray was recruited as a QB and rotated at QB in 2009 as a freshman. He was only converted to a WR for one season, 2010. If anything last year was an experiment as he was removed from his original position.

The rest of the article is a bunch of nothing. Mason offers up the double-reverse flea flicker as evidence he is capable of hitting a receiver downfield. That notion is ridiculous when he's been missing wide open receivers all season out of the normal offense. I don't think a trick play changes anything. I'd like to see consistent passing from Gray out of the normal offensive playbook before making claims to his progress.

Agreed. When I seen the title, that was the first thought that crossed my mind.

Top Bottom