Friendly discussion

bailee88

Reaction score
The season has started pretty well and recruiting is going really well in my opinion. We have a new stadium with a new perception around gopher football, again in my opinion. Here is my question. If we go 7-5 or get a few breaks and go 8-4 have we turned a corner as a program?
Will we ever be more than a second fiddle in this town? We have so many other options biggest of which is the Vikings.

The season has started pretty well and recruiting is going really well in my opinion. We have a new stadium with a new perception around gopher football, again in my opinion. Here is my question. If we go 7-5 or get a few breaks and go 8-4 have we turned a corner as a program?
Will we ever be more than a second fiddle in this town? We have so many other options biggest of which is the Vikings.

Considering most of the "experts" had us in the bottom of the conference.... 7-5 would be great and 8-4 would be fantastic. According to the experts--6-6 would be a successful season.

I had us at 8-4, but I'm coming at it wearing gold colored glasses. I don't think 7-5 would be anything to look down at especially with our schedule. I have to think 8-4 is a program changer and gets Brew an extension.

In terms of "second fiddle"... I think the new stadium has a chance to build a much larger "Gopher's First" fan base than exists today. In the Dome, despite the band and cheerleaders overall it was like having a direct competition for the SAME sports dollars. Sort of like the Jets and Giants in a much smaller town.

Prior to that the Gophers played on campus, but the stadium was tired and falling apart.

Now... lots of Minnesotans are discovering what most Gopher Holers, and fans of college football everywhere else has known for a long time... a big time college football environment can stand on its own. I graduated elsewhere. I didn't attend the UofM. But, if I were a casual fan and an alum, I would love the opportunity to spark those memories several times each fall on campus. That could never happen at the dome. The entire production... game, cheerleaders, band, etc. has an entirely different (very appealing) feel to it now. Tailgating is in its infancy and everyone hasn't found their favorite gameday activities yet. It will only grow.

In terms of the team... I think 7-5 is a step forward and 8-4 would be fantastic considering the schedule and the preseason predictions for the Gophers. That would be two nice steps forward in as many years. I'd take it.

In terms of "second fiddle"... I think the new stadium has a chance to build a much larger "Gopher's First" fan base than exists today. In the Dome, despite the band and cheerleaders overall it was like having a direct competition for the SAME sports dollars. Sort of like the Jets and Giants in a much smaller town.

Prior to that the Gophers played on campus, but the stadium was tired and falling apart.

Now... lots of Minnesotans are discovering what most Gopher Holers, and fans of college football everywhere else has known for a long time... a big time college football environment can stand on its own. I graduated elsewhere. I didn't attend the UofM. But, if I were a casual fan and an alum, I would love the opportunity to spark those memories several times each fall on campus. That could never happen at the dome. The entire production... game, cheerleaders, band, etc. has an entirely different (very appealing) feel to it now. Tailgating is in its infancy and everyone hasn't found their favorite gameday activities yet. It will only grow.

In terms of the team... I think 7-5 is a step forward and 8-4 would be fantastic considering the schedule and the preseason predictions for the Gophers. That would be two nice steps forward in as many years. I'd take it.

Where did you graduate schnauzer?

Agreed!
Would anyone argue that Gopher hockey is second fiddle to the Wild? Would anyone argue that Gopher hoops are second fiddle to the T-wolves (ugh)?

No they wouldn't (or shouldn't). Each has its own distinct fan base but I far more often hear people say how they'd rather go to a Gopher game than a Wild/T-Wolves game any day of the week than vice versa.

The reason? Atmosphere. We now have that differentiator with football.

That doesn't mean the Vikes won't have their loyal following of course, or that some people won't follow both teams, but it does mean Gopher football will continue to build a loyal following distinct from that of other sports teams in town.

Top Bottom