Fox 9: How Coronavirus could impact Daniel Oturu’s NBA future

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wald:

Coronavirus has shut down the sports world. It forced the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament, it canceled local high school state championships and has the professional sports world at a halt.

It could also have an impact on college basketball prospects and their looming decision of whether to stay in school, or pursue the NBA Draft process. One such athlete in that predicament is University of Minnesota sophomore Daniel Oturu.

The NBA league office sent to memo to NCAA coaches on Tuesday, saying the league is accepting applications to the Undergraduate Advisory Committee. That’s the organization that gives prospects feedback on their potential draft stock.

Go Gophers!!

Personally, although I'm not committed to this opinion, I think the cancellation of the NCAA tournament helps his pro prospects. Every year there are a few guys whose stock rises considerably as a result of the NCAA tournament (for example, Donte DiVencenzo, Derrick Williams, the entire 2005 North Carolina starting team). There were none of those this year so Daniel wouldn't drop down the list as a result of that phenomena.

I don't think the tournament would've helped or hurt his stock a whole heck of a lot. Scouts are mostly decided on guys way before the tournament. The NBA draft is so weird because it seems like they litereally just build boards based on the previous year's recruiting rankings and refuse to update. Guys who aren't good at all in college still get picked in the first round because of perceived upside.

There are some exceptions of course. DiVencenzo accelerated his stock by a year with an awesome tournament but he was on the map without a doubt. Kemba probably boosted his with that epic run in 2011. But I tend to think it takes a ridiculous kind of run like that to help a guy.

I do hope this whole thing hurts Oturu's prospect status though on the chance that it could sway him to return and dominate. I still think it's like a 90ish (on low end) percent chance that he's gone because kids don't just leave to be 1st rounders anymore (they leave just to leave).

I really get a kick how most of the media pundits are pushing Oturo to go pro - get the money! It would nice if someone would advise him to stay another year to garner MVP chances, help the team become very good, enjoy the college experience, and delay one year to getting millionaire status!

He would be on the NPOY short list if he returns. He's better than Garza because of his impact on the defensive end.

I really get a kick how most of the media pundits are pushing Oturo to go pro - get the money! It would nice if someone would advise him to stay another year to garner MVP chances, help the team become very good, enjoy the college experience, and delay one year to getting millionaire status!

The pendulum has really swung on this issue. Not long ago, many media pundits would drone on about the value of an education, another year of getting ready, etc. It was about them having stories to write and not about the kid. Now it's completely the other way. The environment has changed by 180 degrees, but these media folks are in it for their livelihood and not the well-being of the kid.

He would be on the NPOY short list if he returns. He's better than Garza because of his impact on the defensive end.
And way higher ceiling athletically

Win-win situation: Oturu stays. The Gophers go deep into the Big Ten Tournament and NCAAs next year with him in the lineup. Oturu gets picked in 1st round of 2021 draft. ?

The pendulum has really swung on this issue. Not long ago, many media pundits would drone on about the value of an education, another year of getting ready, etc. It was about them having stories to write and not about the kid. Now it's completely the other way. The environment has changed by 180 degrees, but these media folks are in it for their livelihood and not the well-being of the kid.

What's best for the kid is to get the first round guaranteed contract and money as soon as he can if he is likely to get that. He is at least as likely to fall in the draft if he delays and, even worse, he could get hurt. He can always finish college later.

And I say that as a person who believes in higher education (2 graduate degrees) and has benefitted from that but I never had Daniel's opportunities.

What's best for the kid is to get the first round guaranteed contract and money as soon as he can if he is likely to get that. He is at least as likely to fall in the draft if he delays and, even worse, he could get hurt. He can always finish college later.

And I say that as a person who believes in higher education (2 graduate degrees) and has benefitted from that but I never had Daniel's opportunities.

That's the question. Is he first round guaranteed or not. So far, there appear to be no assurances. Good for him if he goes. He's going to get paid to play no matter what.

It's crazy I've seen Oturu ranked anywhere from no. 7 to 44 on mock draft lists. So I guess there's the range.

Personally, although I'm not committed to this opinion, I think the cancellation of the NCAA tournament helps his pro prospects. Every year there are a few guys whose stock rises considerably as a result of the NCAA tournament (for example, Donte DiVencenzo, Derrick Williams, the entire 2005 North Carolina starting team). There were none of those this year so Daniel wouldn't drop down the list as a result of that phenomena.

Agreed.

Top Bottom