FoxSports: Urban Meyer is the fakest major college coach in America.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
FoxSports rips the Buckeye coach:

Everyone not wearing scarlet and grey should know that Urban Meyer is the fakest major college coach in America.

Some people ask, why are you so hard on Urban Meyer?

The answer's simple, because Urban Meyer is completely and totally full of it. He wins football games by any means necessary.

He has to be the most hypocritical coach in major college football. He has to claim he's winning the "right way." No matter what you do, everyone has worked in a profession with a hypocrite, a person who tries to control his image to such an extent that he himself actually starts to believe his own lies.

That's Urban Meyer.

He's so much of an enabler that he even enables himself to believe his own lies.

Because Urban Meyer makes his own rules, breaks them, and then calls out media and fans for daring to notice. Often this works with local media, who are usually so afraid of being shut out on big stories that they walk around all moony-eyed as Urban talks. But slowly that infatuation wears off for both media and fans. "Wait a minute," they start to realize, "Urban Meyer just told me that one felony plus one felony equaled zero felonies. That can't be right."

Urban Meyer puts winning above everything — including the law. And if you put winning above all else eventually your program falls apart.

Better keep ESPN on speed dial, Urban. Before all is said and done at Ohio State, they're going to have to bail you out again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...te-carlos-hyde-bradley-roby-in-trouble-072213

Go Gophers!!

Did anyone think otherwise?
He embodied the $EC mentality until Saban upped things.
Dirtbag who wins, any other way to describe him is false.

Did anyone think otherwise?
He embodied the $EC mentality until Saban upped things.
Dirtbag who wins, any other way to describe him is false.

I am curious what Saban has supposedly done? He has largely has his players stay out of trouble with the law and avoided NCAA sanctions. Also, was Saban a good guy when at Michigan State in your mind or what changed in him when he went to the dreaded SEC in your mind.

I also suspect that you and many others would have no problem with Urban or Saban if they wanted to coach at Minnesota.

I am curious what Saban has supposedly done? He has largely has his players stay out of trouble with the law and avoided NCAA sanctions. Also, was Saban a good guy when at Michigan State in your mind or what changed in him when he went to the dreaded SEC in your mind.

I also suspect that you and many others would have no problem with Urban or Saban if they wanted to coach at Minnesota.

I think he meant that Urban couldn't compete with Saban and got out of dodge.

I don't understand this mentality on Meyer, and I never will. All the guy does is win (and win big) everywhere he goes, and has zero NCAA violations of any consequence over a coaching career spanning almost 3 decades. I get that he has had a lot of players break the law (several fairly seriously), but you can't win in the modern game by recruiting choir boys. He recruits the best players he can get, and unfortunately a lot of them have been criminals. But what laws or NCAA regulations has he personally broken? The whole thing just reeks of sour grapes to me. Get your panties all in a twist when he actually commits an NCAA violation and gets popped for it.

I don't understand this mentality on Meyer, and I never will. All the guy does is win (and win big) everywhere he goes, and has zero NCAA violations of any consequence over a coaching career spanning almost 3 decades. I get that he has had a lot of players break the law (several fairly seriously), but you can't win in the modern game by recruiting choir boys. He recruits the best players he can get, and unfortunately a lot of them have been criminals. But what laws or NCAA regulations has he personally broken? The whole thing just reeks of sour grapes to me. Get your panties all in a twist when he actually commits an NCAA violation and gets popped for it.

I must admit, I find your opening sentence ironic here. Especially considering the rest of the post. If you want to argue that he hasn't technically broken any major NCAA rules (at least that we know of), then that's fine. But recruiting a fair amount of criminals to win a bunch of football games doesn't scream out the need for respect or admiration either. If that's what you find acceptable, then great. Just don't be surprised if people hold him and his staff accountable for the types of folks they're willing to bring in to represent their program.

If he is right about Meyer, that means OSU has had two huge hypocrites in a row.

Just don't be surprised if people hold him and his staff accountable for the types of folks they're willing to bring in to represent their program.

Is Bill Belichick a sleazy scumbag dirtball?

i concur

Is Bill Belichick a sleazy scumbag dirtball?

It's always been known the NFL has problems with arrests. That's why I never take anything coaches or administrators in the NFL say about "character" being an important factor in drafting or signing guys seriously. When it comes down to it, if the guy can play, they'll find a way to get him into the fold (with the only exception apparently being in cases of 1st degree murder). I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Belichick is a "sleazy scumbag dirtball" as you put it. But do I know it for sure? No. But I'd be willing to bet he's no saint.

I don't have stats to back this up, but my gut tells me that, if you examined the roster of every D1 FB program in the country, you would find at least one player with off-field problems on a very high % of teams. It's basic math - out of any random sample of 100+ young men in the 18-22 yr old age group, odds are very high that at least one of them has been arrested for something.

The question is - do certain coaches and/or certain teams tend to have a higher percentage of off-field incidents? If someone out there is better on the internets than I am, maybe they can come up with some numbers.

And, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of D1 coaches try, to some extent, to manipulate their public image with the fans and the media. Certainly, we've seen Reusse and others claim that Kill uses his "country boy" routine as a front. Having said that, my gut also tells me that Meyer is a very practiced manipulator.

Bottom line - each program has to anwer this question: what price are you willing to pay for a winning program?

differant era

I don't understand this mentality on Meyer, and I never will. All the guy does is win (and win big) everywhere he goes, and has zero NCAA violations of any consequence over a coaching career spanning almost 3 decades.

This is a different era of NCAA compliance. The NCAA doesn't have the resources or the inclination to put any of the money making programs on probation. Someone gave Cam Newtons father $200,000 to attend Auburn and that was deemed ok. Does anyone really believe the major programs are clean? Yahoo sports has uncovered more cheating than the NCAA the past 10 years. 15+ years ago, we fired everyone associated with an academic cheating scandal. North Carolina is fighting it and Roy Williams is going to walk away clean.
Saying there are no NCAA violations in his career doesn't mean the same as it did when we said it about coaches like Joe Paterno 15 years ago.
Or maybe it does mean the same thing. Their dirty as hell, we just want to be blissfully unaware of it.

From the poster who throws a temper tantrum every time someone talks about the 1997 Final Four or Big Ten title, is now bringing up the architect of SpyGate to make a point? Can't make it up. Of course he'll have some witty response and will use hyperbole like he always does in defense. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/spygate/

You're right. I completely forgot about Spygate. Maybe Belichick really is a scumball. I still think there's a double standard in that when NFL players get in trouble it's on the player, and when college players get in trouble it's on the coach.

You're right. I completely forgot about Spygate. Maybe Belichick really is a scumball. I still think there's a double standard in that when NFL players get in trouble it's on the player, and when college players get in trouble it's on the coach.

There definitely is but I understand why. College coaches themselves still call their players "kids" all the time. Players also talk about how coaches are "father figures" in college. In the NFL, it's pretty much all business. In college, there is a real-life, becoming a man type of thing going on. Academics, being away from home the first time, etc.

I'm not saying it's right or fair sometimes, it's just the way it is.

i've never had a problem with Meyer, he is actually one of my favorites, maybe just because he will get the big ten back into competing in national titles but still, and i dont see why people say that Urban left Florida because Saban was getting things going at Bama, the guy had already won 2 National titles at Florida anyways

That is a good point about accountability. I hadn't thought of that before, not sure why that is. It may have something to do with coaches in college recruit the kids, whereas in the NFL the coach may have nothing to do with a guy being there, it could be the GM more. An interesting thing to think about though.

agree 100%

perhaps one of the biggest throwaway articles i have ever read.

I don't think Meyer is actually worse than a lot of coaches, but I do think he is a lot worse than some coaches. The issue that pisses people off is all of his preaching about doing things the right way, retiring to work on his faith and family, when is fact the issues were he had lost control of the FL players and Saban just scared the crap out of him. I don't think he improves his players character, which is true for a lot of coaches, but the hypocrisy is what annoys people.
As far as Saban goes, the only negatives I have heard are that he is a tough guy to employ. He and his wife, she is basically his manager, have very high expectations of how they are treated and appear to enjoy building a program when every one is in love with what they are doing, more than having a great program and putting up with the whining from occasional disappointments like the loss to Auburn.
I would not want Meyer and would not really want Saban because he would be unhappy about a week after getting here.

Top Bottom