Frazier done deal?

gopherfield

Reaction score
Could Frazier possibly be a done deal? Why would "league sources say Frazier is interested in the Gophers job already?" Brewster's dismissal just happened this morning while Frazier was preparing for Dallas. So, apparently Frazier has discussed this in the previous days or weeks? Certainly since the NIU game, the Gopher AD and Prez had at the very least started a contingency plan for us possibly going 1-6 after Purdue which would bring us to today's announcement. Were they already making contact with some people through intermediaries, and was one of these Dungy/Frazier?

Doubt it. One of the beat writers probably asked someone somewhere would he be interested and the answer was yes. I wish it were true.

I would think Frazier might open himself to a fair amount of criticism if he were to bolt the Vikings in the middle of the season.

I would think Frazier might open himself to a fair amount of criticism if he were to bolt the Vikings in the middle of the season.

I know it would be strange, but why say you are interested then? The Vikings season likely goes until January no matter what, and could be closer to February. The Gophers aren't going to wait into January this time to name a coach.

No way. the Gophers would be this dumb to screw this up again. They will wait until the end of the season and hired the best man for this job. They better not f*** this up again.

While i like Frazier. I think the Gophers are better off finding a college guy to be there coach.

gopherfield, I think that's what I'm driving at. Unless this would be his last stop, Frazier would have to answer for previous decisions as his career moved into a different stage. Leaving a job in the middle of the active part of a contract just isn't a good move, promotion or not.

I'm sure there has or will be some communication between Tony Dungy and Frazier. If he takes it or is recommended by TG I would go with that decision. Tony would not give bad advice to either Frazier or the U. he is nothing but honest and 1st class.

I'm sure there has or will be some communication between Tony Dungy and Frazier. If he takes it or is recommended by TG I would go with that decision. Tony would not give bad advice to either Frazier or the U. he is nothing but honest and 1st class.

Tony is honest and first class, but that doesn't mean he'd be right. I hope they get a lot of input and make a solid decision that incorporates multiple viewpoints, but is clearly centered on what it will take to put together a solid program.

worried

I would not be in favor of Leslie Frazier as the Gopher head coach. His only head coaching experience is a then NAIA school, now DIII school that had 900 students. Why not hire Mike Grant if that is the choice? He has been a successful head coach.

There are too many questions. Yes, he's been a coordinator in the NFL. He might be good. He might not. He has a lot of talent with the Vikings. They don't pursue the football. They constantly give up first downs on third and 20.

Why would he be interested if he is a competitive confident guy? He has been a front runner for a couple of NFL head coaching jobs. Seemingly someone will give him a chance in the NFL as a head coach? Right? So why disrupt your present team (your present job) and announce your candidacy? Why not patiently wait and become an NFL head coach? Unless you doubt your abilities?

I'd rather we shoot for more proven candidates: Chris Peterson Boise St, Jon Gruden NFL,
The Oregon program builder...guys like that.

No idea if Frazier can recruit. He hasn't done it. You wouldn't think of hiring him if he said he could start soon and if has to wait until January...that's a lot of lost recruiting time. Just not the guy for lots of reasons.

The Vikings are actually one of the best in the league on third down.

And what has Jon Gruden proven at the college level exactly?

I really have no interest in John Gruden.

I think most schemes can work, but I really think John Gruden would run an offense that is far too complicated for the college level. It would make Fisch's offense look simple. This is a guy who has a hard time dealing with young NFL QB's, could you imagine him dealing with M. Gray or Alipate? I also witnessed Callahan (Gruden's O coordinator)'s offense fail miserably at Nebraska.

No thanks to Gruden for me. For the amount of money it would take to lure Gruden to MN, you could land a prime college football coach.

I have absolutely zero desire to see Leslie Frazier as the Gophers coach. He has no D-1 (FBS or FCS) experience as a head coach and I think the U needs to look at that and not some defensive coordinator in the NFL who hasn't been in the college since 1998.

Doubt it. One of the beat writers probably asked someone somewhere would he be interested and the answer was yes. I wish it were true.

Agreed. Just because someone says they are interested doesn't imply a done deal. After the South
Dakota loss, a whole lot of coaches became interested in this job.

we need a college head coach-no more nfl guys, please. we need someone who has been a d1 head coach and had success winning football games at this level. anyone w/o that background needs to go in the "no" pile-

teh NCAA is not Rigged like the NFL so we really need to find a coach from another college team not an actor from the NFL.

we need a college head coach-no more nfl guys, please. we need someone who has been a d1 head coach and had success winning football games at this level. anyone w/o that background needs to go in the "no" pile-

Finding an unemployed successful coach is like online computer dating. He/she might seem like a great catch, but why are they on here in the first place? ;)

The worst thing a program can do, as evidenced by going from Mason to Brewster, is to automatically try to find a new coach who represents the antithesis of the past coach. Brewster came from the NFL but this does not mean I am going to throw any NFL coach out of consideration for next head coach of the U as we need to hire the best candidate regardless of whether they come from the NFL or a BCS conference college.

The way that hiring Leslie Frazier could work is if he is open to retaining Horton as OC. Frazier could use his day off to put together a staff while Horton handled recruiting duties. Frazier's reputation alone should be enough to retain the recruits on the defensive side of the ball and stability on the offense, at least at the coordinator position, should help retain the offensive recruits.

My only concerns.

I like the idea of Frazier coaching the Gophers for many reasons. #1 He is one of the the top assistants in the NFL and is always on the short list of guys looking to become head coaches. #2 he has proven to be able to coach very good defenses and a good defensive mind in a need IMO. #3 He has been waiting for a head coaching job he will be driven to succeed.

My only concerns would be what kind of staff he can build. Does he have some strong college guys that would follow him to the U to be assistant coaches who can recruit.

Top Bottom