Freeman

Excited to see some improvement in him. He does catch the ball. I remember that being an issue in the past for the center position. He has three more years after this year since it doesn't count. Hope we get him as much time as possible. I suspect Curry is at his potential so we should see alot more of Freeman as his defense improves.

I thought this thread was going to say Freeman is transferring.

Excited to see some improvement in him. He does catch the ball. I remember that being an issue in the past for the center position. He has three more years after this year since it doesn't count. Hope we get him as much time as possible. I suspect Curry is at his potential so we should see alot more of Freeman as his defense improves.
As has been covered on the FB board, it's not this simple. In theory, yes, he has 3 more years. However, scholarship totals are not likely to expand after 2021/2022 season. Considering the level of player he is, I would be shocked if he's here after his original 4 year clock (being he didn't redshirt) is up. Maybe he transfers down a level or to a MAC level school after his clock is up here and gets a scholarship there to utilize his "extra year".

As has been covered on the FB board, it's not this simple. In theory, yes, he has 3 more years. However, scholarship totals are not likely to expand after 2021/2022 season. Considering the level of player he is, I would be shocked if he's here after his original 4 year clock (being he didn't redshirt) is up. Maybe he transfers down a level or to a MAC level school after his clock is up here and gets a scholarship there to utilize his "extra year".
And maybe he blows up and he is the Gophers’ version of Garza. We have no idea what he’s capable of based on his limited opportunities. It’s not that uncommon for players around the country to dramatically improve. First step is playing time.

I’m glad you can project his talent level three years out.
If he transfers I guess we can get super excited about the next recruit that comes in and doesn’t perform fast enough so we can shoo him out the door too.

I’m glad you can project his talent level three years out.
If he transfers I guess we can get super excited about the next recruit that comes in and doesn’t perform fast enough so we can shoo him out the door too.
Mee-yow! Nobody is "shooing" him out the door. I would love to see Freeman succeed. But the situation as laid out that I originally replied to isn't as easy as some are making it out to be. In 2020-21, they have 13 scholarships. In 2021-22, they can have up to 15, as they have currently have 2 scholarship seniors (Curry and Johnson) that could return under the Covid exemption for an additional year. That is assuming Coyle allows them to carry more than the required 13, which is probably a safe assumption being Fleck has already said he's been given clearance to go over his 85 scholarship limit. However, in 22-23 and beyond, everything that has been reported indicates that the scholarship limit will go back down to 13. So if everybody on the roster that isn't currently a senior stays an extra year, they would have zero open scholarships to incoming freshman in 2022. Thus, it isn't as easy as saying that if a player wants to stay and play on scholarship they'll be given that extra year. The U will have fulfilled it's obligation when he completes his 4th year in 22-23, and just like everywhere else, it is highly likely only some players will be "encouraged" to stay an extra year on scholarship. The U will not be required to give him a fifth year on scholarship. Look at the non-revenue sport seniors and what happened in the spring- they were told they could stay for their additional year if they paid their own way, but not on scholarship. Additionally, by all accounts it sounds like the "one time transfer rule" by the NCAA is a given, it's just when it finally gets passed. That makes transferring much easier, independent of his specific situation. Then, add in the next layer of what are the chances that Pitino is here in 23-24 when Freeman's fifth year is? If there is a different coach here, it is likely he'll want to get "his" recruits in, which happens pretty much every time there is a coaching change anywhere.

If Freeman turns into the range of player where he is a solid starter, but not good enough to go pro somewhere, sure, he could be here in 23-24. But considering all the variables, most importantly considering his scholarship is not guaranteed that year, it is likely he is not here for a fifth year. Besides, look at the history of the Pitino tenure. Look at all the players that have either transferred in or transferred out- what is the percentage of players that come here as freshman and stay for 4/5 years? It has to be way less than 50%.

Just took Curry's minutes

That is all

Would you care to revise your post?

I'm bustin' on you - I want to see more Freeman as well.

I think Curry got burnt and whole club for that matter due to the schedule. Pitino gave them thee days off after Iowa and I think that did wonders - much more energy.

Curry is better than Freeman this year coming off of 2 knee injuries and Curry will only be better next year. Freeman won’t be ahead of Curry next year IMO.

Curry had a great game today when Robbins had to sit 4 minutes in, although RP had to call a timeout with about 8.5 minutes remaining in the 1st half 'cause he was running on fumes.

Top Bottom