From PioPress: Athan, O-line, injuries, safeties

swingman

Reaction score

UP AND DOWN KALIAKMANIS​

Backup quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis brought practice to a standstill Tuesday as head coach P.J. Fleck had a one-on-one conversation with him. On the next play, Kaliakmanis threw a roughly 25-yard dart to freshman Ike White in the corner of the end zone. Then Kaliakmanis was tagged with a penalty and had a pass over the middle broken up by safety Michael Dixon.

That’s the rollercoaster life for a second-year QB, but it’s his upside behind incumbent Tanner Morgan that went into Ciarroccaa’s decision to return to Minnesota after two years away.

“I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say that when I decided to come back here that I didn’t think about him and having an opportunity to work with him,” said Ciarrocca, who helped recruit Kaliakmanis before taking a job at Penn State in December 2019.

KEY ABSENCES​

Notable players out of Tuesday’s practice: offensive tackle JJ Guedet, cornerback Terell Smith and receiver Lemeke Brockington. They were also out for the previous open practice last week. The absence of Guedet was the most glaring with the Gophers needing to replace four starting offensive linemen from last season, including both tackles.

STARTING O-LINE​

Center John Michael Schmitz, the only returning starter up front, had injured his lower leg in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl but avoided a serious setback to be able to anchor the O-line in spring ball.

On Tuesday, the other starters appeared to be right tackle Martes Lewis, right guard Chuck Filiaga, left tackle Axel Ruschmeyer and left tackle Aireontae Ersery. Filiaga is a Michigan transfer.

The need for tackle/guard Quinn Carroll to arrive is apparent; the Edina native is finishing classes at Notre Dame and is expected to join the program in June.

‘DANGEROUS’ SAFETIES​

Jordan Howden has started 36 career games and Tyler Nubin 20; that vast experience has led to a strong chemistry at the back of the Gophers’ defense.

“I can give him a little hand signal, and he knows exactly what it means,” Nubin said last week. “I don’t have to do anything crazy, just to know he’s going to do his job always. We got that trust factor between us. It’s going to be dangerous this year.”

"Gophers tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford has ‘big vision’ – Twin Cities" https://www.twincities.com/2022/04/12/gophers-tight-end-brevyn-spann-ford-has-big-vision/amp/

I'm excited to see this defense again. I doubt anyone outside of Minnesota realized the national numbers they put up last year. Return a lot and bring in a lot. I don't know specifics, just generally thinking.

SAFETY: Return Nubin (HM AllBig) and Howden...4th and 5th year. Also Dixon, year 3, who may be used in multiple roles.Glaze year 3. Green year 2.

CORNER: Return starter Walley, return starter T Smith, year 5. Added Stapp and Bishop, who were starters at ACU and WKU. Bishop year 5, AllConference 1st team CUSA. Stapp year 4.

LB: Return 5th year SoriMarin who has started a lot of games, was HM all Big. Return 5th year Oliver, 3rd year Lindenberg who have started games. Aune year 5. Willis year 4, Finnessy year 3 all have played.

DT: Return starter Carter for year 4. Return Richter who played a lot and is year 4/5. Brought in Jefferies from Clemson (year 5). Keys year 3. Schuster and Eastern 4 star talents.

DE: Return 5th year Rush who played a lot. 3rd year Logan Redding. Brought in 5th year Surgers who played at Vandy. Striggow now year 3. Joyner year 3. Booker year 2.

Punter and snapper return.

Last edited:

Looking at those position groups, I would say that LB might be my highest area of concern.

If Oliver is healthy and plays well, that would be a big plus. But, if he's not healthy, that 2nd LB spot could be a significant issue.

Looking at those position groups, I would say that LB might be my highest area of concern.

If Oliver is healthy and plays well, that would be a big plus. But, if he's not healthy, that 2nd LB spot could be a significant issue.

He seemed quite healthy the last 4 games of last season. I think Oliver should be a big impact player this year.

He seemed quite healthy the last 4 games of last season. I think Oliver should be a big impact player this year.
At LB, hoping for a contribution from a now healthy and experienced Cody Lindenberg. Also Donald Willis has stuck around and might be a situational contributor. A bit light, but very, very quick.

Last edited:

KEY ABSENCES​

Notable players out of Tuesday’s practice: offensive tackle JJ Guedet, cornerback Terell Smith and receiver Lemeke Brockington. They were also out for the previous open practice last week.

I saw CB Terell Smith at the MSP Airport this past week. Not sure where he was headed? but he was decked out in Gopher gear, head to toe. Looked healthy... no limp or cast or anything that I noticed.

Chatted with him for a moment or two. He said things were going well. Very nice young guy.

He is listed at 6'1", and 215#... he looked every bit that size. In fact, if I had to take the over/under on his height, I would take the over. Same with his weight... he's got linebacker-sized shoulders. He's gotta be one of the larger corners in the country, including the NFL!

Hoping the best for him in 2022...

Punter and snapper return.
Nice on properly including the "he who shall not be named" long snapper.

... for those of you not in on the joke, when he introduced himself at the "new players" press conference he said my name is [deleted] and that's the last time you'll ever hear it" -- his way of saying the only time you hear a long snapper's name is when they screw up.

Lindenberg is ready.

I saw CB Terell Smith at the MSP Airport this past week. Not sure where he was headed? but he was decked out in Gopher gear, head to toe. Looked healthy... no limp or cast or anything that I noticed.

Chatted with him for a moment or two. He said things were going well. Very nice young guy.

He is listed at 6'1", and 215#... he looked every bit that size. In fact, if I had to take the over/under on his height, I would take the over. Same with his weight... he's got linebacker-sized shoulders. He's gotta be one of the larger corners in the country, including the NFL!

Hoping the best for him in 2022...
At Terrell’s size and build, and with his great speed, I always wondered why he isn’t in the Chris Williamson/Justus Harris combo CB/ LB role. A nickel back that plays like a third linebacker when needed. Physically he seems suited to the spot so well. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would love to see Lindenberg be a force. Take the place of "surprise dominant" like Gibbens did last year.
I would love to see the same, but damn, Gibbens played a WHOLE lot of football before getting to MSP. I was not shocked to see him play as well as he did.

One young LB who impressed me in last year's Spring game was Derick LeCaptain. If he is still a LB (not RB?) he may also contribute this year. Has anyone heard of him lately and what position he may play?

One young LB who impressed me in last year's Spring game was Derick LeCaptain. If he is still a LB (not RB?) he may also contribute this year. Has anyone heard of him lately and what position he may play?
He's a 2 way player. Dominant Linebacker, dominant running back. Rumor has it he's the reason Bucky entered the portal. Joking of course.

At LB, hoping for a contribution from a now healthy and experienced Cody Lindenberg. Also Donald Willis has stuck around and might be a situational contributor. A bit light, but very, very quick.
Lindenberg has the size and speed to be very, very good.

I’m actually expecting this - he played a lot as a freshman before getting hurt and I think has a Gibbens skill set, maybe even faster?!
I think he is almost certainly "faster" than Gibbens, but so much of LB perceived speed is how well they read plays and get away from blocks. Hard to tell yet how good he'll be at that side of the game.

I think he is almost certainly "faster" than Gibbens, but so much of LB perceived speed is how well they read plays and get away from blocks. Hard to tell yet how good he'll be at that side of the game.
Yeah, that was the ongoing dig against Cashman out here when he was not a starter in 2017, too slow but always seemed to be in the action where the ball went.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure MSM didn't shave half a second off his 40 time between 2020 and 2021, but he certainly seemed like a much "faster" player.

My concern is the development of the OLine. TM struggled, mightily,in the pass game with a veteran line last year.

What happens with a mostly new bunch up front?

What happens with a mostly new bunch up front?

The cupboard isn't bare... John Michael Schmitz is a strength at center. Quinn Carroll and Aireontae Ersery should have a battle at left tackle. Guard Chuck Filiaga was a 3 year letter winner at Michigan. Axel Ruschmeyer, Nathan Boe and Carter Shaw all have experience at guard as well. Tackle J.J. Guedet also has seen some action, and is “almost” up to big Dan standards, size-wise.

The cupboard isn't bare... John Michael Schmitz is a strength at center. Quinn Carroll and Aireontae Ersery should have a battle at left tackle. Guard Chuck Filiaga was a 3 year letter winner at Michigan. Axel Ruschmeyer, Nathan Boe and Carter Shaw all have experience at guard as well. Tackle J.J. Guedet also has seen some action, and is “almost” up to big Dan standards, size-wise.
Carrol is a right tackle not left tackle.

Oliver is a great talent and had shed his knee brace by year end ‘21 hope to see him as a 3 down player, and would be great if Lindenberg is ready to roll in ‘22 if healthy he should see a lot of run. OL should be solid plenty of experience and talent there Schmitz and Ersery should be plus players and the rest of the guys will be able to hold their own. The other tackle is the lone question mark, IMO.

Yeah, that was the ongoing dig against Cashman out here when he was not a starter in 2017, too slow but always seemed to be in the action where the ball went.
Cashman was fast as hell ran a 4.50 40 at the combine and always looked fast on the field even as a freshman walk on playing special teams.

Cashman was fast as hell ran a 4.50 40 at the combine and always looked fast on the field even as a freshman walk on playing special teams.
Agree, but there were many out here posting the opposite.

“I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say that when I decided to come back here that I didn’t think about him and having an opportunity to work with him,” said Ciarrocca, who helped recruit Kaliakmanis before taking a job at Penn State in December 2019.

For those wondering how good AK can be, I've literally NEVER heard a coach say, when taking a job, that he considered how good it would be to work with a BACKUP quarterback. Very excited to see him play.....

I like your optimism.

We will find out.

The new guys on the O-Line may not have started many if any games but they all played in some of them last season.

Top Bottom