From a marketing standpoint ...

Gophs

Reaction score
I think the way the U is handling the coaching hire is almost genius. Keeping silent and letting the announcement come via the social media has me checking my twitter and facebook almost every hour. I don't know how many hours I've logged on GH, but I'm actually having a little fun making and reading all the speculations. Even the local media doesn't have a clue, which I find intriguing.

Just look at MarQueis Gray's twitter account. How many more followers does he have since last week?

Of course, it all could crash if the U hires some idiot, which is very likely. But the anticipation and the build up is pure marketing genius. But honestly in the end, I'll be happy so we can all go on with our lives, and my wife will stop nagging me about putting my iPhone away.

Go Gophers!!!!!

Yeah, the hire is the key part. You keep people in suspense and the payoff is Paul Chryst? Bad news bears....

Of course, it all could crash if the U hires some idiot, which is very likely. But the anticipation and the build up is pure marketing genius. But honestly in the end, I'll be happy so we can all go on with our lives, and my wife will stop nagging me about putting my iPhone away.
This bit seems like why it isn't so smart. If Maturi hasn't lined up a guy to make the fans excited, then you could get a massive revolt.

Yeah, the hire is the key part. You keep people in suspense and the payoff is Paul Chryst? Bad news bears....

Sid would be pretty happy, but I'm sure he'd be the last to find out, it's not like he's the one constantly refreshing his twitter account...

I think the way the U is handling the coaching hire is almost genius. Keeping silent and letting the announcement come via the social media has me checking my twitter and facebook almost every hour. I don't know how many hours I've logged on GH, but I'm actually having a little fun making and reading all the speculations. Even the local media doesn't have a clue, which I find intriguing.

Just look at MarQueis Gray's twitter account. How many more followers does he have since last week?

Go Gophers!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head. If the hire isn't at least someone like Edsall, Hoke, Calhoun (The second tier guys) get ready for a S@#$ storm

Here's my question never having had experience in a search of any sort like this: How do you keep such silence? What procedures do you put in place to assure that no leaks get out? I mean, its astounding to me that in this day and age about all we know is that he spoke with Hoke. Can anyone with knowledge or experience in such a search explain the process?

Want to be conversation on Bowl announcement show

I think they are waiting so they can have they new coach be a point of conversation on the bowl selection show tonight. A big enough hire and they'll get mentioned over and over. Think if it's Edsall - every time they mentioned UConn they'd also be saying Minnesota. That being said, I've questioned if it could be Edsall. The biggest game of his career last night and he's making plans to come here the next day? Maybe...

I think they are waiting so they can have they new coach be a point of conversation on the bowl selection show tonight. A big enough hire and they'll get mentioned over and over. Think if it's Edsall - every time they mentioned UConn they'd also be saying Minnesota. That being said, I've questioned if it could be Edsall. The biggest game of his career last night and he's making plans to come here the next day? Maybe...

+1000

I hadn't thought about the bowl selection shows. The college football world will be watching tonight and will see that the Gophers hired Coach X from Y University. If it's a big splash hire, it give us immediate recognition and recruiting benefits.

It's a pretty savvy move. I'm just worried that Maturi thinks it will work if Chryst is the man.

Top Bottom