FSN: Gophers freshmen WRs Donovahn Jones, Drew Wolitarsky making strides

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

"I think Donovahn's kind of starting to look at himself as being the guy," said Gophers offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover. "I think that's a great thing. There's a lot of confidence there, and that's going to keep pushing him."

As the season has worn on and both players have garnered more playing time, neither has looked like a true freshman anymore.

"I don't think you ever imagine young guys having to be put in that situation," said Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill. "(Engel) was a critical loss for us. He was a big playmaker. So these guys, they've got to step up -- and they have. They've gotten better, and that'll make us better for the future."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...onovahn-Jones-Drew?blockID=973945&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

DW

I posted earlier this yr after seeing DW play that the PAC12 is built on guys like him. IDK how we got him.

These two make the McDonald/Harbison busts easier to swallow. Really excited for the future of our passing game, especially when you add in our embarrassment of riches at TE.

These two remind me of the MSU type receivers Cunningham, White, Martinesque from their run with Cousins at the helm.
By the time they are upperclassmen they'll be top tier B1G receivers. Brick by brick.

I'll say this: If we can hold onto Jeff Jones and add another skill player(Edwards, Carter, Streveler at WR?, recruit Holland or another) who are capable of contributing right away we'll have a really potent offense next year, and moreso going forward.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress they've made in the Bowl game. I suspect we'll get a good preview of next year.

That's a strange way to speak of two players still on the Gopher roster.

How so? They've both been huge busts. I still have hope Harbison will turn it around and become a big contributor at some point. McDonald will never wear a Gopher uniform again. He's the definition of a bust.

How so? They've both been huge busts. I still have hope Harbison will turn it around and become a big contributor at some point. McDonald will never wear a Gopher uniform again. He's the definition of a bust.

I'm glad the coaching staff doesn't think like you and give up on players like Hageman, Michael Carter, and so on.

I'm glad the coaching staff doesn't think like you and give up on players like Hageman, Michael Carter, and so on.

Agree with you about not giving up on players, but is McDonald still around the team? I thought I read somewhere that he moved to Florida or something? Maybe I've got myself mixed up with someone else. I'm still hoping Harbison can make an impact next year.

These two make the McDonald/Harbison busts easier to swallow. Really excited for the future of our passing game, especially when you add in our embarrassment of riches at TE.

Can't really say Harbison is a 'bust'. He is just a Freshman. Lots of time to contribute still.

Agree with you about not giving up on players, but is McDonald still around the team? I thought I read somewhere that he moved to Florida or something? Maybe I've got myself mixed up with someone else. I'm still hoping Harbison can make an impact next year.

There are a lot of rumors going back and forth about McDonald, but the fact remains that his name is still listed on the roster. They don't do that for players they've given up on. Players who leave/are kicked off the team are removed from the roster very quickly.

I also prefer to not sling mud about players who have chosen to wear the Gopher uniform, but perhaps that's just me. Discuss them on their merits (or lack thereof), that's fair game, but slinging mud, character assassination and name-calling seem to be pretty classless to me, especially when discussing current Gopher players.

There are a lot of rumors going back and forth about McDonald, but the fact remains that his name is still listed on the roster. They don't do that for players they've given up on. Players who leave/are kicked off the team are removed from the roster very quickly.

I also prefer to not sling mud about players who have chosen to wear the Gopher uniform, but perhaps that's just me. Discuss them on their merits (or lack thereof), that's fair game, but slinging mud, character assassination and name-calling seem to be pretty classless to me, especially when discussing current Gopher players.

We'll remember that next time you name call or impune one's integrity or merit!:)

Who's slinging mud, calling names, or assassinating anyone's character? People call them busts because they haven't produced anything on the field. It's based strictly on performance, nothing wrong with that at all. And I said I still have hope for Harbison. McDonald is a whole other story.

Who's slinging mud, calling names, or assassinating anyone's character? People call them busts because they haven't produced anything on the field. It's based strictly on performance, nothing wrong with that at all. And I said I still have hope for Harbison. McDonald is a whole other story.

Calling them busts is calling names. People are slinging mud because no one here has any idea what's going on with them and calling them busts because they haven't been on the field. It's not based on performance, because they haven't been on the field.

Jones is looking good, but all I've seen Wolitarsky do is drop passes that hit him in the hands. He's only a feshman, and I hope he develops, but I just haven't seen any of the 'strides' that are implied in the article.

Calling them busts is calling names. People are slinging mud because no one here has any idea what's going on with them and calling them busts because they haven't been on the field. It's not based on performance, because they haven't been on the field.

First: "bust" is not slinging mud. It is the same thing as saying someone is a disappointment, underachiever, etc. Slinging mud is calling them names purely for the sake of putting the person down. Bust, disappointment, underachiever, etc. is in reference to their on field performance (or lack there of).

Second: They are busts so far, period. They were both among our highest rated WRs in recent memory and both have had to take time away from the team. Neither have made significant contributions to date. The fact our true freshmen are now ahead of them and excelling is further proof that they are busts. I would love for them to prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath, especially McDonald who is probably the 2nd biggest disappointment I've seen behind Royce White.

So they're busts.

So they're busts.

I'm withholding judgment until I get the full story. Crazy concept, I know.

You guys will all be so proud of yourselves if and when these guys are on the field and contributing each of the next three seasons. You know, because they're both effectively redshirt freshmen. You'll be able to look back and say, "Boy, I sure am glad I was patient with these 19-year-olds and didn't write them off because I had zero clue what was actually going on with them."

You'll be able to look back and say, "Boy, I sure am glad I was patient with these 19-year-olds and didn't write them off because I had zero clue what was actually going on with them."

It's all I think about.

And why hasn't Harbison seen the field? Hasn't he been suspended for more games this year than he has catches? To this point they are both busts, period. And for the third time, I haven't given up on Harbison yet.

Two of the highest regarded wide receivers we have had here in a while and neither one has really seen the field, and they've been here two years. Whether it's taking a leave from the team for personal reasons, getting suspended for the full year, or sitting multiple games this year when perfectly healthy, we've gotten nothing from both of them. That's the definition of a bust.

Jones is looking good, but all I've seen Wolitarsky do is drop passes that hit him in the hands. He's only a feshman, and I hope he develops, but I just haven't seen any of the 'strides' that are implied in the article.

Drew Dubs (Wolitarsky) had a nice game against MSU as did D Jones.

Zero to 1 catch a game until MSU then 3 catches. He has said that, he finally put it all together in the MSU game, that makes the bowl game interesting. Limegrover has said that, 'Jones finally thinks that he's the man' . It'll be real interesting where the 15 practice take the passing game.

An M man has to workout everyday and toe the line and that is regardless of playing time. heck, it's even tougher to stay devoted when you are on the s list. ain't no quitters/busts on this roster.

And why hasn't Harbison seen the field? Hasn't he been suspended for more games this year than he has catches? To this point they are both busts, period. And for the third time, I haven't given up on Harbison yet.

Two of the highest regarded wide receivers we have had here in a while and neither one has really seen the field, and they've been here two years. Whether it's taking a leave from the team for personal reasons, getting suspended for the full year, or sitting multiple games this year when perfectly healthy, we've gotten nothing from both of them. That's the definition of a bust.

you would think Harbeson hasn't had an ACL tear or anything like that from reading your post, he has and is still very young, and he got a medical redshirt out of it i think which is nice

And why hasn't Harbison seen the field? Hasn't he been suspended for more games this year than he has catches? To this point they are both busts, period. And for the third time, I haven't given up on Harbison yet. Two of the highest regarded wide receivers we have had here in a while and neither one has really seen the field, and they've been here two years. Whether it's taking a leave from the team for personal reasons, getting suspended for the full year, or sitting multiple games this year when perfectly healthy, we've gotten nothing from both of them. That's the definition of a bust.

You say they are both busts, period, yet you haven't given up on Harbison yet. I'm curious, what is your definition of bust?

For all of you who are struggling as to what a "bust" it is this string.;)

you would think Harbeson hasn't had an ACL tear or anything like that from reading your post, he has and is still very young, and he got a medical redshirt out of it i think which is nice

Thank you. This is the thing people forget about Harbison. While players are recovering better than ever from ACL injuries, it's still a major injury. While the off the field stuff sucks and needs to get cleaned up, I expect Harbison to be much more physically ready to go next season. Writing him off is a mistake. He obviously has talent being a highly rated recruit and our supposed best WR in fall camp last year.

Right now it's Jones and Wolitarsky are who we need to look at. Harbison and MacDonald are question marks that we can talk about all off season until there's some clarity. Right now we should be concentrating on the bowl game.

Top Bottom