Fox 9: AD Mark Coyle belives better days ahead for Gophers Football

He said it, not me. And, he didn't say who. Coaches don't kiss and tell. It appears that you are questioning Fleck's character too.

Hey now - I never questioned his character. I just don't buy the hugs and kisses in his presser as sincere. I mean, what was he gonna say? However, I don't think any less of him for doing it - because, what else was he gonna say? I'm on the boat, rowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said he loved Kalamazoo and planned to spend many years there...oh, wait...
That was his plan as it should be. Winning coaches don't coach as if they're planning their promotion or they wouldn't be winning coaches.
But you continue to question PJF's integrity. That's unfortunate.

That was his plan as it should be. Winning coaches don't coach as if they're planning their promotion or they wouldn't be winning coaches.

Dear. So you think he was sincere when he said he never planned to leave WMU too? If PJF told you the earth was flat would you be torn? You, KGF, have a serious crush on him.

Like the effort, but you need a lot more practice.

How exactly have I questioned his integrity? Because he essentially said what every other new FBS HC says at the opening presser, and I take it with a grain of salt? You really must be that naive.

I am really impressed with Mark Coyle.

It's like for the first time in 30 years, we have a real division 1 AD who knows what a head coach is supposed to be.

We have great years ahead!

It's like for the first time in 30 years, we have a real division 1 AD who knows what a head coach is supposed to be.

You better check that opinion with Spoofin for approval first

Dear. So you think he was sincere when he said he never planned to leave WMU too? If PJF told you the earth was flat would you be torn? You, KGF, have a serious crush on him.

I think, and I've heard many top coaches say it, coach as if this is your last job, and if you don't, you'll lose that one instead of getting the next one.
He may have dreamed of coaching at a B1G school, but he was not planning something that is unknown and not a present concern.
I don't believe that he is now planning on leaving Minnesota for the big time (Ohio St or Michigan or whoever) though that may happen someday.

If it smells like Lou Holtz, it must be Lou Holtz.

Thanks for sharing, Mrs Coyle. [emoji140]

Let's see what his other hires are before we throw the parade....

Oh and maybe see how PJ does.

I don't believe that he is now planning on leaving Minnesota for the big time (Ohio St or Michigan or whoever) though that may happen someday.

Wait! What do you mean it may happen. He said at his presser that THIS was his dream job. Why on earth would he leave his dream job? Unless, you are questioning that and his character/integrity.

Wait! What do you mean it may happen. He said at his presser that THIS was his dream job. Why on earth would he leave his dream job? Unless, you are questioning that and his character/integrity.

I didn't say he thinks it may happen. He's thinking Minnesota Gophers! Ski-U-Mah! Row The Boat! Nothing else!
Gesh, you need to pay attention.

I didn't say he thinks it may happen. He's thinking Minnesota Gophers! Ski-U-Mah! Row The Boat! Nothing else!
Gesh, you need to pay attention.

Have a good night. Go Gophers!

I hope they have knee pads available at PJ's public appearances, or there are going to be some people with holes in their pants.

So when it comes to a job like WMU what he says doesn't necessarily have to be sincere and that is ok but when he gets a promotion everything he says about his new boss is sincere? What world do you live in?

Are you Coyle's kid or something? You are finally starting to make sense.

For those questioning Coyle's reasons for letting Claeys go.
-How was his bottom of the B1G recruiting class going to improve? They were at the point where they were going to start reaching for low 3 star and 2 star guys. With all the bad press due to the scandal, it was going to be really hard to get any quality players. So moving up in the recruiting rankings was not likely to happen. So yes, there was a recruiting concern.
-Ticket sales for the casual fan a lot of time depend on the head coaches ability to sell the program. College football doesn't have players as the face of the team like the NFL does. They have a head coach. If that coach doesn't connect with the average fan, ticket sales are going to slump. Claeys is a great defensive coach, but his personality, he is very stale.
-Culture was the other issue. His players ran a train on a girl, and it caused a lot of bad press and involved a minor on a recruiting visit. Claeys still cannot understand there was a problem. He is still oblivious to why that would look bad. Still hasn't taken any responsibility. He has shown to many that he is not capable to lead a team of this kind.

I hope they have knee pads available at PJ's public appearances, or there are going to be some people with holes in their pants.
I'm far from obsequios toward PJ Fleck, but I do believe that he was the Gophers best choice at this point in the program's circumstance. He's got a record of achievement as a head coach. So, I fully support his vision and aspirations for Gopher Football, but we also know the challenges his job will entail. I think he's a very good coach. I'm hoping he turns out to be a great coach. Here's hoping he succeeds!
But these posts tonight were about his relationship with Mark Coyle and whether PJ thinks if Coyle is a "sleazeball". I've seen nothing to convince me that he doesn't like and admire Mark Coyle, whether anybody likes it or not.

Thank you for those replies as they only reinforced my point. Coyle gets the blame while Claeys gets a pass. Nevermind the fact that he is the head frickin coach. Nevermind the fact that these are his players and his responsibility. Nevermind the fact that the recruit involved has parents who trusted that their son would be properly taken care of. Nevermind the fact that Claeys didn't kick the involved players off the team and end this whole thing in September. It was Claeys' program, it was Claeys' players, and it's Claeys' mess.

So, Coyle, who still has his job for now, has gotten off almost scott free in the press for failing to do his job, repeatedly and consistently from Sept 3 on, and Claeys, who made his mistakes was fired.

How does that mean Claeys got a pass? It was Claeys' program, it was Claeys' players, this is true. The mess, is the University of Minnesota's. By your logic, and it's the logic many have applied - Coyle was Claeys' boss. He's responsible for Claeys' program. Coyle could have ended this all back in September. This is as much his mess as anyone elses, but, he still has a job and has not suffered any repercussions (notice the difference here? He's still employed, for now. Kaler, who is Coyle's boss had all of the same information. He is responsible for Coyle. He could have ended this back in September. It's his University, and his hire as AD, and his football program, utlimately, but has he accepted any blame or faced any repercussion? No. All he's done is keep his job (until May anyway) and pour gasoline on the fire at nearly every chance he got. A lot of what went on will come out over time. His lack of leadership has been appalling. Coyle's complete and total lack of leadership has been disgraceful. Claeys made mistakes that also deserved firing, and guess what, he got fired. If you truly believe that this mess is Claeys' and Claeys' alone you didn't pay attention to what the administration did from 9/3 until they fired him.

My disappointment was the misleading headline to the article. Great things ahead for the you with Coyle's name involved should only end with ......as Mark Coyle handed in his resignation and took responsibility for sitting around with this thumb up his ass while the football scandal escalated.

Let's see what his other hires are before we throw the parade....

Oh and maybe see how PJ does.

Of course it's early, but he found a way to upgrade coaches (in my opinion).
We have a much better coach for marketing the program.

We'll see where he goes from here, but most AD's without any balls would have just stuck with the status quo until we go to a 2-10 / 3-9 season.
I hate it when we do that.

No parade planned yet though.

So when it comes to a job like WMU what he says doesn't necessarily have to be sincere and that is ok but when he gets a promotion everything he says about his new boss is sincere? What world do you live in?
What did he say about WMU that wasn't sincere? Did he say he would never leave WMU? Did he say he would never leave Minnesota? No. This is his job, as WMU was his job, and he's 100% focus on doing that job and no other.
That's not that hard to understand.

What did he say about WMU that wasn't sincere? Did he say he would never leave WMU? Did he say he would never leave Minnesota? No. This is his job, as WMU was his job, and he's 100% focus on doing that job and no other.
That's not that hard to understand.

Just a couple months ago he said he planned to coach many more years there. See the point? At the time that's what he was suppose to say to the press. Just like when he said he liked his new boss. It's just what you say. I can't believe you really don't get this. I bet you really do and are just being a d!ck because no one is this stupid.

So, Coyle, who still has his job for now, has gotten off almost scott free in the press for failing to do his job, repeatedly and consistently from Sept 3 on, and Claeys, who made his mistakes was fired.

How does that mean Claeys got a pass? It was Claeys' program, it was Claeys' players, this is true. The mess, is the University of Minnesota's. By your logic, and it's the logic many have applied - Coyle was Claeys' boss. He's responsible for Claeys' program. Coyle could have ended this all back in September. This is as much his mess as anyone elses, but, he still has a job and has not suffered any repercussions (notice the difference here? He's still employed, for now. Kaler, who is Coyle's boss had all of the same information. He is responsible for Coyle. He could have ended this back in September. It's his University, and his hire as AD, and his football program, utlimately, but has he accepted any blame or faced any repercussion? No. All he's done is keep his job (until May anyway) and pour gasoline on the fire at nearly every chance he got. A lot of what went on will come out over time. His lack of leadership has been appalling. Coyle's complete and total lack of leadership has been disgraceful. Claeys made mistakes that also deserved firing, and guess what, he got fired. If you truly believe that this mess is Claeys' and Claeys' alone you didn't pay attention to what the administration did from 9/3 until they fired him.

My disappointment was the misleading headline to the article. Great things ahead for the you with Coyle's name involved should only end with ......as Mark Coyle handed in his resignation and took responsibility for sitting around with this thumb up his ass while the football scandal escalated.
If Coyle hired Claeys, you might be right. But he inherited him. Claeys went along with Coyle and Kaler in September, but decided to play both sides of the fence in December when that wasn't a choice. He said to the team, "this could get me fired" and then you're surprised when it did. Claeys wasn't surprised. He was disappointed, but not surprised b/c he knew he bungled it. He just didn't like what Coyle had to say at the press conference of his departure. Maybe Coyle wasn't elegant in his handling of the matter, but whether Coyle was right or not about firing Claeys is a matter of opinion. I think he was right. Some disagree. But I don't think he's a "sleazeball" as some have described him.

Of course it's early, but he found a way to upgrade coaches (in my opinion).
We have a much better coach for marketing the program.

We'll see where he goes from here, but most AD's without any balls would have just stuck with the status quo until we go to a 2-10 / 3-9 season.
I hate it when we do that.

No parade planned yet though.

He has a noteworthy head coach. That is nice, but this is still just a prospect type P5 coach.

Don't know if I'd say that about the rest of the staff, i'm kinda concerned there.

It's also not like he had to wheel and deal or anything.... we were the only folks looking for an HC.

I'm excited and all but as for AD results, very incomplete.

Just a couple months ago he said he planned to coach many more years there. See the point? At the time that's what he was suppose to say to the press. Just like when he said he liked his new boss. It's just what you say. I can't believe you really don't get this. I bet you really do and are just being a d!ck because no one is this stupid.
No, that's not what he's supposed to say. That's what he has to believe. If not, he won't do the job where he's at.

You know, I don't generally post much b/c I've got more important stuff to worry about. But this bull**** of demeaning people is cowardly. You're a coward b/c you would not say "no one is that stupid" to my face. Trust me. You wouldn't.

You know, I don't generally post much b/c I've got more important stuff to worry about. But this bull**** of demeaning people is cowardly. You're a coward b/c you would not say "no one is that stupid" to my face. Trust me. You wouldn't.

LOL. Yeah I think if we were at a bar having the same conversation I would have thought and said the same thing.

Top Bottom